UFC is making female fighters look bad

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by CELS, Jan 4, 2015.

1. CELS

CELS Brown Belt

I've been a fan of WMMA since the early days and I'm very happy that the UFC has female fighters now. But boy, they're messing it all up. A lot of casual fans are under the impression that women can't fight and considering a lot of the fights we've seen in the UFC lately, one can see how they come to that conclusion.

I don't know if anyone watched the fight between Marion Reneau and Alexis Dufresne last night, but that was just painful to watch. Because the female divisions are so shallow, the UFC is bringing in D-level fighters to pad the records for their contenders in order to legitimate their champions. Dufresne, quite frankly, looked like she'd been training less than a year. I know she had a bad weight cut, but that's not a valid excuse.

I wish the UFC would just stop trying so hard to build these new divisions before the talent is there. There are so many incredibly talented female fighters in the world, but it takes time for them to make the leap to become a professional MMA fighter. So fans go around thinking the UFC represents the best female fighters in the world, when many of the female UFC fighters would probably struggle to medal in a regional amateur championship in more than one discipline.

The UFC seems to think they can build a female division as quickly as they can build a male division, as if dedicated female martial artists weren't outnumbered to begin with, never mind female fighters who are willing to fight MMA professionally for loose change, nickels and dimes. People just end up with a totally skewed perception of female fighters.

Bah! Leave low level fighters to low level organizations, regardless of their gender.

TL;DR: Go watch yesterday's fight between Marion Reneau and Alexis Dufresne and cry bitter tears for humanity.

2. Dragonseeker

Dragonseeker Brown Belt

I honestly don't see a problem with this as long as it doesn't go on forever.

Think about it. I didn't know who Marion Reneau was, but now I do. If this fight didn't exist, I wouldn't know who she is.

3. Kneepocalypse

Kneepocalypse This is your god now.

i think the fighters are making themselves look bad.

4. Yolandabecool**

Yolandabecool** Brown Belt

The UFC aren't making WMMA bad. It is [For the most part] bad. Female athletes in every sport are the equivalent of their 14-15yr old male counterparts.

It rarely takes off because the majority of fans have a superior version of the same sport in the male arena.

5. CELS

CELS Brown Belt

In my opinion, building Marion Reneau is not worth dumping all over the division and, indirectly, the UFC brand. We've already got CM Punk fighting and Dana White talking about how Ben Askren isn't UFC caliber.

Obviously. But that's like bringing in a terrible MMA fighter from Russia and then saying Russian fighters are making themselves look bad. It's true, but it's misleading, because there are plenty of great Russian fighters.

I don't even.

6. UL

UL no more yellows Double Yellow Card

:D news

7. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

As long as Invicta keeps up the amazing pace and quality fights, I don't care what the UFC does.

8. Kneepocalypse

Kneepocalypse This is your god now.

where are all the great female fighters then? i would guess that there really aren't that many, but i don't watch much wmma outside of the UFC. i do think that bringing in atom-weights instead of the 35ers would have been a much better decision because those girls tend to be much more attractive. as base as that might seem, that is the biggest reason people became fans of Gina Carano and also something the UFC is awkwardly trying to force onto people with Rhonda.

9. TripAtTheBrain

TripAtTheBrain Mentally Incompetent

Women are shit at sport.

True story.

10. Post 2 Decision

Post 2 Decision Red Belt

Building up Reneau? She was turned away from being on TUF because she was 'too old'

The UFC is building up McGoober too, along with countless other male fighters as well

11. Yolandabecool**

Yolandabecool** Brown Belt

It's true. Every single sport. Women are fighting biology. Some fans are into the competition between two athletes on a level playing field i.e women's tennis or WMMA - For the most part however, fans prefer male competition. It's superior in every aspect. It's not too hard to see why people would want to watch a superior product.

12. Dragonseeker

Dragonseeker Brown Belt

I understand. But I don't understand how people rather watch Shawn Jordan, CM punk, and that type of male talent over girls like Rousey, McMann, and Esparza.

13. roller

roller Black Belt

Austin Powers

"This coffee tastes like shit."

Response

"It is shit."

14. tasticles

tasticles Red Belt

No they do a pretty good job of that on their own

15. Hfxtc

Hfxtc Green Belt

Right.... Like their main event (Karate Hotie beat up Mister Myagi's 50+ year old japanese wife ?)
    LMAO

16. CELS

CELS Brown Belt

Tempting to reply to every individual comment, but I won't.

I'm not saying there's a bunch of great wmma fighters lurking in the shadows. There's not. There's a pretty big drop-off when you go past the Top 10. But if you look at the best female strikers and grapplers in the world, it's clear that female fighters have a lot of talent. Certainly more than many female fighters in the UFC and, more importantly, there are many female fighters in the world who have more talent than male fighters in the UFC too!

I'm just saying the UFC should raise the bar for female fighters. Professional WMMA just hasn't come that far yet, even though the top fighters in some divisions are amazing.

Are you telling me there's no female fighter, in any discipline, in the world with the striking ability of Matt Riddle? There's still a bunch of male UFC fighters who are fairly mediocre, so it's unfair to compare every female fighter to Jon Jones and use that as proof that female fighters are plainly awful.

[​IMG]

I don't deny that male tend to be both technically and athletically superior in every sport. But when people go as far as saying that the best female athletes in any sport are at the level of 14-15 year old boys, it does seem a bit ignorant.

17. Laszlow

Laszlow Orange Belt

Pretty much

It happened with Elite XC/Strikeforce and Carano, and it's happened with the UFC and Rousey, organizations that put their eggs in one basket despite how thin their divisions are (obviously 145 more so than 135).

But I think the UFC turned a corner, made the right choice about bringing in the 115ers and went the right way about it.

And I dare say 105 will be next as established fighters like Penne (and maybe Chambers) can drop back down.

18. Laszlow

Laszlow Orange Belt

As for the validity of WMMA

Yeah let's have more of this

[​IMG]

than this

[​IMG]

19. MilesAbove

MilesAbove Gold Belt

I feel like you're not very smart. But let's play anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. odog

odog A cat trapped in a dog's body

When women fight I go for a smoke, or fast forward. I just don't understand how anyone can watch it. I try not to judge, but watching women get punched in the face is not my thing. I just can't relate.