UFC owners meet with senior Kremlin officials to discuss Russia event

Hannya MMA

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The UFC’s longstanding ambition to enter the Russian market is closer to becoming a reality than ever before after new owner Ari Emanuel and the promotion’s president Dana White met with senior Kremlin officials this past week in Moscow.

According to reports, Emanuel and White met with the deputy prime minister of the Russian Federation, Vitaly Mutko, to discuss a future UFC show in the country. The high-ranking government official, who also heads the Russian football union and held the position of Minister of Sports until recently, was shown a presentation that promoted economic benefits of hosting a UFC event in Russia.

"A little while ago I've met with the UFC owners,” Mutko told R-Sport (translation via @bayginavukat). “They say that we do not have a single partner or a title fight in Russia. Our Khabib there is alone, beating everybody. They've shown me their presentation. I was shocked when I saw what they were doing. The revenues, how much they get from the TV.”

The deputy prime minister also mentioned Fedor Emelianenko, who was recently re-elected president of the Russian MMA Union, an entity that regulates the sport in Russia since its legalization in 2012. Ironically, despite the UFC’s infamous past with Emelianenko, the promotion could be forced to do business with him If it is determined that they require regulatory oversight when hosting shows in Russia.

Over the past few weeks, new UFC owner Ari Emanuel has met with several key political figures, including President-Elect Donald Trump and, more recently, Russia’s controversial deputy prime minister. While details from the former remain a mystery and were likely not related to Emanuel’s combat sports venture, the latter highlighted his ability to secure meetings with key Kremlin officials specifically to discuss the UFC.

Main Event is Putin vs Trump

63fe62757fcfa80167ce21660939d4ef.jpg

3760C67800000578-0-image-a-2_1471560462754.jpg

Russia got bigger fish to fry right now, Putins ambassador to Turkey was assassinated on live television 2 days ago.

Russia got bigger fish to fry right now, Putins ambassador to Turkey was assassinated on live television 2 days ago.

Yup the Russian government is probably in the process of eliminating the perpetrators entire bloodline.

They are a country. I am sure they always have a lot of "fish to fry". I am sure they have the capacity to multitask.

Back