UFC match making is stupid

He wasn't even a dominant champion or anything. Completely, absolutely, undeserving.

Getting a little tired of people shitting on matchmakers as if it's just as easy as taking two guys and putting them together to fight. You've got guys wanting more money, guys getting injured, guys already injured, guys who want longer camps, guys who won't fight "friends", guys who just turn down the fight for whatever reason.

Am I a huge fan of rematches? Sometimes, sometimes I'm not. Sometimes I don't think they are warranted. But matchmaking is hard. Some people just seem to be under the impression that you can just put whatever fight together that you want, regardless of the circumstances, and if they don't want to, you just make them. That isn't how it works.

UFC has completely ruined and de-legitimized what title contender means. They literally just give it to the guy they like the most or who they think will sell the most tickets.

I would have been perfectly fine if Cain fought Rothwell, Stipe or anyone else in the top 5. If he won, sure give him the rematch.

An instant rematch simply because he didn't look himself? He was beaten everywhere the fight went and was finished. In my opinion, this is an even worse than giving Gustafsson a title shot.

Barring an absolute robbery, I think there should be a no rematch clause period. I don't care if you are Anderson Silva or Fedor. If you lost, you need to work your way back to a title shot even if it's winning just one fight. No do-overs.

there is only ONE golden rule when it comes to UFC title shots. and it is....

no matter who gets it, a bunch of people bitch that it wasn't someone else.

stick around awhile TS, you'll see.

It wasn't a close fight at all.. No need for an immediate rematch. Especially given that Cain had only fought two different people since like 2010 before losing to Werdum. Shit matchmaking. Ignoring contenders, not making contenders, failing to make super fights, deliberately positions people for title shots, having unearned title shots and generally questionable matchmaking, especially for heavier weight classes, is what I've come to expect out of Joe Silva.

Getting a little tired of people shitting on matchmakers as if it's just as easy as taking two guys and putting them together to fight. You've got guys wanting more money, guys getting injured, guys already injured, guys who want longer camps, guys who won't fight "friends", guys who just turn down the fight for whatever reason.

Am I a huge fan of rematches? Sometimes, sometimes I'm not. Sometimes I don't think they are warranted. But matchmaking is hard. Some people just seem to be under the impression that you can just put whatever fight together that you want, regardless of the circumstances, and if they don't want to, you just make them. That isn't how it works.

Match making is not that hard.

First off there is no standardization what so ever they have to adhere to. They are free to make whatever fights they want. Wins and losses are irrelevant to them, nothing stopping them from making any fight they want. They miss the mark all the time, or try and obviously force what they want, there is no excuse for some of the misses they've had on events with all their resources.

tell me about it......its very annoying where there are new contenders and we get the same fights repeated

Cain's record since first winning the belt against Brock is just silly.

I've been a fan from the get-go, but let's be real. Cain is a cage fighter with a 4-2 record in championship fights.

And Zuffa acts like every fight he's involved in, regardless of the outcome, has the makings of an Ali/Frazer type situation.

It would be laughable if it wasn't such a damned waste of the division as a whole and Cain in particular.

Miocic vs Rothwell, AA vs Mir, that means cain is getting a rematch??? I understand a rematch in certain situations, but cain was a bloody mess, gassed, and got subbed! He does not deserve a rematch. I hate this! I getting sick of it. How many chances will cain get? If he loses. does he win 1 fight and get another rematch? doesnt make any sense. I think alot of you are delusional to think anyone outside of us hardcore will ever take this thing seriously!

rant over

If I've got the puzzle figured out, I'm pretty sure a loss means he has to murder Bigfoot again before getting the rematch.

They've kinda screwed me up with the double Werdum, but I'm pretty sure it's Bigfoot next.

I could be wrong, tho.

Could be JDS 4, and then Bigfoot 3, and then Werdum 3, and then Brock 2 at Wrestlemania.

That would make sense, too.

Tricky.

Us fans WOULD like to see different match ups ya know UFC?

You know what, it often seems like matchmakers do none of the stuff you mentioned, or even considered it. Fighters have found out they're fighting via other people's twitter.

Yeah, Anderson should have never got his rematch with Weidman. Nor Hendricks having to fight Lawler again after HIS injury. And the initial Barao-Dillashaw II rematch that was planned? All bullshit match making
:):that was sarcasm, retard.::)

The difference being, counting a second fight against Wedum, the majority of Cain's fights since the first time he won the strap in 2010 will have come against guys he has already fought.

Also, Anderson defended the title 10 times in a row before Weidman (and had a few non title wins in there, to boot). Cain had 2, both rematches.

Also Barao was on a 32 fight undefeated streak when TJ beat him. Cain was on a 4 fight undefeated streak.

Also, Lawler didn't get an instant rematch.

Yes, because every fighter accepts every fight offered...

Matchmaker is the worst job in the UFC next to janitor.

Matchmaking that involves your champion isn't as complex as a lot of you guys are making it out to be...

I would have been perfectly fine if Cain fought Rothwell, Stipe or anyone else in the top 5. If he won, sure give him the rematch.

