UFC: Here is how you get my money....

ZiggyM

Rest In Peace
@Brown
Reaction score
So I hear 2014 has been a bad year for the UFC PPV buys...

Here is a solution for all of us:

16 fighter Grand Prix.

Do a tv show documentary about the fighters preparing for the Grand Prix - who gives a shit.

Include or exclude the champion in the given weight class - who gives a shit. Just give me something interesting; for the love of Joe Silva make a match-up with more thought depth than "Good Record Company Man A vs. Good Record Company Man B"

59.99 HD - Card 1: Round 1.

59.99 HD - Card 2: Round 2 + Filler.

69.99 or 79.99 HD - Card 3: Rounds 3 & Final Round with another title implication or great alternate match from the previous two cards.

Nothing this year has inspired me less than the matchmaking thus far into 2014. This has been a terrible year for creating buzz before the fight card. After the fights actually happened, they have been really good. This is the real tragedy. Getting someone to get excited enough to pitch in or half the PPV with you - has been horrible.

Give me a GP. Do any goddamn weight class, male or female. Take my money. (

Better solution:

Only charge $10 - $20 per PPV. Everyone will buy it. Even if they don't make as much money as before, the amount of viewers would grow exponentially, thus, expanding the market.

I personally think they would immediately make more money if they did this. And it would be better in the long run.

Better solution:

Only charge $10 - $20 per PPV. Everyone will buy it. Even if they don't make as much money as before, the amount of viewers would grow exponentially, thus, expanding the market.

I personally think they would immediately make more money if they did this. And it would be better in the long run.

If PPVs were 20 bucks I would buy every one. The way it is now I may buy 2 or 3 per year

Better solution:

Lol Sherdogger > Zuffa.

Truth is. The UFC doesn't pay there fighter's enough for real talent to step in and replace the older legends that are starting to fade.

I would never fight a world champion for any less then 2 million. Why would I want to potentially F**K my body for the rest of my life for a couple hundred grand before taxes. No thanks!

Perfect example - JON FITCH - 18 UFC fights, made less then 1.1 million over 4 years. DISGUSTING!

Better solution:

I would probably buy almost every PPV at that price instead of a few per year. We used to order almost every PPV but as the UFC started having more and more events they are so watered down now. I can't justify spending $50+ when there is only 1 or 2 fights that I want to see on the card.

Another thing I would be down for is $10-20 PPVs for smaller events with no title fights mixed in with regular price PPVs for title fights.

I also love the Grand Prix idea but never gonna happen... Don't understand why but the UFC hates tournaments. I guess they prefer being able to give title fights to whoever they want rather than to who earned it.

Truth is. The UFC doesn't pay there fighter's enough for real talent to step in and replace the older legends that are starting to fade.

I would never fight a world champion for any less then 2 million. Why would I want to potentially F**K my body for the rest of my life for a couple hundred grand before taxes. No thanks!

Perfect example - JON FITCH - 18 UFC fights, made less then 1.1 million over 4 years. DISGUSTING!

I never paid or would pay to watch Jon Fitch fight. It was a tactical move to let him go.

Better solution:

Zuffa has the best accountants/marketers available. If they would make more money from this, they would do it.

If PPVs were 20 bucks I would buy every one. The way it is now I may buy 2 or 3 per year

Hate to be that guy, but they are about $20 here.

Can't believe the cost in the US.

I wouldn't buy more than one a year at $55.

I would probably buy almost every PPV at that price instead of a few per year. We used to order almost every PPV but as the UFC started having more and more events they are so watered down now. I can't justify spending $50+ when there is only 1 or 2 fights that I want to see on the card.

Another thing I would be down for is $10-20 PPVs for smaller events with no title fights mixed in with regular price PPVs for title fights.

I also love the Grand Prix idea but never gonna happen... Don't understand why but the UFC hates tournaments. I guess they prefer being able to give title fights to whoever they want rather than to who earned it.

Tournaments clog up the division, plain and simple. If you have a 16 man tournament, you have to get 8 fights lined up close enough, without anyone getting injured, and then have all of the winners be healthy enough to fight in 3-4 months, and then repeat this 2 more times. If you don't include the champion in the tournament, he's waiting a year between fights, whereas his challenger has gotten banged up and beaten fighting 3-4 times, which isn't fair. And what happens if one of your finalists gets injured and can't fight for 6 months? Bring in an alternate who hasn't had to fight through the same tournament, or bring in a guy who lost along the way? And then you get guys bitching cuz "Fighter X hasn't earned his tournament spot!"

I'm down for a tournament ! Anything to change up the stale state of the UFC . If it slows down title fights I'm ok with that. Belts are nothing more than for marketing . Did we really need a belt to let us know GSP was the best at 170 or Anderson was the best at 185 all those years?

What would you do in your grand plan when there are injuries in the off weeks? Throw in a barista to fight in the semis of the gp?

Or stop airing free fights on tv with mid card guys as main eventers leaving the PPV cards with people the casual fans have never heard of.

Better solution:

and charge 50 bucks three or four times a year for a genuinely stacked card.

Exactly, I would buy every event as well and like you I only buy a few cards a year because of the stupid price, can't justify $60 for a few hours of sports that I can watch online for free.

Jesus Christ.

Can't you people understand why GPs are a bad idea?

BECAUSE EVERY OTHER FIGHTER ALWAYS GETS INJURED OR SOME OTHER SHIT HAPPENS.

Have a look at the last major tournament - the SF one. What a fucking mess that was.

Having a 4 man tournament can lead to fuck ups (McCall vs MM anyone?). 8 man is a guaranteed mess and 16 man is a good way to just murder yourself. Even Bellator doesn't do 16 man.

Jesus Christ.

Can't you people understand why GPs are a bad idea?

BECAUSE EVERY OTHER FIGHTER ALWAYS GETS INJURED OR SOME OTHER SHIT HAPPENS.

Have a look at the last major tournament - the SF one. What a fucking mess that was.

Having a 4 man tournament can lead to fuck ups (McCall vs MM anyone?). 8 man is a guaranteed mess and 16 man is a good way to just murder yourself. Even Bellator doesn't do 16 man.

Strikeforce as a whole was a mess.

This sport started with a one night tournament. Simply break that up over 3x cards. If someone is injured someone else gets a shot.

Its not rocket science, it's been done um .... I dunno the first 10 year history of this sport?

Zuffa has the best accountants/marketers available. If they would make more money from this, they would do it.

I'm a CPA working in public accounting. It would be difficult to estimate sales and growth rate if they switched to the lower priced cards. It would be a serious risk. Zuffa is making money right now, so they would probably rather just keep doing what they are doing ("if it aint broke, dont fix it" mentality).

While I do not have access to the all data that Zuffa possesses, I believe this could be the key to expanding their business to the next level. It really just comes down to how risk-averse the decision makers are. I feel that it would be worth the risk, but I'm not a shareholder.

Back