UFC: Grapplers not welcome

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BrainBar, May 21, 2014.

1. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

Just saw the new TUF, and all I can say, is Dana White is absolutely making it known that grapplers aren't welcome in UFC.

First: The red fighter DOMINATED the blue fighter. For 10 minutes of 2 rounds, he had the guys back for at least 8 minutes of them. Total domination. SOMEHOW they gave that a tie, and gave it a 3rd round. White says "Good for the judges". WHAT??? This fight wasn't even close. Red only scored "strikes" by throwing little light punches behind his own head onto the guy who was holding his back and attempting chokes for 80% of the fight.

Second: The only damage done by blue was from illegal elbows. Elbows red could have used...but didn't, because they are illegal.

Red fighter had the opponents back for probably 12 of 15 minutes, and was NEVER at any point in the fight in any danger of losing. Blue was dominated on the ground, nearly choked several times, and if there was no time limit, he probably never would have gotten up and would've eventually been choked or beaten because he was so clearly outclassed on the ground.

Afterward, White says "I hate guys who just lay on you and wrestle".

And there it is boys. UFC is now officially K-1....with some occasional grappling.

UFC just absolutely ROBBED a fighter of a win. Simply because he dominated on the ground.

UFC is now a striking sport, glorified kickboxing. I'm just about officially done forever with it.

2. cms9690

cms9690 Green Belt

Well, the UFC is a business and Submission Grappling doesn't appeal to the public as well as HAYMAKER, ELBOW, JUST BLEED.

3. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

Yep. They need drunk rednecks and teenage boys to want to watch it. And they'd rather see two roided up dudes throw haymakers and bleed everywhere than watch an Olympic wrestler fight a Jiu-jitsu world champion.

So....Im done with calling UFC the worlds best fighters. Its not anymore. Its the best group of strikers in the world....but even then, probably not, since pro boxers and kickboxers strike better.

Dana White and his crew keep easing grappling out of the UFC. Eventually, they'll just be great strikers....but not as good as pro boxers or kickboxers.

4. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

And its so sad. I loved what UFC started off as, and was for a long time. The realest fight sport in the world.

Now its not. You have to be a striker, or try to win by strikes, or Dana White doesn't like you that much. You don't sell enough tickets.

Baffles my mind how a guy can have an opponents back for 12 out of 15 minutes...never be in any serious danger...and lose by decision. UN-REAL.

5. raty tat tat

raty tat tat Purple Belt

I wouldn`t be surprised if they take ground fighting completely out one day
    most people aren`t interested in see two guys wrestle anyways I stopped
    watching UFC long-ago.

6. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

Im all but done with it.

UFC is no longer the "best fighters" hands down. Are they some of the best? Oh yeah.

But they've pushed it so striker-friendly, that NOW, its a strikers sport. So that said...are UFC's strikers any better at striking than the pro boxers or K1 or Muay Thai champions?? No, I don't think so.

So the best strikers, in general, are in the pro striking sports.
    And the best grapplers...are in Olympic wrestling and competitive jiujitsu.

UFC? Not sure what to call it now. Some of all the best. But they've warped the sport so much, that now its a beauty pageant.

7. HIMBOB

HIMBOB Steel Belt

I do recall a similar fight,

One guy had the others back for 90% of the two rounds, and was then told he lost both rounds.

Everyone on the show agreed that judges must have mixed the names up, thus far it is the only time I have seen a robbery in an MMA fight.

8. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

I know there have been a lot of controversial decisions, and the motto is don't let the judges decide it.

But this was just incredible how much the red fighter got dominated, and won a decision.

Its sad that you can put on a dominating, technically superior and overwhelming grappling clinic in the cage...and lose.

Yet, you can go out and play patty-cake with a guy landing light jabs and leg kicks, and dance around for 15 minutes...and they'll give you a win.

