UFC/MMA should learn from boxing...

Sure. And often, that's not how MMA works. A guy might win a few fights and then get a massive jump in the rankings and face guys they aren't ready for. I think often fans can see a fighter has a ton of potential, but they don't understand how that potential needs to be developed through measured experience. Being in over your head is actually not always a great way to learn. I think this is especially true for young athletes.

It's pretty normal for NFL quarterbacks to be brought along relatively slowly when a team can afford to. Patrick Mahomes was MVP of the league in his second year and SuperBowl MVP in his third year. So he's developed very rapidly. But he still rode the bench in his rookie year except for one game. Conversely, shit teams like the Cleveland Browns constantly throw first year guys into the fire and they stunt their growth.
Yes but those are players on team sports where the team develops their players.

You don't keep the Cleveland Browns or whoever is shit playing games vs the worst teams in the league and shelter them from the good teams.

We're talking about competition here, make competitive matchups. Nobody wants to see Edmen beat up the CM Punks of the world 10 times before he gets a ranked opponent

You're just holding them back from fighting better competition... Because you want their record to look better? This makes no sense in an actual sporting sense
No, I want guys to fight people are more or less on their level, instead rushing them against competition they aren't ready for. It makes perfect sense from a sporting standpoint.
Although, having more guys with good records would be nice, because it would make MMA more acceptable for mainstream audiences.
I love MMA, but the fact is it's a niche sport. I want MMA to become more popular with the masses. And having fighters with better records would help with that.

Yes but those are players on team sports where the team develops their players.

You don't keep the Cleveland Browns or whoever is shit playing games vs the worst teams in the league and shelter them from the good teams.

We're talking about competition here, make competitive matchups. Nobody wants to see Edmen beat up the CM Punks of the world 10 times before he gets a ranked opponent

I agree. I don't want to watch Edmen beat up CM Punk ten times. I'm not advocating for that.

And stop feeding their young prospects to top 10 guys before they are ready.
Tonight was just another example of why these young prospects should fight cans and unranked fighters in order to gain experience before they step in the cage with the top guys in their respective divisions.
Also, I hope that the people who are pushing for Chimaev to fight a top 10 guy now realize why that is a terrible idea. Discuss.

No thanks. Boxing protects people it deems draws, rather than legit talent. We've already had shit like that happen with Conor

No, I want guys to fight people are more or less on their level, instead rushing them against competition they aren't ready for. It makes perfect sense from a sporting standpoint.
Although, having more guys with good records would be nice, because it would make MMA more acceptable for mainstream audiences.
I love MMA, but the fact is it's a niche sport. I want MMA to become more popular with the masses. And having fighters with better records would help with that.

More or less on their level, okay, so what do you do with Edmen after he beat Tavares? Fight 5 more guys like Tavares? And he wouldn't have even fought Tavares when he did with your model, he would be stuck fighting cans.

Records don't mean much and as soon as casuals learn that the better.

A win you move up, a loss you move down, this makes logical sense.

UFC Undercards >>>>>>>>> Boxing Undercards
200.gif

I think we're on the same page. I'm not interested in padding records for marketing and hype. But I am interested in seeing promising fighters reaching their full potential. What you say about them 'being ready' is key imo.
I think guys should have at least 15 fights under their belt and 7 fights in the UFC. After that, then they can fight a ranked fighter.
And I think that if you have 10 or more losses on your record then you should never get a title shot.

Not just the style, I'm talking about Khabib's record. Crushed a bunch of cans early in his career and people shit on it.

Sports are supposed to be competitive, no one wants to see top fighters crush cans.

You want them to make Jacare vs Camozzi 3?
How about Mickey Gall fighting the CM Punks of the world?
Chimaev needs to fight 10 more guys in other orgs before he gets a ranked UFC opponent?
That type of mentality is what's holding back MMA in my opinion. Another reason that MMA isn't that accepted by mainstream audiences is because of it's toxic fanbase.
When did I say that?
Mickey Gall vs CM Punk was a freak show fight that would never happen in boxing. I want to get rid of those too.
Chimaev is only 2-0 in the UFC. He should fight at least 5-7 more times before he gets a ranked guy. What's wrong with that?

Abso-fucking-lutely. They wasted Edmen's 0 losses stat to serve a wrestler that will maybe not get a title shot before he retires. Unlike Sage Northcutt, Edmen might've actually been a contender if developed right. He could still do great thing but now has a loss.
Finally someone who gets it.
{<redford}

No thanks. Boxing protects people it deems draws, rather than legit talent. We've already had shit like that happen with Conor
LMAO Conor is one of the few MMA fighters that has a decent record.
And you realize that the system I want for MMA would prevent guys like Conor being rushed to a title shot, right?

That type of mentality is what's holding back MMA in my opinion. Another reason that MMA isn't that accepted by mainstream audiences is because of it's toxic fanbase.
When did I say that?
Mickey Gall vs CM Punk was a freak show fight that would never happen in boxing. I want to get rid of those too.
Chimaev is only 2-0 in the UFC. He should fight at least 5-7 more times before he gets a ranked guy. What's wrong with that?
It's a waste of time. Have him fight guys on his level.

More or less on their level, okay, so what do you do with Edmen after he beat Tavares? Fight 5 more guys like Tavares? And he wouldn't have even fought Tavares when he did with your model, he would be stuck fighting cans.

Records don't mean much and as soon as casuals learn that the better.

A win you move up, a loss you move down, this makes logical sense.
Yes, what's wrong with that? Edmen clearly wasn't ready for the step up in competition, so not let guys like Edmen gain experience and improve their game before they fight the top guys?
So wins and losses don't matter? In that case why even bother having rankings?

It's a waste of time. Have him fight guys on his level.
He would if he continued to fight unranked fighters for now. If Chimaev is rushed into a fight with a top 10 guy, he will get exposed and his hype will be derailed. Like what happened to Edmen tonight.

UFC Undercards >>>>>>>>> Boxing Undercards
200.gif
That I will agree with, if it's one thing that boxing can learn from MMA it's how MMA structures their cards. Keep the fights between the no names on the prelims, and have all the big draws on the main card.

Yes, what's wrong with that? Edmen clearly wasn't ready for the step up in competition, so not let guys like Edmen gain experience and improve their game before they fight the top guys?
So wins and losses don't matter? In that case why even bother having rankings?
Rankings aren't even based on records...

You didn't know if Edmen wasn't good enough before he lost that's the whole point

Rankings aren't even based on records...

You didn't know if Edmen wasn't good enough before he lost that's the whole point
Then what is it based on, if it's not based on who beats who?
Maybe Edmen would have won if he was more experienced, that's my whole point.

And stop feeding their young prospects to top 10 guys before they are ready.
Tonight was just another example of why these young prospects should fight cans and unranked fighters in order to gain experience before they step in the cage with the top guys in their respective divisions.
Also, I hope that the people who are pushing for Chimaev to fight a top 10 guy now realize why that is a terrible idea. Discuss.

Boxing has more in common with WWE than UFC

You want fixed fights?

Then what is it based on, if it's not based on who beats who?
Maybe Edmen would have won if he was more experienced, that's my whole point.
It's about guys beating other guys.

If a dude is 20-0 and has never fought in the UFC he's not going to be ranked #1

Back