UFC PED policy can suspend fighters bc of what teammates do

All this to make Tim Kennedy happy? I'm so glad Yoel didn't feet off his stool in time!

I think it would be easier just to suspend the entire gym or team if someone is caught using. Maybe make people who are caught ineligible for the belt as well.

You'll probably get everyone becoming "nomads" that aren't officially tied to gyms and just spend lots of time there.

If some guy at Alpha Male got busted for roids, would you really suspend all of those guys from the nude calendar? Who is officially a member? What if someone joined 1 week before that guy got busted...

What if some guy trains primarily out of a branch in Dallas but shows up one day a month to train with the guys in Austin, and it's Austin that gets caught.

I think making the suspension for training with a suspended fighter at least requires them to "catch" the second guy doing something specific.

Yep. The UFC and the NFL are structured differently. But the PED policy being criticized here is not significantly different in principle than what we see in other sports.

Lets put it differently: the dolphins are part of the NFL. If a player is suspended from the NFL, then it makes sense that the guy is suspended from the dolphins.

Nova Uniao, AKA or Tristar, on the other hand, are not under UFC rules. Therefore, making then stop working with a fighter is overreaching. Can the UFC ban some guy from even trying to get in the UFC just because he lifted weights with some suspended guy in your local rec center?

Well they can suspend the whole ufc roster, because every single fighter that can afford it is using PED's.

The thing is, the UFC will get to pick and choose where to apply this policy thusly:

"In order for this provision to apply, it is necessary that the Athlete or other Person has previously been advised in writing by USADA, of the Athlete Support Person

Good move, most people in the gym have a way better idea of who is using.

Mistake in this context is a euphemism for breaking the rules.

I bet an accountant who makes the "mistake" of embezzlement never gets hired again as an accountant.

Maybe. But I doubt the regulator's office will suspend him from even assist another accountant, as a secretary, for instance, in his work.

Would they suspend the other accountant for hiring a "suspended" guy to help him set meetings or serve coffee?

That's how stupid the rule is.

Drug testing is ruining the sport.

This. I hope everyone will enjoy seeing fighters out for 2 years or just shittier fights in general. Oh, and don't forget more and longer lasting injuries.

Lets put it differently: the dolphins are part of the NFL. If a player is suspended from the NFL, then it makes sense that the guy is suspended from the dolphins.

Nova Uniao, AKA or Tristar, on the other hand, are not under UFC rules. Therefore, making then stop working with a fighter is overreaching. Can the UFC ban some guy from even trying to get in the UFC just because he lifted weights with some suspended guy in your local rec center?

I get your point. The UFC is using its relationship with individual fighters to keep them from training with fighters suspended for PEDs. By doing this, they are indirectly determining how gyms structure their workouts and training schedules. I question how it would be enforced for one thing.

Still, TS is acting as if the sky is falling, when being isolated from elite training is a very common result of a PED suspension in other sports.

Maybe. But I doubt the regulator's office will suspend him from even assist another accountant, as a secretary, for instance, in his work.

Would they suspend the other accountant for hiring a "suspended" guy to help him set meetings or serve coffee?

That's how stupid the rule is.

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like this is now apples and oranges. A fighter won't get in trouble for painting a house with a suspended fighter or for going fishing with him. He will get suspended for training with him.

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like this is now apples and oranges. A fighter won't get in trouble for painting a house with a suspended fighter or for going fishing with him. He will get suspended for training with him.

What if they paint a gym together? Or train a fish to do tricks?

I got this from TS link:

Athlete Support Personnel is defined as:

Athlete Support Personnel: Any coach, trainer, corner man, second, manager, agent, official, medical or paramedical personnel, or any other Person working with, treating or assisting an Athlete participating in or preparing for a Bout.

In short: if you help someone under contract to the UFC get ready for a fight, you are subject to the new UFC and USADA guidelines.

If you serve the guy gatorade after a sparring session, or is served gatorade by a suspended guy (or coffee, like in my office example) then you could be punished.

if it sucks so bad they should form an union

Well they can suspend the whole ufc roster, because every single fighter that can afford it is using PED's.

nah, most of them are clean bro, and they are getting fucked by these cheaters ruining the sport

I got this from TS link:

If you serve the guy gatorade after a sparring session, or is served gatorade by a suspended guy (or coffee, like in my office example) then you could be punished.

I agree that the portion you quoted is laughably broad. To begin with, how would the UFC come to know who is training with whom? And how exactly would the UFC punish anyone not signed with the UFC?

It seems to me the intent of this poorly written policy is to isolate suspended fighters precisely so that they find it difficult to find elite training partners, many of whom presumably are signed with the UFC. Otherwise a six month suspension is meaningless for many fighters, because that is the normal amount of time between fights for many top fighters, and they would spend the time training, which is exactly what they would have done if they were not suspended.

That's overreaching. These gyms are not part of the UFC.

I agree that the portion you quoted is laughably broad. To begin with, how would the UFC come to know who is training with whom? And how exactly would the UFC punish anyone not signed with the UFC?

It seems to me the intent of this poorly written policy is to isolate suspended fighters precisely so that they find it difficult to find elite training partners, many of whom presumably are signed with the UFC. Otherwise a six month suspension is meaningless for many fighters, because that is the normal amount of time between fights for many top fighters, and they would spend the time training, which is exactly what they would have done if they were not suspended.

A broad and unenforceable rule is usually made to punish people at their discretion, not because it's the right thing to do.

It's a "rule by law" thing, instead of a "rule of law" policy.

Basically bc in MMA you NEED a partner to stay sharp and in shape. And two years without a real team to train with is a looooong time. To out in perspective. The average MLB career is 900 games. (5 years or so) football is 60 or so (3.5 years). The VERY BEST in the UFC maybe are at ten. That's Mir. GSP. Silva. Etc... 2 years is 20%. That's the equivalent of a football player missing two seasons. A baseball player missing 1.5.

And for ONE mistake. There's being tough on guys and then there's basically taking them out of things forever.

And. Of course. You could lose two years bc a TEAMMATES failed a test and you kept training with him.

One mistake? That's the dirty bomb yo. Should get you banned for life
For ONE mistake.
They know what they're doing

A guy training with someone could get a lengthier sentence than what Paul Harris will probably get.

Back