News UFC lawsuit docs reveal Joe Silva’s negotiation tactics with Nick Diaz, Jon Jones, Roy Nelson & plus

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 512089

Source : UFC lawsuit docs reveal Joe Silva’s negotiation tactics with Nick Diaz, Roy Nelson, and Hector Lombard

Extracts:

- Everytime a fighter is injured the UFC can disproportionately extend his contract
Singer’s report alleges that the UFC began automatically extending the contracts of fighters’ who were known to be injured after a bout, thus prolonging how long a fighter was controlled by the UFC and how long the UFC had to offer them bouts. [...]

In a message to ZUFFA’s Fighter Relations czar Tracy Long 16-fight UFC veteran Matt Wiman wrote, “I’m a little confused about my extension... Can u explain it in simpler terms to me... I was only injured 2-3 months and the letter states an 8 month extension.”

-About trying to not renew your contract and fight it all
In his deposition Fitch said this is what happened to current UFC heavyweight Andrei Arlovski, and former fighter Roger Huerta. “I know two examples where the guys were brave enough to see it through,” said Fitch. “Most guys know if you don’t sign the re-up, you don’t get your bout agreement. If you don’t get your bout agreement, you don’t get paid, you don’t get money, you can’t feed your children.”

- UFC can extend any contract 6 months if a fighter refuses a fight
In Silva’s deposition he confirmed that the UFC had the ability to extend fighters’ contracts for six months if they turned down a fight. The report states that, “In principle, Zuffa could retain a Fighter under contract in perpetuity if the Fighter refused to accept matchups that Zuffa proposed.”

The report also includes email exchanges from Silva that show this provision being considered with both Jon Jones and Roy Nelson (Extracts 3 and 4).

In 2014 the UFC’s top lawyer Lawrence Epstein wrote in an email to Assistant General Counsel Kirk Hendrick and Senior Vice President Business, Legal, and Government Affairs Mike Mersch, about Jones, stating, “We need to send him a letter formally offering the Gustafson (sic) fight and giving him a specific deadline to accept or reject. When he says no we need to extend him.”

- Négociation tactics

With Nick Diaz :
Silva’s negotiating style is also on display in emails from April 2010, when he discussed his approach to trying to re-sign Nick Diaz (see Extract 4). “I lowballed them on purpose the first offer knowing they would turn it down,” wrote Silva. “How bout I come back with 29+29, 32+32, 35+35, 38+38. If they turn it down I put him in a prelim against a really tough guy for his last fight.”

With Roy Nelson :
In 2013 Lorenzo Fertitta wrote this about Nelson after his manager turned down a new contract offer. “I offered 9 fights 125+50 for regular bout, 500 flat for title fight, 500 plus ppv if defending. If ppv does 600k buys he makes 1.1m. Very fair offer.”

Silva responded with, “If you can’t get Roy to do that deal tell him instead he can fight Dos Santos June 15 in Winnipeg on his last fight for 24+24. f he turns that fight down it allows us to extend his contract.”

Hector Lombard :
The documents reveal another window into Silva’s negotiation tactics thanks to what is shared regarding Hector Lombard (see Extract 2). Singer’s report quotes Silva, who explained that when Lombard was on the fourth fight of his eight-fight UFC contract, he stood to make $205,000 to show and $75,000 to win. However, Silva said he was able to convince Lombard to fight for less than half that amount ($100,000) in exchange for not being cut by the promotion.

I suggest to read the full article, very interesting : https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/8/...-nick-diaz-roy-nelson-hector-lombard-mma-news

GSP and Brock remain the kings of negotiating with the UFC

Thank you

Sketchy stuff

One day we will look back at how UFC fighters were treated / what they were paid and realize how borderline criminal it was

“ If they turn it down I put him in a prelim against a really tough guy for his last fight.”

tenor.gif

Good job Silva is gone then.

Good article and good cliffs, I will now never watch UFC again.

Wait... Nate vs Pettis and Cormier vs Miocic is this weekend? nevermind.

Thing is

Silva is being scapegoated here but the reality he is far from the only one to blame here

yeah well no one put a gun to their head and made them sign with ufc so that means ufc is justified in treating them however they want. can go to russia or pakistan if they don't like it

Damn Hector got played

<Dana05>

That's not getting "played," it's getting screwed.

All of this shit is illegal in boxing, yet there are people on this forum who constantly side with the UFC and shit on fighters for "not negotiating better contracts." As if the contracts actually work in the fighters' favor.

Also, this confirms what I've been saying for years about Silva. He was one of the biggest scumbags in combat sports, but, unlike Dana, was smart enough to keep his dirt behind the scenes.

Thing is

Silva is being scapegoated here but the reality he is far from the only one to blame here

The entire organization is rotten to the core. The whole brass & staff are conditioned to be like that. Hyenas. Starting with Dana.

Dana-White-Money.jpg

24 24 for Roy Nelson? Fucking robbery, guy should have gotten 150k flat

Silva has done nothing wrong here imo

Shady negotiation tactics happen in every like of business the whole point of the negotiation is to get the better end of the deal

“ If they turn it down I put him in a prelim against a really tough guy for his last fight.”

tenor.gif
Literally what happened to Kajan Johnson. Got put against Khabilov and Makachev back-to-back (should have won against Rustam) all because he spoke out against the Reebok deal.

yeah well no one put a gun to their head and made them sign with ufc so that means ufc is justified in treating them however they want. can go to russia or pakistan if they don't like it

Wow you are a fucking idiot even for Sherdog standards... I'd bet money your life absolutely sucks.

Back