1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

UFC needs PPV to get back on track

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by psyops, Dec 31, 2014.

1. eddymotto Red Belt

I strongly believe that FOX was primarily interested in relatively cheap filler for their new sports channels. I mean, they need something to fill the air on FOX Sports 1 and Fuel (or whatever they are called now). Most (more) established were already locked up. So MMA presented pretty cheap content with the potential to take off and give the main FOX channel a real boost. The latter hasn't happened unfortunately.

So I am not arguing against what you wrote. I am merely adding that Zuffa is forced to hold all these events to fill the commitments that they have made.

It is part of the deal they struck. Given that they made that deal when the NA market still seemed to be growing, it was likely a better deal then they would get today

2. IIIIIIII Titanium Belt

i agree.

to me, fighters have to fight more. that is the answer. guys fighting twice a year isn't going to cut it. it doesn't matter whether a fighter isn't 100%. they have to fight. people forget about fighters if they're not active. the ufc won't acquire new fans if these people can't anticipate fighters fighting.

3. Russie Black Belt

If they could make all the cards be loaded they would becuase then it would be no problem selling them. They can't though. All the shows they have to put for TV and on their PPV schedule it just will not allow that many stacked cards. The number of cards whether stacked or not takes a toll on ones wallet. I stopped buying them all just to save some money. Probably not saving a lot because there are times when I end up spending more at the sports bar than I wanted to. Fans of this product are doing some selective spending. Many fans just aren't going to see every card. UFC realizes this but they have to put on all these shows so it means some cards are just going to have a fight or two that anyone cares about.

4. IngaVovchanchyn Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

Lol. If the NFL does have a development league then I stand corrected. However, your link said nothing of the sort, it simply talked about a player being upgraded from the practice squad, which is not an affiliate franchise.

Yep, an average of just under one and a half fights in the division with the lowest total of fights in the UFC. Even this outlier does not at all prove your claim that UFC fighters fight once a year per UFC policy, because perusing this list of fighters one can see several were injury plagued (Cain, Struve, Barnett) and injuries are not a UFC policy.

Mind you, I was in no way taking issue with your recommended standard of three fights a year, I would applaud that schedule. I am taking issue with your claim that the UFC has determined fighters should fight only once each year:

5. Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe Banned

You joined this forum two months ago and are already trying to run the UFC. Whatever happened to just being a fight fan? It's like n00bs would rather look up buyrates than fighters.

6. psyops Banned Banned

Firstly I've been watching MMA since the early ufc events why do Sherdog posters always try to connect forum join date with how long you've been watching MMA. Do you have any critical thinking skills? I guess not.

Secondly the ufc is doing exactly what I said they are now stacking ppvs again so maybe I should be running the ufc

7. dim_ Steel Belt

PPV is dying, about the only places where it still works is the US and Japan.

UFC are happily getting tv deals around the world, meaning subscribers outside the US get to see UFC for very little, or even free, while the US customers get milked :D

Be interesting to know what global tv viewership was for events, ie. how many fans around the world are watching on regular networks v fans in US paying for ppv.

Lol at Murica desperately trying to hold on to what is a dying method of broadcasting

8. dim_ Steel Belt

So 256k buys in the US in 2014 average.

Be willing to bet more than 256k people watched in countries where the ppv is on regular channels and the broadcaster bore the cost. (yeh, not an equivalent cost of course)

9. psyops Banned Banned

If it's dying why did the ufc suddenly adopt this business plan in the past 3 week since I made this post?

You are wrong ppv is not dead the last 2 cards prove it

10. dim_ Steel Belt

Ok, PPV is dead everywhere except for the US and Japan.

how many people watched 183 on PPV in the US versus how many watched it on regular networks around the world that would otherwise flatly refuse to watch it on PPV.

If UFC183 was PPV in teh UK they would be lucky to get 1000 buys, let alone 100,000 buys

11. CC27 Gold Belt

UFC just did 1.5 mill buys in jan, PPV isnt dead.

Taking any stats from their worst year that had main events fall out and injuries kill fights is pretty stupid.

When injuries happen and big fights fall through they wont sell as many PPV, its not hard to understand. WHen big fights happen PPV sell fine.

If 187 188 189 all happen as planned they will have three huge major PPV.

12. psyops Banned Banned

Ok? Doesn't matter what people say about ppv being dead the numbers speak and they are the only thing that matters

13. robjenkins2 Gold Belt

UFC is poised for a huge year on PPV, possibly their biggest ever.

14. psyops Banned Banned

I.feel vindicated by the ufc now following the ppv strategy I talked about and it's not the first time I've said something that has come to pass.

I talked about how strikeforce was poised to challenge the ufc for the #1 MMA,organization and a few weeks later the ufc announced the bought strikeforce.

Feels good to be right sometimes

15. MetamorisMike Orange Belt

I will enjoy UFCs on Fox and FS. Zuffa will never get a dime from me again. Will likely watch 187 at a bar, which I guess is indirectly giving them money, but that's better than straight up handing it over.

16. robjenkins2 Gold Belt

Strikeforce was awesome but was never in any position to challenge the UFC for #1 in MMA, not even close.

17. robjenkins2 Gold Belt

Why would you not purchase if the product is worth the value?

18. psyops Banned Banned

Oh it certainly was. If I remember correctly they had the most top 10 heavyweights (more than the ufc) and a lot of top fighters in other weight classes as well.

People have short memories, ufc didn't always have the vast majority of top fighters.

19. Mikedh Silver Belt

UFC is like the lone sports thing on PPV. PPV is still sorta viable now but it will eventually go away. WWE is already out and boxing ppvs are rare these days.

20. Mikedh Silver Belt

How many PPVs did they sell? How many international shows were they running? They were a national company for about 18 months before being bought out. It's not like they were a long standing rival or rival at all to the ufc.