UFC is making fans who go to live events sit there for 6 hours for 2 hours of fights.

marksmen

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Article on mmajunkie explains that UFC is making it hard for hardcore fans to come for full events because it's half fights half filler. If a card had 12 fights on a card and they all go to a decision it's only 190 mins so basically 3 hrs of fights but that is unlikely. Usually the avg fight time of all fights is 2 hours or so and if the fans show up for the first fight of the night they end up being there for 6 hours or so while we at home watch commercials and cheesy analysis. Also a lot of the time fights cards are running over the alotted time yet still have all this filler material. The article explains how this is becoming a problem for fans that want to come watch all the fights. I think they need to focus on there time management more and satisfying the fans that are paying the money to come watch live. At home you can change the channel or do other stuff while waiting. I like the idea of 10 fights a night. Either 5 prelims and 5 main card fights or 4 prelims and 6 mains. Thoughts?

Article.
http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/its-time-to-talk-about-the-ufcs-pacing-problem/

Last edited:
Eh never been a problem for me. Ive only seen the Montreal events and its always a good time, but then again it could be cause its MTL and its one of the best cities in North America. In another city it may suck for all I know.

I don't agree at all.

I went to the last Fox event in Seattle from the first fight on and they have big screens all over consistently playing countdown cuts and stuff about the next fight. Or just overall UFC stuff.

Everyone around me and with me didn't mention the time at all and it didn't seem to bother anyone.

Didn't seem like a long event to me at all. I get more bored sitting through a whole mariners game.

And an NFL game lasts 3 hours, with 15 minutes of plays. Somehow they still pack them in.

OMG sitting at a live UFC with no commercials?! The horror!

If you've been to a UFC event, you already know everyone plays with their phones in between fights.

Doesn't everyone play with their phones in between everything?

No issues here for that. Was at both ufc Milwaukee events. Bruce gives timeframes if there is a large break in the action so you can run to the bathroom, concession stand etc.

Read the article it explains it better.

This is why I don't comprehend the overwhelming claims of a superior experience, concerning live viewing versus a home experience. Additionally, the view on one's screen is infinitely superior to watching from the heights of some arena. Then, there's the "energy of the crowd." Where I live, that equates to a bunch of posturing, "urban" knuckle walkers listening to their one friend bellow out his dim experience when he once trained with his "boy" at "da fight gym."

Have to find something to complain about I guess.

Not actually sure the UFC is "making" fans do anything. Six hour show for two hours of fights equates to more beer, which can only be a good thing.

Not actually sure the UFC is "making" fans do anything. Six hour show for two hours of fights equates to more beer, which can only be a good thing.

Ya for the vendors. There is a reason ppl dont start showing up til prelim headliner or even the main card. It's only the hardcores that go for the whole event.

And an NFL game lasts 3 hours, with 15 minutes of plays. Somehow they still pack them in.

Exactly, the NFL has a terrible action to event length ratio.

How long do NHL and NBA games last? An NHL game is not 60 minutes, they last 2.5-3 hours and MLB games go on forever.

Sometimes...... People gotta take a shit...... Just sayin....

That's a potential problem for those who only poop at home toilets.

They also seem to rarely get right to the next bout if one gets finished early. They use that time to show commercials or do the stupid talking head studio shit.

If an UFC event has 12 fights and all go the distance. 11 - 3 rd fights and 1 - 5 rd that is 3 hours and 10 minutes of fight time. Then add + 26 more minutes for the round breaks. Now we are at 3 hrs and 36 minutes. Now add the time it takes to get each fighter to get to the ring plus anouncing both fighters lets a lot 7 minutes for each fight we are already at 5 hours and no decisions have been announced and we've allowed no leeway for injuries delays.

The UFC is not making anyone do anything. If you show up for a FOX card, you should know it's going the distance. It's hard to have a perfect plan, due to the nature of the fight game, but it could be better. Maybe the quality of the filler will get better

All cards are really long if you stay for the whole thing. Golden Boy shows at Barclays sometimes don't have a start time until 9 or 10 but the undercard will start around 4:30.

I have been to a lot of UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, local, one elite XC and UFC's in arena presentation is usually the best. Better than any of the boxing cards here too because the fans in the arena can actually watch and listen to the pre fight videos and interviews.

All cards are really long if you stay for the whole thing. Golden Boy shows at Barclays sometimes don't have a start time until 9 or 10 but the undercard will start around 4:30.

Exactly because when promoters set up their fight schedule they have to plan the time as if every fight will go the distance. So they have to start the fights early enough to make that happen.

Eh never been a problem for me. Ive only seen the Montreal events and its always a good time, but then again it could be cause its MTL and its one of the best cities in North America. In another city it may suck for all I know.

I have been to every fight card in Montreal and they have been a great time every time. I have also been to Vegas for UFC 92 and Boston for FS1 and I always show up for the first prelim. Not always a full house but I pay for the fights and travel to them, its my mini vacation. I haven't even been to any shows in T.O. even though I live 45 mins to downtown. Most fans don't show up until the prelims have started and its not a full house until shortly before a main card. Montreal can be full for the whole time and at least 3 cards were like that. I don't see a problem. I do wish the beer was cheaper and there were more spots in the male washrooms! :D

i've been to a live event and a lot of fights went to decision, it didnt bothered me at all i had a blast

Back