An instant rematch simply because he didn't look himself? He was beaten everywhere the fight went and was finished. In my opinion, this is an even worse than giving Gustafsson a title shot.

Barring an absolute robbery, I think there should be a no rematch clause period. I don't care if you are Anderson Silva or Fedor. If you lost, you need to work your way back to a title shot even if it's winning just one fight. No do-overs.

Stipe, sure. But I would much rather see him fight Werdum again than to see him have a rematch with Rothwell. A rematch with Werdum could be a good fight (though I do prefer guys get a win in), while the first Rothwell fight did nothing for me, and I think a rematch would probably be more of the same.

Match making is not that hard.

First off there is no standardization what so ever they have to adhere to. They are free to make whatever fights they want. Wins and losses are irrelevant to them, nothing stopping them from making any fight they want. They miss the mark all the time, or try and obviously force what they want, there is no excuse for some of the misses they've had on events with all their resources.

Sure, they can make any fight they want. Like Koscheck/Fitch, GSP/Silva, Jones/Gustafsson II, Cruz/Barao, Jones/anone at UFC 151, etc.

The bottom line is, shit happens. People complain because they don't always make the best fights. But why wouldn't they want to? Maybe they try to, but can't. Maybe there are reasons we don't know about. Really, what is the incentive to make fights nobody wants? What would make them not want to put on the fights everyone wants? Maybe certain circumstances prevent them from a lot of the fights people want to see.

I'm not saying every decision they make is perfect. But I do believe in options. I also know that you won't please everyone. Different people have different expectations. So when there are multiple options, the fanbase will be split. I know in this case, there are people who wanted JDS to get the shot. Some people wanted Arlovski. Some wanted Miocic. There were also some that actually wanted the Velasquez rematch. Now, I would prefer give it to a new guy and let Velasquez get a win first. But not everyone is going to agree with me. But maybe there were conditions that made their decision easier. Maybe one of them wouldn't be ready in time. Maybe one said they didn't want a shot yet. Who knows?

I strongly disagree with the idea that it isn't that hard.

Think those fights are fine but I dont like the Cain rematch but I understand why they are doing it.

JDS/Reem, AA/Mir, STipe/Rothwell are good fights.

Funny thing is I bet Cain wins the Werdum rematch, the layoff and fighting at altitude def hurt him.

You know what, it often seems like matchmakers do none of the stuff you mentioned, or even considered it. Fighters have found out they're fighting via other people's twitter.

If they found out via other people's twitter, the fight obviously hadn't been officially offered to them yet. It's not official until the ink is dry on the contract.

How many times have we heard of fighters saying they wanted to fight, but then didn't go through with it. It's not always on the UFC's end. Remember Machida wanting "Anderson Silva money"? How about all of the times Nate Diaz says he will fight a guy, then he says he won't, but then he says he didn't back down, but he just won't fight for "funny money"? Guys have said they would fight other guys for free before. You think that would really go down?

I'm just saying, people lay it all on the UFC, but if all of the fighters were really ready to fight "anytime, anyplace, anywhere", we would probably see a lot more of the fights we want.

Shit, it's not just UFC. Remember Strikeforce? The lunatics ran the asylum. They had a HW division that rivaled the UFC, but they couldn't get anyone to fight each other. You had guys refusing to fight other guys. You had guys who wanted to renegotiate after every fight. They had to put on a tournament to get them to actually fight each other. Didn't anyone find it odd that the champ fought the #1 contender, the #2 and 3 fought each other, and that the last 4 were on the other side of the bracket rather than it being evenly seeded? They set it up to simulate the natural progression the division should have taken. There shouldn't have had to been a tournament to do it. The champ should have just fought the #1. The next two guys in line should have fought each other in a title eliminator. The other 4 should have fought it out to see who gets a shot after that. Those are the fights that they should have made even if there wasn't a tournament. But it took a tournament to make it happen. Further proof is that initially, Overeem/Werdum was going to be for the title...and the winner was going to defend against the Fedor/Bigfoot winner, and the winner of that was going to defend against the winner of the other side of the bracket, but they ended up scrapping that idea.

Another example of matchmaking not being that easy. Remember when Chad Mendes was fighting guys like Cody McKenzie? Word was that they couldn't get anyone to agree to fight him. Everyone was trying to get to a title shot, but nobody wanted to have to go through Mendes to get there. So he he had to settle for guys like McKenzie and Yaotzin Meza.

The matchmaking and creativity in the UFC is non existent.

So many options, so many possibilities and yet the UFC manages to make the most "wtf" matches possible.

002_joe_silva_and_dana_white_watch_fighters.0.jpg

You don't undersand busssssinessss.

I'm kidding of course.

I don't give a f*ck if the UFC wants to break into Mexico. I'm sick of immediate rematches. I mean f*ck.

The UFC is just recycling the old top 10 HWs and doing rematches and instant rematches.

F*ck that.

But OK, what if they are just looking for an option to give Fedor a reasonable tile shot. Iike, whhat if they are counting on Cain getting injured, pulling out and Fedor stepping in as a savior:)

Would be awesome lol:D

Back