News UFC lawsuit docs reveal Joe Silva’s negotiation tactics with Nick Diaz, Jon Jones, Roy Nelson & plus

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
On one side I want fighters to get treated right, on the other hand if they earn more money, they will never fight...

Boxing is far more corrupt than MMA.

UFC uses lawyers for its corruption. Boxing does things old school.

And frankly while I agree that the UFC's tactics are scummy as hell, any fighter signing with the UFC could have spent $500 to have a sports lawyer review their contract before they signed it.

Any fighter that is connected to any of the major gyms, (Jackson Wink etc) would be well aware in advance that this is how the UFC plays ball.

Why this case is ultimately going to lose is the fighters signed these agreements knowing full well what the reprecussions would be. They willingly chose to be bound by these crazy rules and that is exactly what the UFC will argue in court.

You do realize that we already know significant portions of the UFC contract are non-negotiable right? The fighters have no leverage.

They are trying to find the minimum reserve price of a fighter and only pay them that. That is what will they take before they exit the organization. They might be threatened by a cut but the UFC may not wish to cut them. The fighter doesn't know that.

You clowns still wanna parade around here calling the Diaz brothers divas who refuse to fight anyone?

<209Bitch>

Where's that 90% of posters today?

On one side I want fighters to get treated right, on the other hand if they earn more money, they will never fight...
Apparently the NFL, NHL, NBA etc. all have trouble finding talent and having them play.

The reason why fighters exit as soon as they get a HUGE payday is because they are treated like absolute trash. Very few ever get actually paid. Of course they are going to quit. They know it will never happen again. Those other athletes in other sports? They know they WILL get paid so why leave. They get comfortable and happy.

You guys should see how the local promotions treat these pro fighters before they finally make it to the “big leagues”, this is nothing to gripe about, its freaking cage fighting and the UFC are giving them a platform for us rejects to watch it on.

I still think its funny how many young people still aspire to to this for a living. Its a pure ego sport. The money will never be there.

I'm not sure why people are surprised at any/all of the following:
  • That it's a dirty game
  • Negotiations get dirty
  • That Joe SIlva, while working for a company, is doing his best to get the best outcome for his company
If I owned something, I'd probably want Joe SIlva to be negotiating on my behalf. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the stuff now sounds dirty but look back, UFC had all the negotiating power back then with them being by far the largest organisation and negotiated like they had the power. Fighters sign the contracts that allows them to get cut or they're stuck with he UFC for a inordinate amount of time. Similar to the guy that can't get out of his KOTC contract.

On Nick Diaz, it couldn't have been 2010 surely. Looking at the fightfinder, looks like he was in the Strikeforce/EliteXC. Not sure when Strikeforce was sold but by then, he was getting big with a bit of notoriety (with his win over F Shamrock and the "Sometimes these things happen in MMA" incident) yes, Strikeforce being sold meant he lost bargaining power, but I don't think they would've tried it. 2006 however, would make sense with matches against the likes to Sean Sherk. But I don't think the money was there to offer a guy not near the top 30 and 30.

Surely Roy Nelson didn't turn that contract down...

You guys should see how the local promotions treat these pro fighters before they finally make it to the “big leagues”, this is nothing to gripe about, its freaking cage fighting and the UFC are giving them a platform for us rejects to watch it on.

I still think its funny how many young people still aspire to to this for a living. Its a pure ego sport. The money will never be there.

There's money, but like with most professional sports, you need to be near the top to have a chance.

It's like boxing, there's Mayweather money and then there's the guy getting a fraction at the other end of the card.

Ufc has the most slummiest unethical business practices, I don't know how people support them until today by buying their ppvs and merch. They deserve to get a ufc hot dog symbol branded on their forehead next to a loser sign lol

That’s not entirely true.

I started watching 10 years ago and payouts have more than doubled in that time.

Guys used to get paid 3 plus 3 when I was watching ufc 66.

If it doubles again in 10 years they’ll be much better.

No wonder Brock, GSP, and Rousey don't want to come back. Floyd Mayweather knew what he was talking about when he called Dana White a pimp.

Conor McGregor is smart to fight less often while he has maximum value. This is exactly why he does it.

Last edited:
That’s not entirely true.

I started watching 10 years ago and payouts have more than doubled in that time.

Guys used to get paid 3 plus 3 when I was watching ufc 66.

If it doubles again in 10 years they’ll be much better.
My understanding is that they froze them recently and have made it known it won't be going up again. This came out around the time the IPO documents came to light months ago. What it is now is considered permanent.

Apparently the NFL, NHL, NBA etc. all have trouble finding talent and having them play.

The reason why fighters exit as soon as they get a HUGE payday is because they are treated like absolute trash. Very few ever get actually paid. Of course they are going to quit. They know it will never happen again. Those other athletes in other sports? They know they WILL get paid so why leave. They get comfortable and happy.
I think the fighters quit as soon as they can because fighting fucks you up for the rest of your life... especially with what we are learning about CTE. Way more damage than in other sports, except maybe for NFL, but NFL pays way better so

Hilarious, if you choose to be a fighter I have no sympathy for you, when has the UFC ever treated anyone right?

Having said that Joe Silva seems like a cruel little man

But if they're signing the contracts that don't give them that, who's fault is that?

More so the UFC than the fighters. This is why we have laws to limit this shit and why there will be a union eventually. This is like saying the foreign laborers abused in the middle east in places like dubai, its not dubais fault its the workers for getting abused because they agreed to the rules and laws of dubai.

Are all these caveats in the initial contract that fighters are signing?

I think the fighters quit as soon as they can because fighting fucks you up for the rest of your life... especially with what we are learning about CTE. Way more damage than in other sports, except maybe for NFL, but NFL pays way better so
Exactly. They even have similar careers. Roughly 5 years as a pro. You would have to include HS/College/Development which all does enormous damage just like MMA/Combat Sports training.

The guys/gals with long real pro careers are rare. It's why they dominate the rest of the pack. Izzy, Valentina, Joanna are examples. But the pace some of them fight at (Izzy and Joanna) also more rapidly destroys them. Izzy for example will never be the same after his recent rise. People will fight what's left. Similar to Conor. GSP at least had his grappling/wrestling to fall back on. People hated that but it's what made him last so long.

Anyone being an apologist for a multi-million dollar corporation's shady business practises, really needs to get some perspective.

Last edited:
Back