9. BionicCommando

BionicCommando Silver Belt

People need to make the distinction between grapplers and neutralizers. They most certainly don't mind grapplers who use their ground game to land strikes or submissions. They dislike neutralizers who nullify their opponent and do nothing of consequence whence they get the takedown.

Edit: Now in no way do I agree with the decision. That was nonsensical. I just think the idea that all grapplers aren't welcome is silly. It's not a grappling vs not grappling discussion for them, it's a finish vs not finish. They ARE in the business of promoting themselves and fights and unfortunately, that kind of showcase does nothing for them.

10. Bayonet

Bayonet Blue Belt

Yep. You can watch better grappling at the Judo Grand Prix, Abu Dhabi, or Wrestling championships. You can watch better striking tuning into Boxing and Muay Thai championships.

The only thing the UFC has going for it is that they combine the two, and now they're killing that.

11. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

You don't think it makes sense?

I don't think dominating someone with grappling is worth points unless it is paired with damage somehow, or you get a submission. Holding someone down, performing takedowns that deal little damage and threatening submissions come close, but no cigar. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

12. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

I remember one TUF FIGHT where one guy had the other guys back for 90% of the round, last seconds the guy being dominated started thoriwng sissy ass punches from behind his head, and he won...I was like, holy shit...

could you please name the fighters name involved in this fight you are talking about so I can watch it... thanks.

by the way, fucking gloves.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  13. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

No, it doesn't. Its no different than how they give points for a weak jab, or little 50% power strike to the thigh. Those don't do any damage either.

I've seen just as many fights with "strikers" who play patty cake for 15 minutes and dance around playing tag with jabs and little leg kicks.

If a guy is getting dominated on the ground that badly, it truly is just a matter of time before he is submitted. Its why time limits suck- they eliminate finding out who the true best fighter is.

14. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

Well, I agree with that.

15. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

It just came on TV, latest episode. The "winner" who got his ass handed to him the whole fight was Zapaira or something.

Its almost like having a guy locked in a triangle for 4:59 of a round, toying with him, maybe not even finishing him just out of spite, or, having a guy mounted for 4:59.......and then he throws a girl slap to your forehead and the refs say "OH HE THREW A STRIKE HE WINS!!!"

16. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

Yeah. Well, I'm in no way at all anti-striking. I LOVED Chuck Liddell and the Silvas and GSP, all the elite strikers. Lyota Machida was a favorite, his karate was incredible, and I love any good striking match.

I just want the grappling aspect treated equally. If its a true FIGHT, then style should play no part in it.

If a fighter throws 150 punches, and lands 145, and his opponent throws 20 and lands 2...BUT gets 1 single takedown at the end, then its obvious that striker dominated a fight, and should win hands down.

Same should hold true if a grappler takes down a strikers, and literally dominates him for the entire fight.

17. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

the UFC is so much biased towards strikers that it has gotten ridiculous...

I feel you and I hear you my friend...but the UFC is a business, and the vast mayority of fans have never ever been in a mat, so grappling for them is as attractive to them as samoan women are for us...

18. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

Yep, well said.

I cant honestly refer to UFC fighters as "The best fighters in the world" anymore. They're great, for sure. But its so bias towards strikers now. And....boxing, K1, Muay Thai has plenty of pure strikers who would out-strike many UFC fighters.

I want Pride back!!

And 1 round of 25 minutes!!! NO STANDUPS!!

If a guy is "Lay and Pray"....it isn't his job to let his opponent up; Its the opponents job to get up. If he cant...well, its why jiujitsu and wrestling took MMA by storm.

They are changing rules and judging to give strikers a way up...literally.

19. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

give fighters the option to wear gloves, see how the game changes again.

20. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

You'd see a lot more darce chokes, that's for sure. Guys are in vulnerable to those a lot in UFC, however, the gloves make it harder so it doesn't happen as much. The gloves actually make quite a few submissions harder to do. Not a huge factor, but a bit of one.

I would be fine with just:

- 1 round of 25 minutes
    - No standups

That would make it much closer to a real fight.