UFC/Invicta relationship

Edmond Rousey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So...it starts as a distribution deal for Invicta's content on Fight Pass exclusively.

Good for Invicta - they will not have to worry about online PPV failures & having to return money to customers.

But where do you think this will lead to?

UFC eventually buying Invicta?

Possibly if the UFC's WMMA is one day deemed to be a failure (hypothetically speaking), might wee see UFC keep the Invicta brand and move the UFC 135 & 115 divisions back to Invicta?

Diskush!

Invicta-FC-5-Poster.jpg

It will get absorbed into the UFC as long as there are girls that they think can be stars.

Bad ass - now we can watch Cyborg beat the hell out of some women! Who knows, maybe they will begin to air other, smaller orgs too (not the mid sized like Bellator or WSOF of course). Would make FightPass an even sweeter deal by turning it into an MMA channel.

Is there an Invicta event coming up? It's been 6 months since the last one.

Is there an Invicta event coming up? It's been 6 months since the last one.

They've been stuck with some heavy litigation stuff since there was some embezzlement allegations with former members of the administrative staff (from what I understand). Lots of stuff was tied up.

Great to see their pushing forward. Honestly, I had no concerns given our 20th Anniversary this Saturday has the winner of a strawweight tournament getting a automatic Invicta contract.

Also, Roxanne Modafferi is itching for a fight after all her training she's been doing with Pyle, Chiesa, and the rest of the boys at Syndicate MMA.

I think the UFC is doing this so they can go either way depending on the success on women's mma like you said TS.

If the new division is a success, Rousey hangs around and doesn't ditch the UFC for movies, Carano comes back, and another few marketable stars come into the UFC, you could see Invicta's division just basically merge into the UFC cards.

However, if Rousey leaves and the women don't put on technical, exciting fights, all the while being mostly not marketable due to being unattractive, the UFC could cancel their WMMA divisions and send them to Invicta.

The first one is probably more likely but it might take a couple years.

They've been stuck with some heavy litigation stuff since there was some embezzlement allegations with former members of the administrative staff (from what I understand). Lots of stuff was tied up.

Great to see their pushing forward. Honestly, I had no concerns given our 20th Anniversary this Saturday has the winner of a strawweight tournament getting a automatic Invicta contract.

Also, Roxanne Modafferi is itching for a fight after all her training she's been doing with Pyle, Chiesa, and the rest of the boys at Syndicate MMA.

Thanks for the info, you work for an org?

I think the UFC is doing this so they can go either way depending on the success on women's mma like you said TS.

If the new division is a success, Rousey hangs around and doesn't ditch the UFC for movies, Carano comes back, and another few marketable stars come into the UFC, you could see Invicta's division just basically merge into the UFC cards.

However, if Rousey leaves and the women don't put on technical, exciting fights, all the while being mostly not marketable due to being unattractive, the UFC could cancel their WMMA divisions and send them to Invicta.

your list of "ifs" seems more likely to you? i can't say i agree.
the woman's division is a one weightclass pony with one fighter that has yet to be challenged. if cat zingano doesn't stop ronda the ufc has a big decision to make.

I concur.

giphy.gif

Thanks for the info, you work for an org?

Tuff-N-Uff. We handle nationwide high-level amateurs these days. We graduated Ronda Rousey (three of the four horsewomen, actually), Chris Holdsworth, Ryan Couture, Brad Imes, Tonya Evinger, and have had Jon Fitch, Frank Mir, Babalu all fight for us. Around 40 fighters that have been in the UFC, Strikeforce, Invicta have gone through us. Hundreds have or are within other showcases around the world.

Our card Saturday has a main card with 7 states represented and a combined record of something around 45-9. And as mentioned before, Jamie Moyle and Molly Wren-Holmes are fighting for an Invicta contract. I'm hoping we become a permanent pipeline for them, as it'd be great to give Amateur WMMA a mecca.

Tuff-N-Uff. We handle nationwide high-level amateurs these days. We graduated Ronda Rousey (three of the four horsewomen, actually), Chris Holdsworth, Ryan Couture, Brad Imes, Tonya Evinger, and have had Jon Fitch, Frank Mir, Babalu all fight for us. Around 40 fighters that have been in the UFC, Strikeforce, Invicta have gone through us. Hundreds have or are within other showcases around the world.

Our card Saturday has a main card with 7 states represented and a combined record of something around 45-9. And as mentioned before, Jamie Moyle and Molly Wren-Holmes are fighting for an Invicta contract. I'm hoping we become a permanent pipeline for them, as it'd be great to give Amateur WMMA a mecca.

Sounds pretty awesome, good to know.

makes sense since they want footage for promo on strawweight girls

I'm actually very pleased with this. Makes me paying $9.99 a month for fight pass seem even more worth it now.

It's a broadcasting deal. UFC has not bought Invicta they simply liscensed it much like Fox liscenses the UFC. Invicta may not be the only company UFC does this for as other promtions without TV deals look for a way for their product to be seen other than PPV.

True dat, BUT.... how long will it be before they raise the price!

I don't waste time worrying about trivial matters that may never happen. If they raise the price to a point where it no longer becomes worth it I'll cancel. Its a good deal at 9.99 so its not a good reason not to buy now just because they may possibly raise it in the future.

Back