UFC is making fans who go to live events sit there for 6 hours for 2 hours of fights.

Except that the NFL is more exciting and doesn't have a cage impacting your view.

More exciting? I guess that's a matter of opinion but I disagree.

The only time I can Imagine football actually being exciting is if you are a die hard fan of a specific team or have money riding on the game. But I don't believe the sport to be inherently exciting.

Oh my god, are people really crying about this? Seriously? seriously? SHUT UP.

is the ufc inadvertently sabotaging themselves?

trying to squeeze in promos but end up sacrificing viewers for the card that's currently airing?

It's related to Fox and maximizing the amount of time the UFC can be on their network. If they're paying them for 3 hours, best believe Fox is going to make sure they get their 3 hours worth plus the overrun. Not to mention I doubt sponsors and advertisers care how long an event is compared to how many times the Fram ad airs.

It's the same reason why football games have a commercial break after the score/before the kick off and then a commercial break immediately after the kick off. Maximizing the amount of time you're on the air and how often you can appease sponsors.

Also another thing: sometimes Globo picks up only the main/co-main event for a card so they're forced to stretch it out so that the main and co-main start within that time block. I'm not sure if this is a problem with this card but I know it's been an issue with cards in Brazil and/or cards that feature top Brazilian fighters.

6 hours is too long to be doing anything.

No issues here for that. Was at both ufc Milwaukee events. Bruce gives timeframes if there is a large break in the action so you can run to the bathroom, concession stand etc.

Same here, I went to several events, and they've all been pretty smooth throughout.

Sounds like the author of the article was bored and wanted to find something "fresh" to bash the UFC about. Dumb article is dumb.

Fuck's sake, it's called a schedule.
They HAVE to assume every fight is gonna go the distance, 15mins. Add onto that walk-ins, introductions, post-fight clearout of the cage etc and you're talking close to 30mins - hence they assign 30mins for each fight.

Except that the NFL is more exciting and doesn't have a cage impacting your view.

More exciting? rofl. Opinions are indeed like legs, some people don't have.

And you have Bruno Mars, Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas singing for you in the meantime.

I went to the event in Dallas and had a good time. It was fun drinking and hanging out with my friends.

More exciting? rofl. Opinions are indeed like legs, some people don't have.

And you have Bruno Mars, Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas singing for you in the meantime.

Yep, the UFC couldn't afford them.

Imagine Dana asking Beyonce to perform before a UFC event.

50laugh.gif

This is what A- Level athletes can do. It's more exciting than watching lay n pray and guys with Mo Hawks with sloppy striking.

shady-mccoy-preseason-run.gif

Last edited:
you're right, i'd rather be at home and watch goldie help cut promos for the new conan movie in between metro pcs ads.

Fuck's sake, it's called a schedule.
They HAVE to assume every fight is gonna go the distance, 15mins. Add onto that walk-ins, introductions, post-fight clearout of the cage etc and you're talking close to 30mins - hence they assign 30mins for each fight.

i don't see why you couldn't speed things up if fights end early, especially during prelims.

I don't agree at all.

I went to the last Fox event in Seattle from the first fight on and they have big screens all over consistently playing countdown cuts and stuff about the next fight. Or just overall UFC stuff.

Everyone around me and with me didn't mention the time at all and it didn't seem to bother anyone.

Didn't seem like a long event to me at all. I get more bored sitting through a whole mariners game.

Yea seems like this writer is trying to pretend their is an issue and looking for a solution on a problems he's made up.

i don't see why you couldn't speed things up if fights end early, especially during prelims.

I'm not positive and I really don't think this is the reason cause I don't see the UFC being this nice but I have heard fighters talk about proper warm up time. If a fighter thinks he's going to be fighting in the next 15 minutes but has to fight 10 minutes earlier it could mess up his warm up. I think GSP talked about this once being done to him.

The four FS1 prelims need to finish between 8:00-9:59 so that the ppv can start at 10. If all go to decision then the time is filled well. If all the fights end in the 1st round then there's going to be a dead period no matter what you do.

I mean if you decide to speed everything up and put one quick fight after another, then by 9:10pm you'll have nothing left, and they'll be a 50 minute dead period before the PPV starts. Not good.

Yep, the UFC couldn't afford them.

Imagine Dana asking Beyonce to perform before a UFC event.

50laugh.gif

This is what A- Level athletes can do. It's more exciting than watching lay n pray and guys with Mo Hawks with sloppy striking.

shady-mccoy-preseason-run.gif

I understand that might look super exciting to you but it's just not that great (IMO). Honestly and I'm not even trying to be a D here but this almost looks like a sarcastic statement because what you posted is not exciting in any way shape or form.

Plus comparing that to LNP fights and sloppy striking fights is dumb. Compare the most exciting of both sports and let's see who comes out on top. I'll take Pettis vs Bendo 1 over any sport in the world that's just my opinion. I just love MMA and I love fighting, I grew up during the days when kung fu movies were big and now MMA has basically brought that to life. Hell I loved it so much I did BJJ for 2 years straight until it got to expensive and now I'm more into Bodybuilding and BJJ just affects that hobby to much.

I understand that might look super exciting to you but it's just not that great (IMO). Honestly and I'm not even trying to be a D here but this almost looks like a sarcastic statement because what you posted is not exciting in any way shape or form.

Plus comparing that to LNP fights and sloppy striking fights is dumb. Compare the most exciting of both sports and let's see who comes out on top. I'll take Pettis vs Bendo 1 over any sport in the world that's just my opinion. I just love MMA and I love fighting, I grew up during the days when kung fu movies were big and now MMA has basically brought that to life. Hell I loved it so much I did BJJ for 2 years straight until it got to expensive and now I'm more into Bodybuilding and BJJ just affects that hobby to much.

If you grew up too small to play team sports and could only do martial arts then you wouldn't understand.

Believe me there 70k fans in that stadium rocking when that play happened.

Back