UFC orchestrating GSP return?

xenomorph4prez

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Being that most find the Robbie vs Hendricks rubber match not interesting and have been very vocal about it since the first rumors started making the rounds it seems that UFC wants Hendricks to be champ.

I see a lot of people wanting Rory to get a shot but say Rory did get a shot and beat Robbie a GSP return would be sabotaged as Rory and GSP have said they won't fight and the money fight for GSP's return is Hendricks whom GSP had a closely contested match with in his last fight.

It looks to me like UFC is taking a bullet with the rubber match in hopes of it paying dividends with a GSP return.

Or maybe I am going out of my way to try to rationalize an unpopular fight being made.

GSP doesn't have to fight Hendricks for the belt in order to come back. His return would be huge under any circumstance.

2 broke knee GSP? Hope he stays gone but I bet hed want to beat Hendricks.

He won't be happy that they aren't doing random drug testing now.

GSP doesn't have to fight Hendricks for the belt in order to come back. His return would be huge under any circumstance.

What you say is definitely true, but a rematch against the guy that many think beat him in his last fight (I think GSP won "fairly and squarely") would be the best possible circumstance for a return.

What you say is definitely true, but a rematch against the guy that many think beat him in his last fight (I think GSP won "fairly and squarely") would be the best possible circumstance for a return.

Yes if he fights at welterweight. The Anderson Silva fight is possible if he wants to do super fights.

I think the reason Hendricks is getting it is because of Reebok. Hendricks is a Reebok athlete and they asked Dana to give him the shot over Rory. Thats the only logical reason I can think of for the UFC backtracking. But with Dana, I guess its normal.

I think the reason Hendricks is getting it is because of Reebok. Hendricks is a Reebok athlete and they asked Dana to give him the shot over Rory. Thats the only logical reason I can think of for the UFC backtracking. But with Dana, I guess its normal.

That's an interesting thought. It makes you wonder how much control Reebok will have over matchmaking if true.

Wouldn't be surprised if GSP is on the March PPV card in Montreal.

GSP stays retired, UFC just pulled their random drugs testing program.

Being that most find the Robbie vs Hendricks rubber match not interesting and have been very vocal about it since the first rumors started making the rounds it seems that UFC wants Hendricks to be champ.

I see a lot of people wanting Rory to get a shot but say Rory did get a shot and beat Robbie a GSP return would be sabotaged as Rory and GSP have said they won't fight and the money fight for GSP's return is Hendricks whom GSP had a closely contested match with in his last fight.

It looks to me like UFC is taking a bullet with the rubber match in hopes of it paying dividends with a GSP return.

Or maybe I am going out of my way to try to rationalize an unpopular fight being made.

No, making Robbie vs Johnny III just makes more cents. The third fight will do okay PPV wise and Rory against anybody will do pretty good PPV because of Canada. Assuming Rory wins and then fights for the title against either Robbie or Johnny, that will make a total of at least 3 pretty good PPV fights. Whereas giving Rory the next shot guarantees only one. Johnny vs Hector or Woodley are interesting fights but not needle movers.

While a kick in the nuts for the fans, this set up makes the UFC the most money. And, I would say it is partly the uncertainty of GSP's return that is one reason for this approach. 2014 was a bad year for the UFC, they feel they have to cover their bets and make as much money as possible for 2015.

Last edited:
No, making Robbie vs Johnny III just makes more cents. The third fight will do okay PPV wise and Rory against anybody will do pretty good PPV because of Canada. Assuming Rory wins and then fights for the title against either Robbie or Johnny, that will make a total of at least 3 pretty good PPV fights. Whereas giving Rory the next shot guarantees only one. Johnny vs Hector or Woodley are interesting fights but not needle movers.

While a kick in the nuts for the fans, this set up makes the UFC the most money. And, I would say it is partly the uncertainty of GSP's return that is one reason for this approach. 2014 was a bad year for the UFC, they feel they have to cover their bets and make as much money as possible for 2015.

Good analysis. I couldn't figure out why the UFC would want to go with Lawler-Hendricks III, but it makes sense in terms of the "safe bet" followed up by another "safe bet" of Rory vs. Whoever Wins. Last year was indeed a bad year for the UFC.

Back