News UFC lawsuit docs reveal Joe Silva’s negotiation tactics with Nick Diaz, Jon Jones, Roy Nelson & plus

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
We see why Diaz isn't fighting as frequently as everyone wants.

Sounds like his management wasn't the problem, it was Joe Silva.
<{MindBrown}>

THIS SOME SHIT RIGHT HERE

<Cage33>

Almost everything I've ever read about Joe Silva paints him in a very bad light indeed. I recall *somewhere* reading or seeing a video about UFC own staff (cannot remember who, was years ago) calling Joe Silva some really nasty denigrating stuff. Seems nobody really liked the guy and with good reason. Glad to see the back of that dude, he was a real piece of work by many accounts.

You do realize that we already know significant portions of the UFC contract are non-negotiable right? The fighters have no leverage.

They are trying to find the minimum reserve price of a fighter and only pay them that. That is what will they take before they exit the organization. They might be threatened by a cut but the UFC may not wish to cut them. The fighter doesn't know that.

?

Any fighter has a choice of whether or not to sign a contract. As I said, the onus is on the fighter to understand the contract they are signing or pay a professional to explain it to them.

Everything the UFC does is spelled out in the contracts the fighters sign. I don't agree with how they treat fighters in the slightest but their contracts are designed specifically to not only get the most for the least (as most contracts are) but also to protect them from disgruntled fighters trying to back out or file lawsuits.

Randy Couture had very deep pockets when he took on the UFC and he lost. Mark Hunt's lawsuit is going exactly nowhere.

This class action suit (and that's essentially what it is) has zero leverage. Court cases are based on companies doing things not spelled out in their contracts.
Everything the UFC does is spelled out in it's agreements. Agreements the fighters signed (Whether they understood it or not), agreements that the fighters are given copies of.

I've seen pieces of the UFC contracts boilerplates that have been posted on the web (and here). They are very comprehensive.

You do realize that fighters are defined as independent contractors employed by a company based in the US right? Co-Employment laws in the US are the biggest thing the UFC has to worry about, not this class action nonsense that will go exactly nowhere.

Companies employing "Independent Contractors" can terminate their employment any time they want without cause. That's the basis of the independent contractor agreement.

Source : UFC lawsuit docs reveal Joe Silva’s negotiation tactics with Nick Diaz, Roy Nelson, and Hector Lombard

Extracts:

- Everytime a fighter is injured the UFC can disproportionately extend his contract

-About trying to not renew your contract and fight it all

- UFC can extend any contract 6 months if a fighter refuses a fight

- Négociation tactics

With Nick Diaz :

With Roy Nelson :

Hector Lombard :

I suggest to read the full article, very interesting : https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/8/...-nick-diaz-roy-nelson-hector-lombard-mma-news

This the dude in @chitoortiz avatar!?!? Son of a Bitch! <Ellaria01>

I’m shocked that a company run by shady fight promoters, would take advantage of their participants in such a way.

Goddamn, this stuff coming to light is really fascinating.

Just another reason why Fedor is the GOAT. Dana, Joe, and the rest of the jackasses can go fuck themselves.

More so the UFC than the fighters. This is why we have laws to limit this shit and why there will be a union eventually. This is like saying the foreign laborers abused in the middle east in places like dubai, its not dubais fault its the workers for getting abused because they agreed to the rules and laws of dubai.

If enough folks don't agree with the terms, then the terms would have to change

Their choices are essentially
1) Get screwed.
2) Don't work.
3) Try your luck in a weak open market

That's the business they're in.

A drug dealer's choices are essentially

1) Sell drugs until you get killed
2) Sell drugs until you go to jail
3) Don't be a drug dealer

That's the business they're in.

A drug dealer's choices are essentially

1) Sell drugs until you get killed
2) Sell drugs until you go to jail
3) Don't be a drug dealer

Lmfao you're so goofy I love it.

That's not getting "played," it's getting screwed.

All of this shit is illegal in boxing, yet there are people on this forum who constantly side with the UFC and shit on fighters for "not negotiating better contracts." As if the contracts actually work in the fighters' favor.

Also, this confirms what I've been saying for years about Silva. He was one of the biggest scumbags in combat sports, but, unlike Dana, was smart enough to keep his dirt behind the scenes.
Dana is the mma version of the little league coach who picks his own kid to be on all star teams even when they suck

Lmfao you're so goofy I love it.

Seriously though, why is there never any conversation on the lack of accountability on the part of the fighters?

The UFC isn't the only way for a person to make a living.

What are they supposed to do? Crush cans in King if the Cage for the rest of their career or go fight in Japan?

The UFC is the only way to really become famous in MMA?

Or are you suggesting they go get a real job like Stipe or Luke Rockhold?

Seriously though, why is there never any conversation on the lack of accountability on the part of the fighters?

Because they’re not all smart people. A lot of them are knuckleheads who are only good at striking and wrestling and Jiu Jitsu.

Nick Diaz didn’t know HOW to buy a house or WHY he would.

It’s like R. kelly he never bought property he just rented it and now is broke.

They are good at fighting and the promoters often take advantage of them and bleed them until they can’t fight anymore and have brain damage.

Anyone know if UFC loses this lawsuit is WME/Endeavor liable or the Fertittas?

Back