UFC FW Daniel Hooker in HW fight

INTERL0PER

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this video as most on here wouldn't have seen it.

It's a video of UFC featherweight Daniel Hooker fighting a heavyweight back in New Zealand. It's an MMA fight under so-called "Kiwi Pride Rules", which means PRIDE rules (soccer kicks, stomps etc) but with elbows included too.

Now, to be fair, Dan didn't weigh in as a featherweight for this fight, but there was still a huge size discrepancy. Dan weighed in at 86kg (189lbs), whereas his opponent, Marc Creedy, weighed in at 128kg (282lbs)... so essentially a 100lb difference!

Enjoy.

(Fight starts at 2:03)

Oh, and if you don't know him, Daniel Hooker is fighter Maximo Blanco on the Hunt v Nelson card and he debuted on the New Zealand card, doing this to Ian Entwistle...

Daniel+Hooker+Elbows+Ian+Entwistle+UFC+Fight+Night+Auckland.gif

I think he can do it.

His striking is surprisingly effective and accurate and his ground game is equally technical.

But Maxi is a pretty big jump in competition and I think he's probably a better athlete than Hooker, so he'll be dangerous early.

I'll be cheering for Hooker.

That fight was pretty entertaining lol. Why did the fat guy give up? It didn't look like the kick landed flush.

Wow, Nice find. I wonder why this isn't listed on fight finder.

Wow, Nice find. I wonder why this isn't listed on fight finder.

I think it's probably the case for a lot of fighters. They took part in a bunch of semi-pro bouts that aren't listed on their records.

Here's another that I can almost guarantee no one on here has seen.

Dan Hooker in a tag-team kickboxing exhibition match (so, a fight with shin pads and 16oz gloves) at a gym fundraiser. Hooker and his coach, Aaron Boyes (former pro fighter himself), against multiple time New Zealand HW kickboxing champ Antz Nansen and one of his sparring partners/coaches.

The start of the video is Aaron Boyes vs Antz Nansen (watch for Aaron to deliver a cheeky back hand to Antz's tag team partner before pushing them in to the crowd and trying to fight them both).

At 2:03 is the start of the second round and where Dan goes toe to toe with Antz, which is just absurd. They both tag out, but tag back in again before the end of the round, and go at each other even harder the second time. Hooker fights at featherweight, but has a chin good enough to trade with a strong, quick, technical HW kickboxer.

The whole fight is worth a watch. Even if just to see the Atomic Butt Drop in the third round :icon_chee

That fight was pretty entertaining lol. Why did the fat guy give up? It didn't look like the kick landed flush.

I think it landed flush enough to hurt, but I think it was more that he was so gassed that by that point he just said "Fuck it, enough's enough."

no offense hes not exactly fighting the cream of the crop but this is very good training!

always good when you mix it up with bigger bodies, if you can handle the bigger bodies you can handle the smaller ones.

I think it's probably the case for a lot of fighters. They took part in a bunch of semi-pro bouts that aren't listed on their records.

Dan Hooker in a tag-team kickboxing exhibition match (so, a fight with shin pads and 16oz gloves) at a gym fundraiser. Hooker and his coach, Aaron Boyes (former pro fighter himself), against multiple time New Zealand HW kickboxing champ Antz Nansen and one of his sparring partners/coaches.

The start of the video is Aaron Boyes vs Antz Nansen (watch for Aaron to deliver a cheeky back hand to Antz's tag team partner before pushing them in to the crowd and trying to fight them both).

At 2:03 is the start of the second round and where Dan goes toe to toe with Antz, which is just absurd. They both tag out, but tag back in again before the end of the round, and go at each other even harder the second time. Hooker fights at featherweight, but has a chin good enough to trade with a strong, quick, technical HW kickboxer.

The whole fight is worth a watch. Even if just to see the Atomic Butt Drop in the third round :icon_chee

Holy fuck! That was awesome! Those crazy bastards are going hard. It's great that they're throwing in cheap shots with a the sense of goofing around, but still beating the shit out of each other.

Love the blood soaked elbow at the end of the Entwistle fight. That's MMA, baby!

That was cool, but they were definitely pulling their punches. Like a strong-style Japanese pro-wrestling match. They're hitting hard enough to hurt, not to put you out though.

Holy fuck! That was awesome! Those crazy bastards are going hard. It's great that they're throwing in cheap shots with a the sense of goofing around, but still beating the shit out of each other.

Haha I was there live... you should have seen some of the other bouts.

Another tag-team kickboxing fight, but with teenage guys. At one point, the announcer just yelled "All in!" and it became a two on two, four man fight. Shit was insane.

Then there was a kickboxing fight, which turned in to an MMA fight, which turned in to a pro wrestling style fight when one of the guys grabbed a bucket and hit the other guy in the head with it!

Fighters were routinely drinking beer/bourbon between rounds.

Shit was bananas.

That was cool, but they were definitely pulling their punches. Like a strong-style Japanese pro-wrestling match. They're hitting hard enough to hurt, not to put you out though.

Yeah, they weren't KO punches... but still some pretty damn hard shots.

I wouldn't want to be in there.

i'm still butthurt by daniel hooker beating wu chengjie by cut in a fight i think wu could have won:

i'm still butthurt by daniel hooker beating wu chengjie by cut in a fight i think wu could have won:

Yeah, that was some bad luck.

I have a feeling if that fight was in the UFC it probably would've kept going.

It's not like Wu was beating Hooker and then got robbed or anything, but it was definitely a back and forth fight up till that point.

Yeah, that was some bad luck.

I have a feeling if that fight was in the UFC it probably would've kept going.

It's not like Wu was beating Hooker and then got robbed or anything, but it was definitely a back and forth fight up till that point.

yeah, i'm just a big fan of wu chengjie who was improving every fight and it was great to see him having success against hooker.

and yeah, i can't say the fight got stolen from wu as although he was landing nicely, hooker was on the front foot landing strikes of his own and didn't seem to be taking a lot of damage from wu's strikes. just a shame to see a fight that could have been huge for wu's career get stopped by a cut.

yeah, i'm just a big fan of wu chengjie who was improving every fight and it was great to see him having success against hooker.

and yeah, i can't say the fight got stolen from wu as although he was landing nicely, hooker was on the front foot landing strikes of his own and didn't seem to be taking a lot of damage from wu's strikes. just a shame to see a fight that could have been huge for wu's career get stopped by a cut.

Maybe you can take solace in the fact that for me, as a big fan of Hooker, it was great to see him get such a huge win for his career... even if it was via cut :icon_lol:

Back