UFC needs to get fighter health issues under control

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Rationality, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Rationality

Rationality Green Belt

Progress could be made in all of these areas and it would still be a great sport -- and maybe 1000s of young people would start to get into it? I know this is an unpopular stand, but as a businessman and fight fan I will stick my neck out and say it:

1. People cutting weight almost to the point of death
    2. Absolutely no rhyme or reason to sparring and other full-contact training
    3. Reffing totally inconsistent regarding TKO stoppages
    4. No consistency regarding medical stoppages

I am predicting it now. Some day the UFC will come under regulatory scrutiny, not to mention class-action lawsuits from the fighters. Dana has no interest in solving any of this and is the wrong guy to be running the UFC.

2. Sweater of AV

Sweater of AV Black Belt

Definitely need to stop cutting so much weight in the UFC. Hopefully they try to adopt weight-cutting regulations like One FC.

AyDeeDee likes this.
  3. Thc Sargon

Thc Sargon Blue Belt

Umm. Intak not you aren’t a fighter but full contact practice is necessary.

Rondas Pillow likes this.
  4. Leonard Haid

Leonard Haid Minimalist Living the Illusory Dream

Good post, but it is fighting, so when all is said and done there will still be 2 powerful warriors getting into the Octagon with the intention of destroying the other.

To address your points:

1. “Everybody knows that this weight-cutting thing is a problem, but nobody is coming up with no f*cking solutions,” (Kevin) Lee told Luke Thomas on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. “Everybody is kind of waiting for somebody to die. And I don’t feel like that’s the right thing to do. I think you have to take at least one step in the right direction and then just see how it goes. There’s really no downside to it.”

2. Very intrigued by TS's point # 2, and hope someone who knows more about fighting than I do responds to it. I thought sparring especially was necessary for improvement in key areas.

3. Not sure what can be done about this. If refs stop the fight too early they get just as much shit, if not more sometimes. It seems that most of the time refs get it right, that there's very high-quality reffing these days in the Octagon, for the most part. There's been a whole lot of improvement in the last 10 years. But refs are human, and they will make mistakes. One of the "side risks" of fighting I guess.

4. Again, hoping someone more in the know responds to this one. Another intriguing point on TS's part.

magicmarker and AyDeeDee like this.
  5. mjmj

mjmj Black Belt

These are all things the Athletic Commissions oversee. For sure things need to change, but it'll be hard to get so many separate entities on the same page.

Leonard Haid likes this.
  6. Rationality

Rationality Green Belt

Of course it is. But there is zero regulation of it, and it causes constant fight cancellations. Also, are you talking Full-contact, fight to the finish -- timed full contact -- timed contact with certain rules -- or what?
    C'mon think a little bit deeper here. Do you want a future for the sport or not? I think we'll end up having all the fights in unregulated 3rd world countries if things overall keep going the way they are.

7. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

The only reason we're watching this sport is there are "no rules" and it's "dangerous", and people "might die".

Don't be kidding yourselves. We're watching MMA like it's a snuff movie.

The more it gets regulated, the less interresting it becomes, which is the the problem. MMA is supposed to be "underground", and the moment it isn't, it has lost its attraction.

8. kuka45

kuka45 Brown Belt

if you cut a lot of weight you minimalize some parts of training to not gain too much muscle, doing mainly s/c etc. but I'm not expert, Whittaker was talking about it once.

9. Rationality

Rationality Green Belt

There can be plenty of beautiful violence, and risk, and danger and blood without this ridiculous weight cutting crap -- just for one example. I am not saying that all 4 of my points have equal urgency or even feasibility to be addressed, but fighter health could be the doom of the UFC. Also, I'll say it again, there is no talent pipeline for this sport. Dana is more interested in being on TV and adding to his billion right now than actually trying to ensure a future for MMA in this country.

10. ImNotSurpisedDonks!

ImNotSurpisedDonks! Gold Belt

If you think Nicco, who made weight multiple times on the show in short time, is really hurt, then I have a bridge to sell you.

As we know from the Khabib event, when you go to the hospital, the fight is off. Any person in the world can go to the hospital with any problem. Dope addicts continually go to the hospital, say their back hurts, the doctor has to believe you and you get pain pills for free......I know I used to do it.

magicmarker likes this.
  11. drbolony

drbolony -El Styles-

Stopped reading at no rhyme or reason to Sparring....

AKA is a hard Sparring gym, jsing.

12. mjmj

mjmj Black Belt

I think some of you are misunderstanding his point #2. I don't think he's saying it's not necessary. Just that there's no consistency to it at all. Some gyms go all out all the time, and those fighters are more likely to have long term issues than fighters from other gyms where they're more cautious.
    All that said, there's just no way the UFC can regulate that.

magicmarker and DopeZach like this.
  13. Thc Sargon

Thc Sargon Blue Belt

So, I agree with you and not. It shouldn’t be regulated-the way you train. Full contact start to finish is very important but I don’t think you should do it roughly two weeks before the fight.

14. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

The fighters are adults. They make choices. The UFC doesn't need to do anything. The fighters need to cut weight more responsibly.

DopeZach likes this.
  15. FrodoFraggins

FrodoFraggins Black Belt

As Rogan and others have said - they need to change weighin times and rules. It will create a one time mess of lots of fighters going up a weight class. But other than that, I don't see a downside and I haven't heard the reasons why the UFC is against it.

The division that will be hit hardest will probably be LHW but I've been advocating a 225 pound cruiserweight division for quite a while and this will be a good reason.

As far as sparring goes, I don't know enough to comment. but yeah it's messed up to lose so many fights due to last minute sparring injuries. I don't know if it's always been an issue but fighters of the past just fought anyway.

16. HoFF

HoFF 3 Piece Soda Platinum Member

17. Uber_Noober

Uber_Noober Red Belt

Get rid of weight classes, Ultimate Open Weight Fighting Cahmlionship

18. Philtard

Philtard Red Belt

Lol @ no rhyme or reason for full contact sparring..

You do not belong as an mma or combat sports fan.

19. Organic Damage

Organic Damage Dancing on the ashes of the World

This. Alot of people already bitch that the lack of stomps and soccer kicks have neutered UFC.

There's also the issue of human nature. Nobody wants to lose because they didn't spar as hard or cut as much weight as their opponent.

20. Philtard

Philtard Red Belt

I'll be civil and address the other points wh8ch maybe you do have. But you cannot expect people to not have full contact sparring. It's absolutely essential to improving fight fitness and replicating an actual fight. Aswell as a chance to improve techniques in an actual combat situation and then there's also the point of building confidence.

There has never been consistency to reffing in any combat sports. Boxing, mma, kickboxing. Whilst there is a set scoring format it is also subjective. Stats also do not always determine the winner of a fight. Then there is also corruption and home advantages. This has always been the case in boxing going back decades.

You have a point with the weight cutting. But then that is down to the individual. Competitors at the highest level will always seek to gain an advantage regardless. This is not the UFC's fault.

And I'm unsure about the consistency regarding medical stoppages given they are licenced by the respective commissions and that has nothing to do with the UFC either?

Are you an actual fan or some kind of activist?