UFC/MMA should learn from boxing...

Utahraptor Ostrommaysi

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And stop feeding their young prospects to top 10 guys before they are ready.
Tonight was just another example of why these young prospects should fight cans and unranked fighters in order to gain experience before they step in the cage with the top guys in their respective divisions.
Also, I hope that the people who are pushing for Chimaev to fight a top 10 guy now realize why that is a terrible idea. Discuss.

If the UFC learned from boxing, Khabib would be fighting guys like Cerrone twice or three times a year for three years and then fight guys like Gaethje and Poirier once every three to four years.

Everyone is so concerned with the fighters being undefeated in MMA. There's so many disciplines and aspects to MMA that the smallest thing can shift the outcome of q fight whether it be in or out of the cage.

Do you know who much s*** would be talked on here if an undefeated 10-0 MMA guy was fighting guys with something like 5-15 records... Boxing has a way bigger pool to pull this off and also in Boxing guys are around 20-0 before even sniffing a title shot...

This sentence should almost never be used in the English language. In Dana's own words the main reason the business succeeded is because he did the opposite of pretty much everything boxing did(though he's departed from that a bit in recent years).

If a good fighter not having a shiny 0,1 or 2 next to their record bothers you that's a you issue. Boxing is built on padding a lot of people peoples records to justify hyping up fights between them. We should be better than that and respect good competition.

Fuck that, what's the point of a padded record if you still gonna get smashed when you get to the top? I love that the UFC and MMA in general is more "put your money where your mouth is" than boxing.

It's up to the manager and the fighter to pick and choose as best as they can.

Boxing takes so goddamn long to build up a prospect. The 20-0 record doesn't mean nearly as much in boxing as compared to MMA since the first 10 fights or so are against cans.

If the UFC learned from boxing, Khabib would be fighting guys like Cerrone twice or three times a year for three years and then fight guys like Gaethje and Poirier once every three to four years.

Everyone is so concerned with the fighters being undefeated in MMA. There's so many disciplines and aspects to MMA that the smallest thing can shift the outcome of q fight whether it be in or out of the cage.
Khabib was 25-0 and 9-0 in the UFC before he got a title shot. And he only fights once or twice a year anyway. So if anything he kind of proves my point.
All I'm saying is there is a reason why most of the top stars in boxing are either undefeated or they only have one or two losses on their record. It's because they gain experience fighting cans and journeymen before they fight the top guys.
Of course there is always going to be more ways way lose in MMA, but I think you would see more guys with mostly wins and only a handful of losses on their records if these young guys weren't rushed into fights with the top 10 guys before they were ready for it.

People want to see the best fight the best

Losses are nothing to be afraid of when you're fighting the best

The UFC wants to have the best fighters, there's no room for that many cans for guys to crush

Terrible take

Khabib was 25-0 and 9-0 in the UFC before he got a title shot. And he only fights once or twice a year anyway. So if anything he kind of proves my point.
All I'm saying is there is a reason why most of the top stars in boxing are either undefeated or they only have one or two losses on their record. It's because they gain experience fighting cans and journeymen before they fight the top guys.
Of course there is always going to be more ways way lose in MMA, but I think you would see more guys with mostly wins and only a handful of losses on their records if these young guys weren't rushed into fights with the top 10 guys before they were ready for it.

Look at @Kung Fu Kowboy and his post. He sums it up perfectly. You could blend our two posts together. I hope MMA is never like boxing.

I don’t think MMA fighters can keep up that longevity of taking damage, you can’t have a totally defensive-centric style in MMA like you can in boxing, too many ways to get hurt.

Well Bellator did that with MVP and we shit all over them for it lmao. I like how UFC will give a prospect a couple of easier fights and then test them against a more dangerous veteran/journeyman, although in hindsight Brunson really was a pretty drastic step up in competition. We remember how brutal some of his losses were but in reality he's only lost to the elite of the division.

This sentence should almost never be used in the English language. In Dana's own words the main reason the business succeeded is because he did the opposite of pretty much everything boxing did(though he's departed from that a bit in recent years).

If a good fighter not having a shiny 0,1 or 2 next to their record bothers you that's a you issue. Boxing is built on padding a lot of people peoples records to justify hyping up fights between them. We should be better than that and respect good competition.
Look, all I'm saying is that young guys should gain more experience before they fight top ranked guys. I don't what's so unreasonable about that.
Also there is a reason that MMA isn't taken as seriously by the masses, because half of the fighters have double digit losses on their record. Someone with Jorge Masvidal's record, for example, would never sniff a title shot in boxing. Yet he just fought for the title a few weeks ago.

People want to see the best fight the best

Losses are nothing to be afraid of when you're fighting the best

The UFC wants to have the best fighters, there's no room for that many cans for guys to crush

Terrible take
You have to give guys fights that are relatively close to their level, you can’t have a prospect at the bottom of the rankings go straight to the top 10 that is exactly what you are saying boxing does, Brunson essentially fought a way overmatched fighter.

Do you know who much s*** would be talked on here if an undefeated 10-0 MMA guy was fighting guys with something like 5-15 records... Boxing has a way bigger pool to pull this off and also in Boxing guys are around 20-0 before even sniffing a title shot...
I think MMA would be better off in the long run if it was like that. MMA isn't taken as seriously by the masses because half of the fighter have double digit losses on their records. Someone with Jorge Masvidal's record, for example, would never get a title shot in boxing. Yet he just fought for the title a few weeks ago.

You have to give guys fights that are relatively close to their level, you can’t have a prospect at the bottom of the rankings go straight to the top 10 that is exactly what you are saying boxing does, Brunson essentially fought a way overmatched fighter.
<PlusJuan>

But you don't know what level he is on until after, the majority of people thought Shabazyan was going to win. He had just beaten Tavares who is a fringe top 15 guy, he deserved a step up in competition. He lost, so now he gets a lesser opponent. This isn't rocket science

I think MMA would be better off in the long run if it was like that. MMA isn't taken as seriously by the masses because half of the fighter have double digit losses on their records. Someone with Jorge Masvidal's record, for example, would never get a title shot in boxing. Yet he just fought for the title a few weeks ago.
You're comparing apples and oranges.

so what, we can watch a 25-0 prospect finally fight a live opponent? MMA is just fine. you can rise fast and you can lose fast, that's how it should be. if you got the goods we'll see it within a year or 2, if you don't, we'll also see that in a year or 2.

i don't want to be 70 yrs old before i find out a prospect who is 38-0 is actually a legit fighter.

Back