1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Media UFC Free Fight: Kelvin Gastelum pulled off the greatest upset in TUF history beating Uriah Hall

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by giovanni002, Nov 17, 2020.

1. giovanni_ss Taeyeon Belt Staff Member Forum Moderator

Kelvin was 21 yrs. old at this time, the last pick, undersized as a MW and faced the guy who many believed the most dangerous guy in TUF history and future MW champion.

A real underdog story. Worth a rewatch.

TRUS8888, G10 and Freddy Fisticuffs like this.
  2. fortheo Titanium Belt

I feel like there was another underdog story in TUF that was pretty big. That guy who beat CB dolloway to win his season. I remember him being an underdog the whole time, but I might be remembering wrong

3. cade187 I'm not a part of your system.

Amir Soddolah? He had already beaten CB during the show. Their finals match up was a rematch after JT Money went on a drunken rampage shouting “I’M IN THE UFC” lol. Pretty sure Soddolah was the favourite in the rematch, especially after beating the brakes off of Matt Brown.

Do you count Serra beating GSP as a TUF fight? If so, that’s the biggest TUF upset.

Benoitthegr8 likes this.
  4. giovanni_ss Taeyeon Belt Staff Member Forum Moderator

Amir Sadollah aka mini Forrest? I remember him being the favorite to win in their season finale

5. HuskySamoan Black Belt

Yo, Hall got outclassed on the regional scene by Weidman and Philippou long before TUF. He knocked out some cans on a reality show and idiots thought hed be the next UFC champion just like Brandao. Hall as a 16-9 record, the dude would lose outside the UFC to plenty of guys, even when "hes on his game" he isn't world class, talented sure but many are.

Gastelum on the other hand....If he had the right discipline and diet would have been a WW world champion. I thought he beat Woodley in their fight which was a split decision if I remember correctly, he had a horrible weight cut and missed. If his fitness and diet were on point and he stayed the course he could have bested guys like Colby and Usman but he never had that discipline and lost the way. One of the biggest examples of wasted talent in Mma.

keepemup, The XL, TRUS8888 and 6 others like this.
  6. giovanni_ss Taeyeon Belt Staff Member Forum Moderator

I mean technically it's a TUF season but that season 4 with Serra, Lytle, etc. are group of guys who have competed at the highest stage already and have lots of experience. I pick Kelvin's win coz their group were guys who are just trying to make it to the UFC, and all the odds were against him during that season and he isn't even one of the most highlighted guys in that season.

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  7. BigTruck Red Belt

Didn't he lay and pray the whole fight? I don't really remember.

8. fortheo Titanium Belt

Weird. My memory is shit now a days. Not sure why I thought he was an underdog. Didn't he have like zero pro experience going into the house, then beat gerald harris, Matt brown, and dolloway?

If he wasn't the underdog, then damn, that was a hell of a run for the guy

G10 likes this.
  9. Hellowhosthat Steel Belt

IIRC Colton Smith was a decent sized underdog against Ricci too.

EDIT - And I think Escudero was against the next GSP Phillipe Nover.

Mohawk Banditó and BigTruck like this.
  10. Hellowhosthat Steel Belt

Yeah, it was kind of weird that he was able to beat those guys in his first pro fights but then never really improved that much afterwards.

11. BigGucciSosa Red Belt

Uriah was robbed {<shrug}

12. cade187 I'm not a part of your system.

Yeah he was 0-0 as a pro going into the show. He was definitely a huge underdog if you picked him at the start, but he was really impressive during the show. There’s a chance CB was favoured in the rematch, but Soddolah beat him pretty convincingly both times via armbar. He definitely would have been a huge underdog in their first fight.

fortheo likes this.
  13. giovanni_ss Taeyeon Belt Staff Member Forum Moderator

Both were undefeated, Efrain was like 10-0 and GSPhillipe was like 5-0, but I think Efrain has the better training partners and team that time and was the better fighter. Nover was just the more highlighted fighter in that show.

Zebra Cheeks likes this.
  14. BigTruck Red Belt

Just looked up Jesse Taylor and got a good chuckle that he finally fought his way back to the UFC and even won a "redemption" season of tuf and then popped for roids and was released after 1 fight. How self destructive can you be lol.

15. Derousey Yellow Card Yellow Card

Even tho Kelvin was picked last I knew his fat ass would win that season.

Mohawk Banditó likes this.
  16. cade187 I'm not a part of your system.

Lol yeah that guy had actual potential but he was ruined just by being a complete and utter meat head.

17. CerebralKnievel Gold Belt

LOL at anyone who looked at Kelvin as the underdog in that matchup.

A skilled wrestler and decent boxer who enployed very adept octagon pressure, versus a guy who finished some cans with spinning roundhouse kicks.

Mohawk Banditó likes this.
  18. EndlessCritic Steel Belt

I would say Nicco Montano had the crazier underdog run. And unlike Gastelum, she became a real UFC champion.

lol

19. Eric Silva 2.0 Brown Belt

I wouldn't call her a real UFC champion. She won a TUF tournament to become a champion of a weight class that just started. She refused to fight Valentina and hasn't shown she's a top level UFC fighter. She had a nice run on the show though.

julmma likes this.
  20. Eric Silva 2.0 Brown Belt

Also, she didn't get into the ring for almost 2 years after she won the show. Of course she lost and now hasn't been in the ring for almost a year and a half.