UFC FN 221 PBP/Discussion

If you're bored af, the Power Slap finale is on right now and it's free: https://rumble.com/v2cj6hq-power-slap-1-the-finals-official.html

It's being held at the same venue as the UFC event we just watched.

The Tim Tszyu boxing match starts around 7:45pm PST.
A -137 fighter easily won this fight, and a +250 just won his fight. 2 more fights to go on the main card.

MGM in Las Vegas was offering betting lines for this event, and BestFightOdds shows the lines as well.

A -137 fighter easily won this fight, and a +250 just won his fight. 2 more fights to go on the main card.

MGM in Las Vegas was offering betting lines for this event, and BestFightOdds shows the lines as well.
The #1 guy just got dethroned. He was 3-0 going into this match against this same opponent.

Ron Bata +300 just beat Darius-Mata Varona -400.

I didn't get odds on Power Slap. If I did, I may have watched it haha

That was a poor performance from Yan. I know Merab is hard to deal with because he shoots so much but didnt do anything to make him pay off failed attempts and also lost the striking. Took more damage from Merab than all his previous opponents combined (minus Motales of course).
Props to Merab for the streak. He will never be one of my favorites but he deserves the title shot now for sure.

Despite my two strongest leans winning as sizeable dogs I still managed to lose about 10 units last night.

I was down going into the main and wanted to reduce my merab action so I opted for under 4.5 at +170 because all other prices were bad.

that ate into my merab profits. Had I not been down I would’ve added to merab

played some line prediction plays during openers. Haven’t really been doing that lately. Beat clv by a good bit all accept for pleasure man because money came in on Petrino late. Didn’t really like any of the guys I was betting on except said but even at -180 it wasn’t value

pleasure man and petrino are both super durable. No quit in either guy. I had added fdngtd and had rd props plays. Underestimated their grit

Romanov and Volkov was just a bad beat. Would’ve been better off on strictly the under here.

not arbing on dumas was a big mistake. I knew that line was way wide but hey I got it at -155 right? What could go wrong?

Spann is just mentally not there yet. Should’ve just played the under instead of props

clv is pretty meaningless betting on crap fighters unless you’re arbing.

not profiting when you have two strong +2-300 dogs cashing big is frustrating. You can have great reads and still make bad bets, an old habit that keeps resurfacing.

I played Dumas, said and Romanov strictly because of where I thought the line would move. Really should be on a book that let’s me cash out bets or I should’ve just arbed for profit

I thought I was some mad scientist betting Turk and Petrino rd props, Turk late Petrino early, even though I thought Petrino was the better fighter and pushed through his cardio problems. That was the most damaging fight for me.

Despite my two strongest leans winning as sizeable dogs I still managed to lose about 10 units last night.

I was down going into the main and wanted to reduce my merab action so I opted for under 4.5 at +170 because all other prices were bad.

that ate into my merab profits. Had I not been down I would’ve added to merab

played some line prediction plays during openers. Haven’t really been doing that lately. Beat clv by a good bit all accept for pleasure man because money came in on Petrino late. Didn’t really like any of the guys I was betting on except said but even at -180 it wasn’t value

pleasure man and petrino are both super durable. No quit in either guy. I had added fdngtd and had rd props plays. Underestimated their grit

Romanov and Volkov was just a bad beat. Would’ve been better off on strictly the under here.

not arbing on dumas was a big mistake. I knew that line was way wide but hey I got it at -155 right? What could go wrong?

Spann is just mentally not there yet. Should’ve just played the under instead of props

clv is pretty meaningless betting on crap fighters unless you’re arbing.

not profiting when you have two strong +2-300 dogs cashing big is frustrating. You can have great reads and still make bad bets, an old habit that keeps resurfacing.

I played Dumas, said and Romanov strictly because of where I thought the line would move. Really should be on a book that let’s me cash out bets or I should’ve just arbed for profit

I thought I was some mad scientist betting Turk and Petrino rd props, Turk late Petrino early, even though I thought Petrino was the better fighter and pushed through his cardio problems. That was the most damaging fight for me.

clv crap fighters or not can just be super misleading.
Whenever i got massive clv i take it as a bad sign. Closing lines can easily have a lot of value.

i had yday alerich -227, closed -400 and Yan -196
Massive clv on both and i even tweeted ore event that it likely meant id lose it all.and it was absolute domination the wrong way.

i think the MMA market is simply too niche so thats why we have so many odds going in the wrong direction.
I renember rixanne once was like +500 vs Barber yet she got all the way to +700 yet looked -400

People who has a lot of resepct, followers, big touts etc can also affect lines in the wrong direction.

arbing/buyingniut to improve odds seems to be the way to go

personalky im never betting against just because i know i can get clv.

clv crap fighters or not can just be super misleading.
Whenever i got massive clv i take it as a bad sign. Closing lines can easily have a lot of value.

i had yday alerich -227, closed -400 and Yan -196
Massive clv on both and i even tweeted ore event that it likely meant id lose it all.and it was absolute domination the wrong way.

i think the MMA market is simply too niche so thats why we have so many odds going in the wrong direction.
I renember rixanne once was like +500 vs Barber yet she got all the way to +700 yet looked -400

People who has a lot of resepct, followers, big touts etc can also affect lines in the wrong direction.

arbing/buyingniut to improve odds seems to be the way to go

personalky im never betting against just because i know i can get clv.

I should’ve been arbing honestly. Sometimes I do it because I can also switch sides to the other fighter and get an even better line than what’s available.

just a few observations. Beating line movement in mma is meaningless if You’re wrong. Sadisticss used to get nutty prices doing this

That was a poor performance from Yan. I know Merab is hard to deal with because he shoots so much but didnt do anything to make him pay off failed attempts and also lost the striking. Took more damage from Merab than all his previous opponents combined (minus Motales of course).
Props to Merab for the streak. He will never be one of my favorites but he deserves the title shot now for sure.

As crazy as it sounds, I think this is the fight where Merab went from being a guy who just has amazing cardio, to a nightmare matchup who has figured out how to truly weaponize that cardio. Especially in 5 rounders (which we'd assume he'll mostly be in going forward). The absolute constant pressure (alternating between grappling and striking) puts opponents in a bind and makes them choose. Either attempt to match his pace, knowing that they may be able to do it for a couple rounds, tops...or try to conserve some energy to hopefully retain power throughout and have a chance to hurt him at some point. Option 1 goes against every fighter's instinct, nobody wants to gas out inside 3 rounds and be a sitting duck. Option 2 gives rounds away and means taking more damage early (which can also speed up how quickly they get tired). There's no good choice. If someone can time a big strike and hurt him early, that's probably the most likely way it happens if he were to lose. Otherwise, his pressure will just drown everyone.

The title shot...yeah who knows? If Aljo beats Cejudo, maybe he moves up? The problem with that is I'm guessing he would not be super keen on trying to dethrone that animal named Volk. But I really don't know if they'll be able to convince Aljo and Merab to fight each other. If Cejudo wins, that solves their problem for them.

Back