UFC is in trouble and they know it.

The UFC sold more PPVs in the first half of 2015 than they did in all of 2014.

Here's a graph of interest in the UFC over time. Notice the previous peak in mid 2009 for UFC 100 compared to right now.

vtlt8U5.png

You have no idea what you're talking about.

So, I take it you guys have no idea why those graphs are hilariously inaccurate?

Ha. False hype lol. Keep crying.

It's really lacking stars right now, not only stars but special talents, tell me exciting matchups that are on it's way, now compare it to 3 years ago and you see the diff. HW, LHW, BW and FW divisions are stagnated. It's much a question of feeling, I don't feel MMA is much exciting nowadays than to what it was 3-4 years ago. With the exception of Conor there's no one that can hype shit to the sky, he is the only one that still make my heart beat faster when watching MMA. Anyway, It's just a phase and I know this dark age will pass

The dark period was last year. Don't forget - the UFC doesn't decide who the stars are, the fans do. UFC, like all media and content companies, will track social media, web conversations and other data and they throw their weight behind those people who seem to have traction. The UFC could've spent millions upon millions to promote Jon Fitch, but the fans would still speak with their wallets.

Conor, Rousey, the rising star of Joanna, the likely return of Silva for a couple of fights, the possible return of GSP, Lawler, TJ Dillashaw, etc.

The doom mongering is cute and all, but the PPV numbers for the UFC have been VERY good this year. Not their best year ever, but much better than 2014.

Funny you name those two because Lawler and Dillashaw are usually described as under appreciated and under marketed.

*The reason for this post wasnt to discuss if they are doing good ppv numbers or how popular they are. If you read this post you would understand I am talking about their ability to produce stars, other than Connor and Ronda who I mentioned above.

Apparently your definition of a star just differs from most other people.

How could the UFC put on 40+ successful shows per year if they had no stars?

You're talking about super stars. Which yes....ronda and conor are.

But even Mighty Mouse is a star. He gets 2-3 million viewers on FOX.

It's really lacking stars right now, not only stars but special talents, tell me exciting matchups that are on it's way, now compare it to 3 years ago and you see the diff. HW, LHW, BW and FW divisions are stagnated. It's much a question of feeling, I don't feel MMA is much exciting nowadays than to what it was 3-4 years ago. With the exception of Conor there's no one that can hype shit to the sky, he is the only one that still make my heart beat faster when watching MMA. Anyway, It's just a phase and I know this dark age will pass

Weidman never defeated Silva - lol.

LOL these comments are hilarious. I never said UFC is dying or they arent making revenue and ppv numbers are down. All I said is that them hyping fighters like no tomorrow shows that they are desperate and need more stars. Connor has blown up recently and only god knows how long that will last and Ronda attracting casuals all around the world for sure with her movies and being a women. But other than that who else is there?

TS is right. Notice how the UFC is trying to stack their 200 show to milk it for all its worth so they can show how successful they are. In business that's known as "cooking the books". They know they are one movie deal or one loss away from losing Ronda Rowdy as a cash cow. Aldo is very likely going to kill their other big name and if not Conor Mc's becoming a handful of trouble for Zuffa himself.

I would always say the same thing that they were in trouble because no Stars, but Conor and Rondas growing popularity have turned it around, at least for now.

They just have to figure out how to get them into the cage 3+x a year. The mainstream is too fickle to pay attention for one fight a year or whatever

This would've held more weight last year. Everything (ratings, gates, attendance, PPVs) is up this year and comfortably so.

This is like an old football fan pining away for Dick Butkas, Vince Lombardi and Johnny Unitas - totally oblivious to the current NFL being the biggest thing in the history of everything.

Back in "The Day" there weren't really that many stars at a time, and there weren't many fighters. The whole sport has much more exposure. More people in the world know who Donald Cerrone or Uriah Faber are than knew who Tito Ortiz was in 2003.

2015 has arguably been the breakout year for the UFC. Wtf drugs are U on TS?

I think their biggest problem is that they haven't figured out how to sell themselves without stars. When they can turn everyone into generic worker ants and still bring in the numbers...only then will they have reached their goal for the sport.

I explained to you already that the peak on the extreme right is never accurate. In a few weeks when they have the full data it goes away.
3fer9sO.jpg

The actual peak will be below UFC 100 most likely.

Important information.

I think you're just so nostalgic about yesterday's stars that you're failing to appreciate today's.

I get where TS is going. The sideshow took over the center ring. Not even close to the best fighters, technically, but HEY! Two chicks beating the tar out of each other! And look how sexy they are outside of the ring!!! (The decision to bring in stylists for the female fighters should have been a dead giveaway) It's the equivalent of the NBA putting all its advertising dollars into the WNBA...what does it mean for the men's fight game?

Their 2015 PPV totals might be one of the best ever when the year is said and done.
Sadly it's not about a good product it's how much it's selling for.. TS is right in quality department the UFC is advertising and hyping more in one year now than they used to in 5. If they're is anyone here to say the 'product quality ' is better than they obviously are speaking to the right crowd now. I myself and many fans from the beginning are really finding this new direction hard to swallow. And I'm not just speaking about rousey and the pedestal they have placed her on. There's lots to laugh at these days and I'd pay to see a fight between a real commentator and former fighter like Bas smack some fucking sense into rogan for the epic bullshit he spews

Sadly it's not about a good product it's how much it's selling for.. TS is right in quality department the UFC is advertising and hyping more in one year now than they used to in 5. If they're is anyone here to say the 'product quality ' is better than they obviously are speaking to the right crowd now. I myself and many fans from the beginning are really finding this new direction hard to swallow. And I'm not just speaking about rousey and the pedestal they have placed her on. There's lots to laugh at these days and I'd pay to see a fight between a real commentator like Bas smack some fucking sense into rogan for the epic bullshit he spews

THANK YOU. Nice to see some of us out there who understand what really happening. Newer fans would obviously just berate and not even try to understand what I am trying to say. Man sherdog is filled with children or adults who lack in the critical thinking department.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back