UFC is in trouble and they know it.

Honestly this year has been 1 of the most exciting in recent years
The rise of Connor ans Ronda is incredible
Robbie Lawler killing brain cells
Jon Jones playing up (his return will be huge)
Diaz brothers fighting in Vegas
Connor Vs Aldo is huge
TJ putting in the work to be a star down the line
Weidman looking the shit and with possibly 1 of the greatest fights in MW history coming up

The UFC is killing it at the moment

i think the UFC needs to do a tournament. I see it as the best option for the fighters and the promotion. They can spread it out over network TV and PPV events. This will mix up the rankings, mix up the divisions, and allow some fighters to really test themselves. I was inspired after watching some old Pride events and i really think the tournament would do well to establish new rankings and make some interesting match ups and lead the way to possible super fights.

I would like to see a 3-4 tiered tournament. 125-135 145-155 170-185 and maybe do a 4th open weight/heavy weight tier.

I think the UFC is doing financially well. But sucking sponsorship money from the fighters is indeed short-sighted greed.

It's really lacking stars right now, not only stars but special talents, tell me exciting matchups that are on it's way, now compare it to 3 years ago and you see the diff. HW, LHW, BW and FW divisions are stagnated. It's much a question of feeling, I don't feel MMA is much exciting nowadays than to what it was 3-4 years ago. With the exception of Conor there's no one that can hype shit to the sky, he is the only one that still make my heart beat faster when watching MMA. Anyway, It's just a phase and I know this dark age will pass

Can't you see, at all, that this is all YOUR opinion and how YOU feel?

There is no dark age. You are just getting old and 'The old times were better' all over this thread.

It's over, dude. =/

Can't you see, at all, that this is all YOUR opinion and how YOU feel?

There is no dark age. You are just getting old and 'The old times were better' all over this thread.

It's over, dude. =/

I hate your attitude and the way you worded this post, but I am intelligent enough to understand and agree with the message.

I am from the, "old guard", and things are really happening as a result of the competition evening out and then having a super talent being introduced... It's the same with the females. It's part of the cycle.

Fedor and Anderson are good examples. Once the competition catches up you will see new competition make the others look weak. It's called evolution... I hope people are ready to just get used to it.

lack of stars?

Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate, Joanna J., JBJ, Werdum, Shogun (a waning star), the flying Diaz brothers, Weidman, Belfort, Robbie Freaking Lawler, Condit, little frankie edgards, condor mcgoatger

the only issue for long-time fans is that it used to be easy to know basically every fighter since there were like 40 guys. now that there is wmma and men's lady weight divisions and many more frequent events with an overly large roster it's hard to keep track of so many fighters, but i don't think the ufc is lacking for stars or that it is in trouble.

I hate your attitude and the way you worded this post, but I am intelligent enough to understand and agree with the message.

I am from the, "old guard", and things are really happening as a result of the competition evening out and then having a super talent being introduced... It's the same with the females. It's part of the cycle.

Fedor and Anderson are good examples. Once the competition catches up you will see new competition make the others look weak. It's called evolution... I hope people are ready to just get used to it.

Thanks for the sensible response, man. I appreciate it.

And yes, it is all part of the evolution.

Look, I was gutted to see Shogun go to hell, and more recently my favorite fighter (Machida) take that turn towards Retirement Road. He is still very good, a legend, but the new people are just too much.

People either need to adapt, and appreciate the sport for what it is, and the new fighters for who they are, or they can just accept they will lose interest in the sport when their favorites are gone.

I was once a HUGE fan of Rich Franklin, Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin... but they are gone. There is no 'dark age', and speaking in those terms the OP kind of alienated me. There is only a 'The fighters I liked are losing and I won't keep up with the sport' age.

It happens. It will happen to me too, eventually.

i think the UFC needs to do a tournament. I see it as the best option for the fighters and the promotion. They can spread it out over network TV and PPV events. This will mix up the rankings, mix up the divisions, and allow some fighters to really test themselves. I was inspired after watching some old Pride events and i really think the tournament would do well to establish new rankings and make some interesting match ups and lead the way to possible super fights.

I would like to see a 3-4 tiered tournament. 125-135 145-155 170-185 and maybe do a 4th open weight/heavy weight tier.

The problem with that is the roster would be depleted after the tournament with the exception of one or two stars

Shogun was booed in Brazil. That sums up the state of MMA. The higher weight classes are desperate for new talent.

Why would it be depleted?

I'm all for huge mega fights like Jon Jones V Silva, I always believe its better for the brand to throw these big fights every few years but look at the super six tournament that took place in boxing a few years ago. Several huge stars signed up and it only advanced Andrew Ward's career and devestated the remaining fighters ie Arthrur Abraham, Taylor, Kessler.

TS - i agree and couple the fact they have many many more events. This makes the product seem much more diluted. At the end of it, i'm sure the UFC will continue to grow and build stars - just hard to do so with limited "champ" positions.

Rhonda, connor, are just products of zuffa hype and both have been gifted the belt/opportunities. Rhonda is essentially at the infancy of wmma and simply comes across as having a very low level of professionalism as the front of wmma. It's hype and bs for the most part.

Connor is a manufactured product of the zuffa machine as well.

champions like gsp are few and far between but there was a reason why he was a consistent ppv draw. He was a champion, athlete and seen as highly professional.

Meeh, dillashaw, weidman, and werdum can be Hall of famers, jon iones was definetly hof material, lawler and cormier are mediocre champions IMO, so no I don't think we are in the dark ages.

OK? Well I will keep enjoying it until it is over? lol

NBA, MLB they all been "Dying" for a long time now yet they still around getting BILLION $ TV Deals. After UFC Fox Deal runs out I guarantee the next on will be BIGGER!

TS - i agree and couple the fact they have many many more events. This makes the product seem much more diluted. At the end of it, i'm sure the UFC will continue to grow and build stars - just hard to do so with limited "champ" positions.

Rhonda, connor, are just products of zuffa hype and both have been gifted the belt/opportunities. Rhonda is essentially at the infancy of wmma and simply comes across as having a very low level of professionalism as the front of wmma. It's hype and bs for the most part.

champions like gsp are few and far between but there was a reason why he was a consistent ppv draw. He was a champion, athlete and seen as highly professional.

Who are these Rhonda and Connor, can't find them in the UFC roster?

I agree, well said. Dana said you can never have to many events but I dont agree with that. I prefer quality over quantity but hey everyones different. As for the hype I agree as well. Alot of people dont want to admit it but it is true. Ronda for sure is a product of Zuffa. Connor is the same a little, except he worked his way to the top by talking ala chael sonnen.

Back