UFC PED policy can suspend fighters bc of what teammates do

So don't train with suspended fighters?

I think this is similar to other sports. An NFL player suspended for PEDs is basically banished from the team's training facility. I do not they can practice with the team while suspended.

Can you elaborate on why you think this is so terrible? I am open to the idea that I am missing something here.

Along with the "you are obligated to tell us where you are" this is a clear sign of overreaching.

The whole PED issue should see a restructure from the very bottom.

I think this is similar to other sports. An NFL player suspended for PEDs is basically banished from the team's training facility. I do not they can practice with the team while suspended.

Can you elaborate on why you think this is so terrible? I am open to the idea that I am missing something here.

Because if this isn't made well known, we can be sure several fighters will be suspended for this nonsense.

Basically bc in MMA you NEED a partner to stay sharp and in shape. And two years without a real team to train with is a looooong time. To out in perspective. The average MLB career is 900 games. (5 years or so) football is 60 or so (3.5 years). The VERY BEST in the UFC maybe are at ten. That's Mir. GSP. Silva. Etc... 2 years is 20%. That's the equivalent of a football player missing two seasons. A baseball player missing 1.5.

And for ONE mistake. There's being tough on guys and then there's basically taking them out of things forever.

And. Of course. You could lose two years bc a TEAMMATES failed a test and you kept training with him.

Why should he be suspended from training or help others train? It's not like he is doing what he was suspended for (prize fighting). He didn't do anything wrong to the gym and it can be a source of income at a time he can't fight professionally.

They are clearly overreaching.

In NFL/MLB, the teams are part of the organization structure. So it kinda makes sense that they are suspended from the whole thing. But the gyms are completely independent from the UFC. Hell, the fighters are legally considered independent contractors, so their other "employer" have nothing to do with the suspension.

Interesting. Didn't know that was in there.

And for ONE mistake. There's being tough on guys and then there's basically taking them out of things forever.

One very deliberate and purposeful mistake. not hard enough IMO. No-one juices by accident.

Along with the "you are obligated to tell us where you are" this is a clear sign of overreaching.

The whole PED issue should see a restructure from the very bottom.

On the contrary it's only gotten better, and if you knew the things guys do to get around tests I think you'd think again. Jeff Novitzky is suppose to be on Rogan's podcast soon to talk all about it as he's heading the whole thing, should be a good one.

One very deliberate and purposeful mistake. not hard enough IMO. No-one juices by accident.

I'd like to see everyone that says things like this to be fired from their jobs and banned from taking a similar position in any other company for years if they ever make a single mistake.

On the contrary it's only gotten better, and if you knew the things guys do to get around tests I think you'd think again. Jeff Novitzky is suppose to be on Rogan's podcast soon to talk all about it as he's heading the whole thing, should be a good one.

So with fewer guys using, the advantages of getting around the system are even bigger. So people won't stop using and those who are able to hide it will benefit greatly from it.

And it takes us back to the beginning.

Basically bc in MMA you NEED a partner to stay sharp and in shape. And two years without a real team to train with is a looooong time. To out in perspective. The average MLB career is 900 games. (5 years or so) football is 60 or so (3.5 years). The VERY BEST in the UFC maybe are at ten. That's Mir. GSP. Silva. Etc... 2 years is 20%. That's the equivalent of a football player missing two seasons. A baseball player missing 1.5.

And. Of course. You could lose two years bc a TEAMMATES failed a test and you kept training with him.

You need partners to stay in shape in any athletic endeavor. You think Josh Gordon running sprints in his drive way is as good as working out with a pro team? Taking away an athlete's ability to keep in shape is part of the punishment for being in too good of shape.

Your argument that the suspensions are too long is a separate issue than being indirectly banned from training.

Why should he be suspended from training or help others train? It's not like he is doing what he was suspended for (prize fighting). He didn't do anything wrong to the gym and it can be a source of income at a time he can't fight professionally.

They are clearly overreaching.

In NFL/MLB, the teams are part of the organization structure. So it kinda makes sense that they are suspended from the whole thing. But the gyms are completely independent from the UFC. Hell, the fighters are legally considered independent contractors, so their other "employer" have nothing to do with the suspension.

Yep. The UFC and the NFL are structured differently. But the PED policy being criticized here is not significantly different in principle than what we see in other sports.

Well they can suspend the whole ufc roster, because every single fighter that can afford it is using PED's.

So you cant even hang out with them? This is a cool novelty but seems like its impossible to enforce.

I'd like to see everyone that says things like this to be fired from their jobs and banned from taking a similar position in any other company for years if they ever make a single mistake.

This isn't a single mistake like forgetting to turn in a financial report on time. This is a deliberate action that more often than not happens multiple times.

Mistake in this context is a euphemism for breaking the rules.

I bet an accountant who makes the "mistake" of embezzlement never gets hired again as an accountant.

So you cant even hang out with them? This is a cool novelty but seems like its impossible to enforce.

Impossible to enforce uniformly, for sure. That's part of the problem. Some camp will be made an example of and it'll probably be one that falls out of favor. AKA ...

I think it would be easier just to suspend the entire gym or team if someone is caught using. Maybe make people who are caught ineligible for the belt as well.

Back