UFC is in trouble and they know it.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MayankSharma13, Aug 3, 2015.

1. MayankSharma13

MayankSharma13 Orange Belt

I am sure every non recent fan here has noticed the lack of stars in mma today. IMO I believe we are in some dark times in mixed martial arts.

Since its inception there has always been popular fighters guiding the sport and attracting an audience without having a ridiculous amount of false hype set upon them. Most of you have probably noticed that the ufc has to market the hell out of there fighters and alot of times exaggerate to make there fighters look even better than they truly are.

There is a fine line between marketing and just straight up lying to hype stuff. Some examples are the propaganda set by dana and friends to make some fighters look legit and some the best in the world. Their propaganda minister Rogan often says things that I find hilarious and now everything he says is a joke for me. Him being in a position of commentating its his responsibility to acknowledge the newer fans and tell them the truth instead of hyperbolizing everyone and everything. Same with everyone else playing a part in all this unwarranted hype.

The point I am trying to get at is the UFC knows they are in trouble. They dont have the same amount of big stars and draws like mma used too have. This is why all this marketing that some of us find appalling is being used more than ever. There once was a time where fighters had to make a name for themselves by doing it in competition and did just fine back then. Also having Connor and Ronda as our biggest stars, two of the most hyped fighters of all time, it makes me think we really are in some dark times.

For example lets look at some of the top names since mma started. In the early years there was Royce, the Shamrocks, Bas,Coleman etc. Then in the Zuffa era there was Tito, Chuck, Hughes as well with the pride era with Saku, Fedor, Nog, Cro cop, wandy, hendo, shogun. Then there were the long time ufc champs GSP, Silva, Jones and all the stars from that time. And now think of the present. Who is there now. Not a lot of star power thats for sure.

Right now mma is still really entertaining and im enjoying every bit of it. I just feel there arent any big stars as there used to and I think the hype on fighters will just get worse and worse. I am sure injuries are playing a big part in the amount of stars mma has as well.

What do you all think. Are we in some dark times in mma? How would you compare this time to the other years of mma?

*The reason for this post wasnt to discuss if they are doing good ppv numbers or how popular they are. If you read this post you would understand I am talking about their ability to produce stars, other than Connor and Ronda who I mentioned above.

*Second edit

LOL these comments are hilarious. I never said UFC is dying or they arent making revenue and ppv numbers are down. Read the damn post and tell me I said that. I am saying this is dark times from a fans perspective not a business mans perspective if they are doing good or not doesnt matter in this case. All I said is that them hyping fighters like no tomorrow shows that they are desperate and need more stars. Connor has blown up recently and only god knows how long that will last and Ronda attracting casuals all around the world for sure with her movies and being a women. But other than that who else is there?

And for the stupid graph that stuffs inaccurate so stop bringing it up

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  2. Fight Professor

Fight Professor Gold Belt

Well, we have Conor and Joanna.

3. Toxxus

Toxxus The Ancient One

Conor, Rousey, the rising star of Joanna, the likely return of Silva for a couple of fights, the possible return of GSP, Lawler, TJ Dillashaw, etc.

The doom mongering is cute and all, but the PPV numbers for the UFC have been VERY good this year. Not their best year ever, but much better than 2014.

4. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

Their 2015 PPV totals might be one of the best ever when the year is said and done.

5. Towelie by TKO

Towelie by TKO The Continental Belt

Getting awarded a Plat account for posting nudes.
    The UFC sold more PPVs in the first half of 2015 than they did in all of 2014.

Here's a graph of interest in the UFC over time. Notice the previous peak in mid 2009 for UFC 100 compared to right now.

[​IMG]

You have no idea what you're talking about.

6. VinceArch

VinceArch Venom in the veins.

Fixed.

7. BreadnButter

BreadnButter Brown Belt

Conor is good for the sport.

8. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good

9. tehJameson

tehJameson Brown Belt

Nah. Jones is coming back, there's Ronda, Conor and the irish invasion and....

Okay there isn't the same amount of stars, but the sport and brand will live on and stars will be made.

edit: Proof above me

10. Aerose91

Aerose91 Brown Belt

I get a good laugh at these comments. The UFC has never turned so much profit, is in more countries than ever and has some of its biggest stars ever. Ronda was all over the homepage of CNN yesterday.

They should really just conceit now

11. mjmj

mjmj Black Belt

I feel dumber having even clicked on this. Glad I didn't read past the first paragraph, I suspect it just got worse.

12. Danespina

Danespina Gold Belt

UFC is in an excellent position right now.

13. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

[​IMG]

14. jimbob27

jimbob27 Ken Shamrock Belt

The UFC's business model has always been about the brand first and the fighter's second. The matchmaking is specifically setup to be as difficult as possible in order to prevent fighters becoming bigger than the sport.

All fighters like Conor and Ronda mean to them are new markets. Conor encourages the Irish, and more importantly Irish-Americans to become UFC viewers. Ronda encourages women.

They don't want the boom-and-bust economics that come with mega-stars. They want regular steady income, which is why they're moving away from PPV being their main earner and switching to TV deals and big-name sponsorship instead.

15. IloveTHIS

IloveTHIS Silver Belt

Conor is a powerhouse and when he beats Aldo, he will EXPLODE and be even more of a powerhouse

Ronda is the biggest star MMA has ever had, bigger than Brock. No one comes fucking close in terms of mainstream/social media hype/attention. She has unreal potential and is invaluable to the UFC. Ronda could end up being who takes the UFC completely mainstream for good.

Werdum is pretty big for both Brazil/Mexico

Jon Jones return fight will be pretty huge and make him an even bigger star than before.

Weidman is undefeated American and although kinda boring, still has more potential to get interest.

Dillashaw has hype potential.

MightyMouse is good for sponsors

RDA isnt a star I dont think, but LW is an exciting enough division it can afford a less than superstar champion. Just a matter of time before Khabib ragdolls him and sparks the Russian/Dagestanian interest.

Thats not to mention the 10+ other semi-stars/stars the UFC has. The UFC is completely fine, calm down.

16. UL

UL no more yellows

Awesome time to sell up, bye Zuffa after 200

17. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

Not to mention record gates in Vegas, the recent TJ/Barao fight doing almost 4 million viewers. This 190 PPV was trending to do a great buy and close to 189.

Yes, the UFC is dying haha. They went through a struggle in 2014 with so many injuries, GSP and Anderson their biggest draws left the sport. But now they made that up with new stars.

18. dmtpanic

dmtpanic Brown Belt

Just because the new generation of stars do not resonate with you that doesn't make them not stars.

You sound bitter.

19. Patof

Patof Brown Belt

You should have thought this through TS, the first page pretty much puts it clearly, 2015 has been a great PPV year, they are not dying.

That being said, the only trouble could come from fighters unionizing to oppose the Reebok crap.

20. chukutee

chukutee Genetic Freak

I explained to you already that the peak on the extreme right is never accurate. In a few weeks when they have the full data it goes away.
    [​IMG]

The actual peak will be below UFC 100 most likely.