UFC PPV numbers for the year so far

Pretty good numbers, I imagine 191 will be the weakest PPV but I think will still do well. There has been a lot of attention surrounding Johnson in the media not being a big draw so I am sure the UFC pumped so more money into that. I think 191 will do around 200 to 300K. 192 and 193 should do ok around 400k and 194 should break the mill. I think they will finish around 7 million. Which would be great, 3 shows close to a mill and an average or roughly 540k per show

i don't see the MM card doing more than 200k. I'm more excited about watching pvz fight than MM.

Look at last year and see what number jumps out....

2014%2BPPVs.png

DOH! Right after I posted it, I noticed the TJ show....two shows in the same range do not make an "outlier!"

I was just saying it's a pretty bad outlier for the year; you'd think the more a champion fights, the more buys he'd be able to draw, but it just doesn't seem to be the case with Johnson.

PPV buys for the UFC this year have been based on luck

They got lucky Jones Cocaine test didn't prevent him from fighting
They got lucky Anderson didn't test positive till after the fight
They got lucky the Heavyweight belt was finally on the line
They got lucky Ronda doesn't need an opponent or card to sell and she hasn't been injured

Looking at it for what it really is......some weak cards, some no name main eventers, ungodly amounts of money spent on marketing, and clever use of over the hill fighters to provide "name" value to casual fans.

I've purchased less PPV's this year than any other in history.

DOH! Right after I posted it, I noticed the TJ show....two shows in the same range do not make an "outlier!"

Yes and no.

His 125k isn't an outlier for DJ, but it's an outlier among the champions for sure. I'm not sure which would be worse if you're DJ.

DJ really needs serious promotional help if he wants to get up to at least an average level.

They got lucky Ronda doesn't need an opponent or card to sell and she hasn't been injured

Looking at it for what it really is......some weak cards, some no name main eventers, ungodly amounts of money spent on marketing, and clever use of over the hill fighters to provide "name" value to casual fans.

Your an idiot.

1. Jones doing coke is irrelevant to pro fighting. Irrelevant. the UFC got UNLUCKY that Jones crashed a car, and forced them to suspend him. UFC 187 would have done 500k buys probably with him there

2. Ill give you they were lucky about Anderson

3. "Lucky the HW belt was on the line"??? You mean unlucky last year. Belts should be defended thats not luck.

4. UFC built Ronda and made the extremely astute decision to bring women in when they did

dont know if youre being sarcastic but TJ vs soto was literally made the day before when renan got ko'd by the bath tub. if the rematch happened i would guess the buys would be significantly higher (yet still low)

ronda doing 900k buys last card is absolutely outstanding. imo that was one of the worst ppv cards ever (on paper). im shocked at how low the numbers were for ufc 187

a big part of ppv buys and trends is a lot of fans tuning in and being impressed. i think ufc 189 + ronda + conor + the return of jones will produce some big events next year. i think both weidman and TJ will build a fan base with continued success. the ufc only needs 3 ppv stars to have a great ppv year. when jones clears up his legal issues this will blast his ppv numbers. love it or hate it, its a story people will tune in to

ronda + conor + jones could headline 8 million ppv buys alone next year. of course a few things need to go right for that to happen but its not a long shot or anything imo

I agree with the latter. I don't think the TJ/Barao rematch was doing any higher, though. That was probably the weakest PPV lineup in history even before the Barao injury.

But yea, if Conor and Ronda each fight twice and Jones comes back, that sets them up pretty well. I think at this point Silva is still a slightly bigger draw than Jones and he'll likely fight at least once next year, which should do a big number as well. I don't think 8 million is out of reach. Although they were doing 15-16 PPVs per year in the "glory days" so that number's a little harder to reach now.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

I love when Sherdoggers think because THEY don't like X fighter or THEY didn't buy the PPV, that no one else does or did.

I bought more PPV's this year than I did last year so I guess it's not luck?

Yes and no.

His 125k isn't an outlier for DJ, but it's an outlier among the champions for sure. I'm not sure which would be worse if you're DJ.

