UFC needs to eliminate these BS ways to earn title fights

The Eye

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Seriously, I always see threads about how MMA is on the decline, and to be honest, a few years back I thought it was by far the best sport around. I never missed an event and was excited about cards and could tell you at least something about most of the roster. However, the way it is currently run is complete bushleague. How are people supposed to take a sport seriously when you have a guy like Sonnen being offered a chance to win a title fight when he has gone 1-3 in his last four fights (and being stopped in all the losses)?

What does this tell other fighters? Shit like this leads to people like Forrest and Bonnar being in the Hall of Fame. Listen, I am not saying the UFC shouldnt honor them, but you have to make something like the HoF sacred. You can have some other BS like a fucking wall or a ring of honor or some other BS name for a place that you put people like those two on.

Anyway, end of rant.

beating Vitor Belfort is a pretty legit way to earn a title shot

If that is true then Vitor will smash him and you have nothing to worry about.

exactly, he is willing to fight Vitor to save a card. both guys stepping up. Chael knows how to put himself in good positions to get rewarded by the UFC, he steps up when they need him, every time.

Seriously, I always see threads about how MMA is on the decline, and to be honest, a few years back I thought it was by far the best sport around. I never missed an event and was excited about cards and could tell you at least something about most of the roster. However, the way it is currently run is complete bushleague. How are people supposed to take a sport seriously when you have a guy like Sonnen being offered a chance to win a title fight when he has gone 1-3 in his last four fights (and being stopped in all the losses)?

What does this tell other fighters? Shit like this leads to people like Forrest and Bonnar being in the Hall of Fame. Listen, I am not saying the UFC shouldnt honor them, but you have to make something like the HoF sacred. You can have some other BS like a fucking wall or a ring of honor or some other BS name for a place that you put people like those two on.

Anyway, end of rant.

Now you must be a glass half empty yype of guy....you started the record 1-3 in last 4 with a loss, start it with his last win and if he wins he'll be 2-1 in his last 3 with a win over the legitimate #1 MW Contender

Yup, ufc title shot match making is horrible.

exactly, he is willing to fight Vitor to save a card. both guys stepping up. Chael knows how to put himself in good positions to get rewarded by the UFC, he steps up when they need him, every time.
You got it the wrong way round. It is Vitor who is saving the card, not Chael. I was reading earlier today that Chael wants to fight Wand and Vitor before he retires. Belfort is doing Chael a big favour.

Yeah, Chael shouldn't have a shot at a shot at the title. More like a shot at a shot at a shot at a shot at the title.

Yea...

Vitor earns a MW title shot by beating Hendo at LHW?

And now Chael can earn a title shot at MW by beating Vitor at LHW?

Maybe Lombard can earn a title shot at LHW by beating DHK at WW next?

I haven't heard Dana say it was a #1 contender bout, just Chael. Even if Dana does, it's not like he hasn't broken that promise a dozen times

Styles make fights. The Sonnen (that would or could beat today's Vitor) would be a tough test for the MW champ! And, of course, Vitor himself would be too.
But yeah, some of these (almost) immediate rematches are ridiculous. I thought Gustaffson beat Jones... But in no way, shape or form do I think he has anything for the champ that trains with Greg Jackson (And Mike Winkeljohn) in the rematch. Jones is adaptable and far more versatile. Wrestling's more than taking your opponent down. It's keeping him there. Yeah, Alex may have okay wrestling now, but he wont keep Jones on his back, cause he hasn't been wrestling his whole life. So, like I said, Jones is FAR MORE VERSATILE! I bet his guard's wicked, too! Now Robbie fights Brown for the next title shot... I gotta say I'm more for this match than if Alex beats Manuwa(Really, Jimi?!?!?!?!?!?!) he gets a title shot.

How are people supposed to take a sport seriously when you have a guy like Sonnen being offered a chance to win a title fight when he has gone 1-3 in his last four fights (and being stopped in all the losses)?

He got them because he steps in to fight on a moments notice. Dana wants fighters who want to fight. Chael steps up to the plate every time the UFC needs someone. I dont hear of many other fighters taking fights on a few weeks notice.

He got them because he steps in to fight on a moments notice. Dana wants fighters who want to fight. Chael steps up to the plate every time the UFC needs someone. I dont hear of many other fighters taking fights on a few weeks notice.

Cowboy Cerrone comes to mind. Some guys are just gamers, some are cautious.

It needs to be like a few years back when it was awesome when Randy Couture got a HW title show coming off a LHW loss and Vitor got a title shot coming off a Franklin weight bout.

Their hall of fame is "sacred" either. It's pictures on their website.

Lol seriously. Stop trying to get sonnen a title, it won't fucking happen

Back