PBP UFC on Fox 31: Lee vs. Iaquinta 2 - PBP Discussion - 4pm ET/1pm PT/9pm UK

Pretty impressive, I thought Lee would take this. Good on AL dude is a machine. Fights with heart.

Damn that ending of the 5th Round reminded me of Lawler/Hendricks when Lawler was just lighting him the fuck up and then walked him down. I knew Al had that shit won, I just wish there was 1 more minute in the round because I wanted to see Kevin Lee dropped from those punches man.

Al's striking was super sharp. Very smart the way he fought throughout. His conditioning looked amazing. In the early takedowns he kept his breathing measured, fought hands really well and got out of them. In the later rounds he prevented the takedowns. Hats off to Raging Al for a great performance.

His footwork and angling are slick too. Notice how he kept Lee stuck against the cage. If this dude AL Iaquinta could just get his defensive wrestling up he could be a contender. Of course, lots of fighters at LW are saying that right about now.

In other news...
The byline from randy's new movie:
An altruistic doctor (Natali Yura) and cocky treasure hunters (Randy Couture)

Iaquinta had enough fight iq and urgency to know he had to finish strong so he went for it. That is what sealed the deal.

Grinds my gears when fighters don't have a sense of urgency to finish strong. Hendricks had a habit of this when he was champion.
Yeah, the first minute or so of that round was lee’s takedown attempt and clinch against the cage that would’ve gone in lee’s favour had it continued. Great to see a fighter with some urgency to go and turn the round around, winning him the fight

The fights not bad but it's honestly super fucking boring I'm glad y'all could find something to enjoy about it
(Inb4 "you don't understand mma")

It's a technically fine fight but it's not really fun to watch imo

not that you asked, should ask, give a fuck or should give a fuck, this seems to be another example of a fight of which the adversaries are more than capable of ending the fight via T/KO or submission. Thus, they are thoughtful about how to engage with one another and try not to lose via T/KO or submission. The suspense is always there.

Another example is the Miocic vs. Ngannou fight. Both guys were more than able to finish the fight before the judges judged who won as both fighters were aware of the aforesaid danger. So, they fought with such thought as they tried to not over commit, lose, be caught (regardless of a successful move) and so on.

The first 3 were split rounds imo kevin had a good half round then al had a good half. Al definately had a better half in the first 2 rounds. Kevin in the 3rd. Al took the 4th and 5th. 5th being the most decisive of the fight. Great win for Al. Kevin should man up and congratulate the guy who wobbled him 7 times in 25mins.

Lee didn't give anything away. Al took it from him.
<{cruzshake}>
Nah

That was terrible gameplanning
Someone had Lee thinking he could win the stand up
His take down attempt output should have been way higher and consistent throughout the rounds
Even if he fails it keeps Al guessing

..but but I thought kevin lee was going to send Quinta back to the prelims?? he was going to "humiliate" him?
so glad he lost, now the talks of him going for a title shot can finally go to bed.

Lee took Round 2. In Round 3, he didn't do much with his takedown, and Iaquinta outstruck him late.

Yeah it was down to r3 (the 49-46 was nonsense).
Lee fought the wrong fight and spent too much time going backwards, throwing nothing and getting punched in the face.

Wonder if Mo will take a lesson from Phil Davis and realize that Liam's entire ground-game can be neutralized by putting your knee on his stomach

not that you asked, should ask, give a fuck or should give a fuck, this seems to be another example of a fight of which the adversaries are more than capable of ending the fight via T/KO or submission. Thus, they are thoughtful about how to engage with one another and try not to lose via T/KO or submission. The suspense is always there.

Another example is the Miocic vs. Ngannou fight. Both guys were more than able to finish the fight before the judges judged who won as both fighters were aware of the aforesaid danger. So, they fought with such thought as they tried to not over commit, lose, be caught (regardless of a successful move) and so on.
its not that I don't like fights where the two are more cautious, i just didn't think this was an entertaining bout, lol

Man if Al drops the side job he could be a beast.

I don’t think Lee looked terrible. Al just has better boxing and the ability to get out of bad positions on the ground.

Lee may have banked on the TD threat opening him up to more opportunities in the striking, but Al was crisper and more accurate.

Back