UFC on Fox 29: Poirier vs. Gaethje - Main Card PBP Discussion - 8pm ET/5pm PT/1am UK

Before this party breaks up Thanks to @Jackonfire with another P4P the best PBP thread, and to my IN committee crew for announcing themselves IN and getting f*king creative at it too. And to the regulars for talking good fights whether I disagree/agree you all keep it real....

Next week B!tches....

Great night of fights from top to bottom. Especially for a Fox Card.

giphy.gif
I counted 12 unanswered, undefendened, landed shots on a stumbling, flailing opponent(and that's not including any shots that came before the gif).

Anyone saying this fight was stopped early clearly rides the short bus.

I counted 12 unanswered, undefendened, landed shots on a stumbling, flailing opponent(and that's not including any shots that came before the gif).
Savage.

Anyone saying this fight was stopped early clearly rides the short bus.

Yep, no early stoppage at all. Gaethje loses enough brain cells every fight as is. No need for him to take any unnecessary punishment.

He had Alvarez hurt a bunch as well. Good for him. End result is the same. He'll be in a nursing home with brain damage by the time he's 40.
thats assuming a lot isnt it? he made a bunch of money for him/family in 2 close fights. ohhh! what a loser!

oh I understand it. It's just that your personal criteria don't mean shit.
then why'd you ask whether I'd heard of a TKO?

My personal criteria does mean shit to whether or not I think the fight should be stopped. And that's what I was talking about.

Make sure you don't argue to win. Argue to learn or educate. If you don't feel you have anything to tell me you think I don't already know, then don't say anything.

Great job by Poirier - Gaethje can't keep fighting like that at the upper echelons. Good for sub top-10 fighters, but walking through like a tank hoping to outland or land a killing blow will make for a short career. Entertaining fighter though. If he wants to be a true contender, he needs to adjust his style and be harder to hit

Oh and completely fair stoppage. Dude was on wobbly legs for a number of seconds before finally falling. Had he not fell, ok, but he fell and its clear no more damage needed to be given to him

War Poirier!! I am happy he won, and happy for you.

giphy.gif
Ended the card on top for me!

Plus though I like both fighters, Justin just(in) too much of a meathead, even in the cage.

Great scrap!

Consciousness, will, skill. They should be the requirements to carry on fighting.

Gaethje was obviously conscious. He didn't even go down. So he passes that test. EDIT: saw gif above -- he did go to a knee, so I stand corrected. He was far from out though, so he does still pass this test.

Gaethje was fighting on like he always does, still intent on fighting. No way he wanted out. So he passes that test.

Skill is the big determinant for whether or not the fight shoulda been stopped. Did Gaethje have the means to stop Poirier beating on him, and get back into the fight? Since that's what Gaethje's known for, I personally think he shoulda been given the benefit of the doubt with this one. I'm not convinced he was done.

Except that’s not the criteria. It’s the refs responsibility to prevent the fighter from dying from a brain bleed. When you are falling all over the ring eating dozens of head shots without any intelligent defense, you are at risk for a life threatening brain injury and the ref needs to step in. Many fighters have left the ring conscious only to die later from a brain bleed. These fighters need to be protected from themselves, especially Gaethje.

Ended the card on top for me!

Plus though I like both fighters, Justin just(in) too much of a meathead, even in the cage.

Great scrap!
Yeah agreed, I always been a fan of Poirier since WEC days, he is fun to watch. Great fight, I was a bit worried after the 2nd eye poke that we might get a no contest and the doc would stop it, but thankfully it was all ok.

Poirier might get the next title shot. I know everyone thinks Khabib would smash him, But Poirier has really great TDD, he is not easy to take down at all, and he has beat many top fighters.

I'm calling it now.. if Poirier gets the title shot he will give Khabib a hard fight, it won't be easy. I'm not saying he will win, but I reckon he will put up a good fight

continuing the Kicking game cost Justin the win, got cracked on last kick and never recovered, ate about 25 more shots. Nice

Back