UFC Free Fight: Dos Santos vs Velasquez II

BlastoiseDad

Al-hamdullilah
@Brown
Reaction score
Pardon me if it's a repost:

[YT]pZgyYhSGSpU[/YT]

Couple of things:

Junior had great TDD when he was still fresh; Cain seemed to really telegraph his shots. But as he wore Junior down, he was able to get him. Junior looked terrible on the ground. Also the fight was very close to being stopped with about a minute left in the first. But with two HWs, I can't help but think that winning will come down to who lands first.

JDS looked great at the beginning, then Cain got his timing down and tagged him hard. I hope JDS come much more composed this upcoming weekend.

I was impressed with JDS early on, with how he defended the early takedowns and was quick to get back to his feet when Cain did take him down. That punch changed the whole fight really. Lets see how he does in the third fight. It'll also be intriguing to see if JDS has improved his ground game. JDS has the best chance early on again, if the fight goes past 2-3 rounds, I can see Cain getting an advantage and winning the fight.

What a great fight! I was rooting hard for Cain, but halfway through the first round I was sure he was going to get tagged with something the way he kept diving in from way outside. His approach seemed really desperate, and JDS was just missing with some of his counters. After he landed that big shot I relaxed, but coming into this fight I'm concerned JDS may be better prepared. That being said, war Cain!

Last edited:
Repost, but just one thing:

Before getting rocked by that overhand right in the first round, why the hell didn't Junior throw hammerfists to punish Cain's failed TD attempts?

Repost, but just one thing:

Before getting rocked by that overhand right in the first round, why the hell didn't Junior throw hammerfists to punish Cain's failed TD attempts?

I think he was trying to pace himself and not going all out in the first round. He alluded to something of that sort when he fought Mir.

I think he was trying to pace himself and not going all out in the first round. He alluded to something of that sort when he fought Mir.

I understand this, but I just think Junior let Cain get away with too many takedown attempts before getting rocked and being "Zombie Mode ON".
I mean, at some points, you can see that Cain was on his belly after failed takedowns.

I understand this, but I just think Junior let Cain get away with too many takedown attempts before getting rocked and being "Zombie Mode ON".
I mean, at some points, you can see that Cain was on his belly after failed takedowns.

I'm sure he didn't want to risk getting into a grappling exchange with the better grappler by following him to the ground, or waste energy by attempting to ground and pound. Who knows, hopefully he has a better gameplan this time around.

Jds threw 1 punch in the first 3 minutes. He needs to attack as ge circles away next time.

I'm sure he didn't want to risk getting into a grappling exchange with the better grappler by following him to the ground, or waste energy by attempting to ground and pound. Who knows, hopefully he has a better gameplan this time around.

Yes, hopefully his cardio is better too.

4 days to go...

cain-velasquez-victorious.jpg

history will repeat itself...

I'm always shocked when I see that JDS is still in his 20's.

The guy has looked 35 for his entire time in the UFC.

1. These two guys are obviously the two best HW's by far in the world right now, and IMO EASILY the best 2 in UFC history.
2. People hardly mention JDS's chin. That had to have been the most punishment dished out in an MMA fight without a KO.
3. JDS will actually still in the fight the whole way. It looked like he caught his 2nd wind in the final round and almost landed a couple home runs.
4. If JDS comes with some serious upped cardio (and neither guy gets an early KO) it should be an epic rubber match

The relentless pressure left no time for Junior to get his timing and range. Once he does that... it's artillery blasting you to hell and back. But Cain just pushed him non-stop. I think we are gonna see Cain come out and push him super hard all over again. If he lets Junior get comfy and confident it'll be a knockout. Their 2 fights are just polar opposite of each other. I'm really looking forward to the third.

Jds threw 1 punch in the first 3 minutes. He needs to attack as ge circles away next time.

he threw more then 1 but this. i dont know why ppl are saying "JDS looked great until the big punch".... he was literally backing up the entire fight and Cain was finding his range standing and outlanding him. Rogan even mentions how JDS' face is starting to swell and he is already wearing down BEFORE the big punch. Those factors lead to the big punch it wasnt out of nowhere. JDS was already slowing and moving backwards getting tagged, it was really a matter of time til something big landed on him.

As for the "why didnt JDS GnP Cain after the failed TDs" crowd..... umm... he didnt wanna get reversed and pounded on himself?? Cain has literally never been held down, Brock couldnt, what makes ppl think JDS could?? He would get into a grappling battle he cant win and waste alot of energy doing so. His only chance to win is standing bombs not trying GnP or BJJ. He will get tooled on the ground, top or bottom.

I love Cain, but those who have written off JDS are not paying attention. As at least one poster has already pointed out, one punch completely reversed the course of Cain-JDS II. I will not be surprised to watch these guys fight yet another rubber match long after Saturday's fight (Cain-JDS V.)

I love Cain, but those who have written off JDS are not paying attention. As at least one poster has already pointed out, one punch completely reversed the course of Cain-JDS II. I will not be surprised to watch these guys fight yet another rubber match long after Saturday's fight (Cain-JDS V.)

as i pointed out Cain was winning the fight, imposing his will, outlanding and tiring JDS out BEFORE the "one punch". That punch was a matter of time when JDS was moving backwards 90% of the fight with his hands low. The course was hardly "reversed" JDS had done nothing of note up to that point but eat a ton of jabs, some hooks, leg kicks, knees, get taken down, back up then back up some more answering with soft punches because JDS isnt a great striker off his back foot by any means or have that much power off it.

Last edited:
Back