UFC need to create specific guidelines and rules to stipulate a warranted referee stoppage.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by SlickMick, Feb 29, 2016.

1. SlickMick

SlickMick White Belt

Referee stoppages are too open to the opinion of the ref, too many grey areas.
    "Intelligently defending your self" or my favourite "can you continue". Yeah ask the person you suspect of brain trauma if they have brain trauma.
    I think we need some thing a bit more specific to determine the winner of these fights. These days if it's not a clear, plain as day knockout or submission, You never know who is going to win.
    To be honest I'm sick of the controversy!
    Thoughts?

2. Darkart

Darkart Brown Belt

Corner stoppages only! Problem solved.

SlickMick likes this.
  3. Ingjr

Ingjr Brown Belt

It really is a grey area and the Refs do the best they can with mere split seconds to decide so. I highly doubt anyone in their shoes could do better on a regular basis.

4. GODZILLA213

GODZILLA213 Genocide Revised

Exactly, hindsight is always 20/20. For the most part refs do a great job in stopping fights, and it's rare how often there is a bad stoppage considering all the circumstances.

Jer713 likes this.
  5. themainman

themainman Red Belt

That's not even the ufc's department, take it up with the athletic commission

6. Bagatur

Bagatur Red Belt

wow, that is retarded even for Silva's fans. yeah, lets change the rules because your fighter lost. smh.

Mr.Maelstrom, Mike and centermiddy like this.
  7. SlickMick

SlickMick White Belt

The UFC can change the rule to what ever they want it's there organisation.
    The commission would of course have to approve the changes.

8. sidecheckkick

sidecheckkick Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Herb Dean doesn't believe in the walk off KO. When you KO someone you know as soon as the strike lands that the opponent is out. You feel it. Yet these refs don't understand that it seems

9. MRDOG

MRDOG Brown Belt

You can adjust what ever rule you want. It will always be this way. The ref's are humans making split second decisions. Over all they do a good job.

Jer713 likes this.
  10. SlickMick

SlickMick White Belt

The Bisping v Silver fight is just one of many controversial out comes. It's just an example.
    And to be honest IMO Silver didn't deserve it any way. Too much not fighting rather than fighting.

11. CoffeeAndBeer

CoffeeAndBeer OG from 1993

The sport is called MMA, n00b.

12. Briar

Briar Blue Belt

I would rather see a 10 count if a knockdown occurs at the end of a round than someone saved by the bell.

SlickMick likes this.
  13. SlickMick

SlickMick White Belt

What about the three Judges who determin the decision victory. Even Dana says on multiple occasions don't leave it to the judges you never what will happen. Why isn't the UFC aiming towards getting a clear and definitive winner each and every bout. Especially as these days the stakes are much higher per fighter per fight.

14. SlickMick

SlickMick White Belt

Yeah or undergoe some type of quick standardised sobriety by the doctor in between rounds to get a reasonably accurate gauge on there mental state. I mean come on its 2016 there has to be some type technology.
    Asking can you continue? With stakes on the line and the increasing number talent coming on to the scene, you could be blind in both eyes you still get the same answer.

15. chunglii

chunglii No Me Duele Staff Member Senior Moderator

lol wtf

16. MRDOG

MRDOG Brown Belt

We will always have controversial decisions also. There will always be fights that fans / judges can argue for either fighter winning a close round that might decide the winner of the fight. It isn't always possible to have a clear cut winner everyone agrees on. It comes with the nature of the fight game.

They could train the current judges better to limit mistakes. Use some sort of demoting system that if it is widely agreed on that a Judge made a bad call they demoted them somehow.

17. YesMySon

YesMySon Banned Banned

whenever anderson lands a strike lets just end it so TS is happy.

Mike, MrDoctor and Fight To Win like this.
  18. SlickMick

SlickMick White Belt

Yeah I know what it's called and MMA is notoriously known for addapting to styles and different times and allowing creativity to fighters. That's what makes it so exciting. So I understand some fights are close and hard to choose a clear winner but I'm focussing on fights wear the winner walks away looking like he's been through a meat grinder and loser is clean as a whistle. Now I know it's Mma and there is a points scoring system. But it's still a fight. And if generally beating the shit out of your opponent can't get you a win then something is wrong.

19. SlickMick

SlickMick White Belt

Exactly. But it shouldn't matter what type of knock it is. The focus should be on the condition of fighter. Bisping was crawling around on mat for 2 minutes before herb even looked at him. Couldn't even get a f&ckn replay on fight pass all they would show was the spider looking like a complete moron on the cage.

LEXTHEANARKIST likes this.
  20. jeremyemilio

jeremyemilio Silver Belt

There are very few legit controversies. People whine about everything.

There's no precise, perfect moment to stop a fight. There's a window of opportunity in which it is reasonable to stop a fight.

I've seen a few stoppages come long after that window should have been closed, but other than a couple of just legit errors in processing what is happening (i.e. a guy trips and looks like he's been rocked, or makes a motion that the ref mistakes for a tap, et cetera), I haven't seen many real problems with refs stopping fights before that reasonable window.

The "intelligently defending yourself" and the "can you continue" touchstones are basically the same thing. The ref isn't trying to do a psychic brain scan. He's watching to see, or flat out asking, if the fighter truly wants to keep fighting. That's why fights tend to get stopped when fighters turtle. Kissing the mat and covering your ears isn't exactly the posture of a man who wants to fight. Your actual brain condition is a moot point at that stage.

Problem is, too many fans think a ref is like a line judge, standing there to decide whether the ball broke the plane of the end zone for a touchdown. But that's not what a fight ref is there for.

He's not determining when to declare the fighter on offense the winner. He's determining when to step in and protect the fighter on defense. And that determination is most certainly best left in the hands of the ref himself.

zuffazombee likes this.