DJ really needs serious promotional help if he wants to get up to at least an average level.

That belt should never again be defended in the main event of a PPV. Either co-main or TV main event.

Maybe never is too strong but certainly not any time soon.

And for the person who said they were "lucky the HW belt was on the line"...

Outside of the MM show, that was the lowest number of the year. Cain holding the belt hostage for years killed that division.

Your an idiot.

1. Jones doing coke is irrelevant to pro fighting. Irrelevant. the UFC got UNLUCKY that Jones crashed a car, and forced them to suspend him. UFC 187 would have done 500k buys probably with him there

3. "Lucky the HW belt was on the line"??? You mean unlucky last year. Belts should be defended thats not luck.

4. UFC built Ronda and made the extremely astute decision to bring women in when they did

I always love these

In a way I feel like they blew their wad as far as any more huge fights. But then there is still cm punk and maybe fedor

He said on the most recent podcast that I heard that it was a "little over 800", the 825,000 number I got from Wikapedia, which sources MMAPayout.com

The 900,000 number for 190 I've seen on Wikapedia, Tapology and MMAPayout. If Dave gives out a number that contradicts that, I'll update the info on my site.

Ok, because the last few things I heard him say had no exact numbers for either!
Thanks for clarifying

In a way I feel like they blew their wad as far as any more huge fights. But then there is still cm punk and maybe fedor

Yeah ...
Conor vs Aldo
Ronda vs Tate

Not like they won't do 1m each

:p

Your an idiot.

I agree with you except about Ronda. Ronda built Ronda. She herself is a marketing machine. She talked her way into a title fight with Tate in Strikeforce and nearly broke her arm off. She campaigned for women in the UFC all over the networks and convinced Dana to bring her in. The combination of her dominant fighting style, destroying girls in the first rd, compelling life story medaling in the Olympics, father committing suicide suicide, attractiveness (to most outside Sherdog) and her own will to be the best is what drives the engine.

The UFC is like the Poker player who flopped a royal flush, you can tip your cap to them but they got lucky with the hand. Dana will even tell you he had no idea Ronda would be this huge.

Damn, you outdone your regular stupid on that one.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

I love when Sherdoggers think because THEY don't like X fighter or THEY didn't buy the PPV, that no one else does or did.

My favorite is the "I don't know anyone who ordered this PPV and I didn't either and Sherdog told me it was going to bomb, therefore I don't believe the numbers and Meltzer is a UFC shill". It's like watching a bunch of retards trying to hump a doorknob.

Last year's numbers were just awful though. It's pretty shocking that Aldo and MM's numbers are competing for some of the lowest and that MM straight up outdrew Aldo on one.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

That's a pretty stupid assumption to make considering the buyrates are all printed right there :rolleyes: Nor did I say any of that.

You also bought an account to post here, I think it says more about you wasting your money than it does the direction of the company.

It looks like there won't be as many PPV's next year, so maybe it's their intention to not have Mighty Mouse as headliner any more. I'm basing this off the fact that UFC 200 is targeted for Independence Day weekend, meaning there will only be 5 PPV's between 194 and 200, when there's usually 7. 195 NYE, 196 Super Bowl, 199 Memorial Day.

I never knew your site existed. Looks interesting but navigation is a little difficult.

When comparing years by PPV success, it might be a good idea to make sure you only credit each year with one NYE show. The NYE show is typically a big event that does well on PPV, but it can fall in either late Dec or early Jan, helping or hurting certain years' PPV numbers. For example, 2014 wouldn't be credited with either Silva/Weidman 2 or Jones/Cormier.

That belt should never again be defended in the main event of a PPV. Either co-main or TV main event.

Maybe never is too strong but certainly not any time soon.

And for the person who said they were "lucky the HW belt was on the line"...

Outside of the MM show, that was the lowest number of the year. Cain holding the belt hostage for years killed that division.

The HW champ has never been a huge draw outside of Brock fighting....and Couture of course.

Back