UFC fighters wrestling abilities

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jrock89, Oct 27, 2010.

1. jrock89

jrock89 Orange Belt

How would UFC fighters that aren't wrestling based (ex . BJ, Aldo, Nate Diaz, Swick, Yves) do in wrestling matches at the top HS levels or collegiate level. I know they must train in wrestling to compete at the highest MMA levels, but I was just wondering what that level translates too. Would they just get thoroughly raped, would it be close or could they win.

2. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

It really depends, the type of wrestling used in mma is vastly different than folkstyle wrestling. They would almost certainly lose at the upper echilion of collegiate wrestling, and I would even venture to say they have a good possibility of losing at the upper levels of high school level. You have to think about the amount of time spent training that specific aspect of their game. In mma, once the fight hits the ground, it is a much more jiu-jitsu based game, so I definitely think they would have their hands full.

3. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Not well, because there are aspects of wrestling as a sport that those fighters would be completely unfamiliar with, especially the groundwork. Nate Diaz would do the worst.

4. jrock89

jrock89 Orange Belt

Damn lol. Was hoping to hear that they'd do well at the higher HS level and decent/below average at collegiate levels.

Taking BJ down would be a handful though.

5. cenix

cenix Orange Belt

wrestling match abiding by wrestling sport rules? they'd probably all lose because they'd all go to their backs if taken down.

6. lparnes

lparnes White Belt

depends on the fighter but probally not because they are used to falling on the back in wrestling you fall to your stomach

7. 2x2x2x

2x2x2x Black Belt

None of the guys you mentioned would do anything in college. Depends on the high school level, if we are talking about the top ranked wrestlers who are wrestling in freestyle nationals , and winning multiple state titles in the tougher states ie penn, new jersey, ohio, cali etc they would also beat up on the fighters.

8. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

Aldo/BJ could perhaps do something based on athleticism alone

BJ takedown D used to be insane

9. Kozbot

Kozbot Purple Belt

they would beat 99% of HS wrestlers, college I would say they could hang DIII

10. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

I actually tend to agree with this. I would not say 99% I would say closer to 60-70%.

You have to remember these guys train to fight for a LIVING! How many HS kids do you think train that hard? Very few.

Certainly they would have a technical disadvantage on the mat for turning guys or getting escapes/reversals but as far as takedowns they would be able to handle most HS kids from most states. Where they would run into trouble is the state tournament where there are indeed some very well conditioned kids who would also have a technical advantage on the mat.

11. D4rthKitty

D4rthKitty Black Belt

I do not think you ever wrestled in high school. I did both football, which i sucked at, and wrestling, which I was pretty good at, the most grueling football workouts were a fun dream compared to the wrestling team training.

High school wrestling is tough, we would have to run five miles ever other day as a warm up. Throwing up was common for the first two weeks of getting back into shape. Some of the top fighters might be able to, GSP for one, but most would get worked even on high school level

They would get eaten alive once one or the other got a takedown

12. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

I'm not sure where you guys are from, but the wrestlers here in ohio would whip guys like the diaz's. The 171's on average are roughly 5'6-5'8 and cut from 180-185 every week. We take wrestling very seriously, and even at sectionals (the first round in a sense of the state wide tourney) you really don't see kids gassing. And then it just gets harder from there. So at least here, my guess is that depending on the fighter, they would barely be middle of the road.

13. jacketwrestler1

jacketwrestler1 Blue Belt

Damn and I thought I was a big 189 at 5'11 cutting from 200.

14. akgroundnpound**

akgroundnpound** White Belt

this

ive wrestled since i was ten, and after training mma for just a year, would have the urge to retain my guard in a wrestling match. its really hard to switch from an mma/bjj ground mindset to a wrestling mindset. especially because the belly-down in wrestling to not get pinned is a HORRIBLE thing to do in mma/bjj