UFC Legend Lyoto Machida talks about Jon Jones drug issues

No, no he's not. Fedor and Royce are actually the only guys that come to mind when I think of Legends when it comes to mma. The sport is too new to have legends. Every champion and guy that is great isn't a fuckign legend.

Sounds like you have a very restrictive definition of "legend." Other people's are looser. Personally, I lean more toward the latter than toward the former.

In any case, if out of the ENTIRE sport of MMA, those are the only two that you'd call "legends" then that's pretty crazy.

no. athletes are not, and should not, be role models. end of story.

agree that they should not, but they automatically are... especially someone like jones. he's got thousands of kids looking up to him. and unlike an artist, athletes represent a healthy lifestyle... i can certainly understand the hype with this situation.

personally, i don't give shit...

it doesn't matter, in my opinion. you can't expect other adults who are not related to you to be moral heroes in society. they have no obligation to make a good impression on your kid.

people must be trolling me, right? god i hope so.

That's your opinion and your opinion doesn't mean anything. Everyone is responsible for how they influence others, like it or not, it makes no difference. You will still be judged for it, just as people will be judged for their actions.

so it's up to jon jones to raise your kid? where do you fit into this equation? what if jones comes up to your kid and tells him or her to do something you don't approve of? does his opinion override yours?

take care of your own damn kids. people are lazy as hell nowadays.

I understand your point, but you act like you have an iron grip over your children's minds. Sure, you can do what you can to raise them right, but they're still going to be influenced by the outside world and there's not shit you can do about that.

http://www.tatame.com.br/lyoto-anal...ele-nao-e-mais-um-garoto-e-um-pai-de-familia/

Lyoto-machida-sons.jpg

Chill with the 'legend' for a one-time champ and two-time contender.

athletes certainly don't have to be role models. but when one has repeatedly stated throughout his career that he wants to inspire others through his life, be someone that young people look up to, and essentially be a role model, it's understandable of the hypocrisy when he's a bad example. i don't think that anyone can argue that being a father and getting a DUI, doing cocaine, and "(his) share of partying" (a euphemism for drug use) is NOT a good example. it's a demonstration of poor character, and it's all the more distasteful because Jones has claimed to be a good guy who wants to be known for his character.

I understand your point, but you act like you have an iron grip over your children's minds. Sure, you can do what you can to raise them right, but they're still going to be influenced by the outside world and there's not shit you can do about that.

And also what about the other kids whose parents are scumbags or kids that don't have a mom or a dad period? They are a going to look for somebody to look up to. Somebody to live by example. They are definitely going to be influenced by guys like Jon Jones.

Legends never die. 100 years from now, do you think guys like Machida and Shogun will be known and talked about by everyone? no. Babe Ruth is a legend, Vince Lombardi is a legend, Fedor is a legend. This whole, every great athlete/fighter has to classified as a legend because they're in the HOF or some shit is ridiculous. Legend is reserved for the GOATS and that's fucking it. People around here turn it into ( well he was in the top 5 once). It's horseshit. The meaning of the word has never changed, people just decided to water it down because they're morons that are too inept to understand what it means.

I hate to be the one to say it, but other than beating a bunch of (mostly) inexperienced dudes in the early UFCs, Royce really didn't do much in MMA. Don't get me wrong, I DO think he's a legend, because winning those early tournaments was a very important development for martial arts as a whole. And as a small guy it was impressive to see him beat guys like Ken and Severn.

But, I mean, pretty much every notable thing he did in the sport spanned TWO YEARS from '93 to '94. It's now 2015.

And also what about the other kids whose parents are scumbags or kids that don't have a mom or a dad period? They are a going to look for somebody to look up to. Somebody to live by example. They are definitely going to be influenced by guys like Jon Jones.

I dunno, I guess I'm really on the fence about it. On one hand, I can see the point that these people have a responsibility to use their fame wisely. On the other, I'm kind of like, So just because you get famous you can't just be yourself?

Well, everybody should be a model. I don't know if coke is bad though.

Self-actualisation is the important thing. And my personal message to people is that I hope they will go toward self-actualisation rather than self-image actualisation. I hope that they will search within themselves for honest self-expression.

Concepts vs. self-actualisation. - Instead of dedicating your life to actualise a concept of what you should be like, ACTUALISE YOURSELF. The process of maturing does not mean to become a captive of conceptualisation. It is to come to the realisation of what lies in our innermost selves.

Nowadays, whetever you want it or not, MMA fighters influences millions of young people. Kids are fullfilling gyms, and training bjj, muai thay, boxing, and their idols are guys such as GSP, Royce, Anderson, Machida, and they train and want to be, someday, great as those fighters. And what those fighters do will eventually influence those kids.

your argument is weak.

musicians influence millions- is it their job to display a certain level of morality as well?

this is a parenting/family problem,

and to be frank, you probably had a poor parenting model like most people under the age of 45, so you aren't even aware of what good parenting looks like.

its an "unconscious/incompetent" vs "conscious/incompetent" thing:

if you have a 5 month old baby and a 5 yr old kid, neither are competent to drive you in a car to the hospital. but the 5 yr old at least knows what a car is- the baby isn't even aware of that.

our society has fallen off so bad, people don't even now what they don't know.

but they are role models... so in reality your opinion means nothing bc it is not fact.

thats like saying dana white is not bald

I agree with you completely. Fact is though we'll talk about him in this sport forever because he was the main pioneer of the sport.

That's true. I think Machida really is a pioneer of sorts in his own right, though. You ask if he'll be remembered down the road, and I think he may very possibly be remembered as the first guy to have wide-scale successes using a traditional martial art as his base.

your argument is weak.

musicians influence millions- is it their job to display a certain level of morality as well?

this is a parenting/family problem,

and to be frank, you probably had a poor parenting model like most people under the age of 45, so you aren't even aware of what good parenting looks like.

wanna know something? your an idiot.

the world itself shapes everyone in some way.. its not really a choice wether you like it or not, artist, actors, athletes, scientist, etc are role models to some people in their own way. I do not think you have full brain function

wanna know something? your an idiot.

the world itself shapes everyone in some way.. its not really a choice wether you like it or not, artist, actors, athletes, scientist, etc are role models to some people in their own way. I do not think you have full brain function

your argument is worse-

"we are influenced by our environment, therefore our environment is responsible for us".

so.... I was raised in a favela. it influenced me, therefore the favela must try harder to be a good neighborhood.

see my edited post, as you are an example. you don't even know what you don't even know.

Wouldn't it be fucking crazy if Machida got popped for PEDs? That really would surprise me.

To be honest yes, would be one of those things that nobody would expected.
But having a father like his, I don't think so.

Back