UFC fighters using Airdyne/Airbikes for cardio?

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just curious, please no hate resposnes

Do most UFC fighters use Airdynes for cardio?

One of the reason I ask is that I feel the airdyne will also put on muscle sometimes, therefore not losing as much weight as running

During embedded I always see AKA and Jacksons fighters using them

I normally see Ronda using an elliptical, not trying to fighter base WMMA but I doubt a lot of male fighters use ellipticals.

Ive seen JDS using a treamill and I know McGregor likes to run outside, doesnt really beleive in machines

I have a feeling most of the Alpha Male guys get cardio during their training sessions

Dan Hendos always using a versa climber, probably the toughest piece of equipment out there.

Last edited:
Cardio....

pMuaOJr.gif

I know Randy Couture used to talk about how awesome they were, used them religiously and had his students use them

It's the only thing I use for cardio now. Easy on my joints and can be gotten for cheap on Amazon. I get a brutal workout on that thing four days a week doing HIIT.

Steeve maxwell has his guys (think pat cummins etc) use it. Reckons it's super low impact on joints. I like it, good for tabata sprints.

I wouldn't worry about it putting on muscle. It's still a cardio machine on the level of the treadmill, stationary bike or ergometer.

It allows the use of both upper and lower body muscle groups as well as both pushing and pulling upper body movements (as opposed to the treadmill and stationary bike which is pure lower body, or the erg, which uses the lower body and the upper body pulling muscles but no pushing).

I'm sure it saves on their knees using the machines, as opposed to doing road work. Curious what the trade off is...

Sean Sherk and Matt Hughes used them. I'm sure many do.

Versa climbers are hell on earth. Figures old man hendo uses one.

Hendo had mentioned that despite being tough it puts very little impact on his back, so its one of the only cardio things he can use.

I'll always remember Airdynes figuring prominently on TUF II with Highes talking up Whitehead never passing out on the Airdyne. Then he gave up mentally against Rashad. Egg all over Matt's face.

I'll always remember Airdynes figuring prominently on TUF II with Highes talking up Whitehead never passing out on the Airdyne. Then he gave up mentally against Rashad. Egg all over Matt's face.

Oh ya, I remember Whitehead saying cardio is all mental, which is why he had great cardio despite his lack of physique

I also remember someone from TUF 5 didn't want to train and was just using the Airdyne, purportedly due to a lingering injury, and Jens being pretty dismissive of him.

is the airdyne a style or a brand name?

Are there budget versions?
Thanks

Who knows? It might just be a flavor of the month piece of gym equipment.

I've tried them at the gym and I hated them. However people who say it's easier on your knees/joints has some validity to them. Roadwork and treadmilling can be stressful on your knees and joints. And if you have a prior injury it can inflame it.

I run an average of 40-50 miles per week on a Treadmill or Roadwork and there are days where I get runners knee and I have to resort to in door biking to give my knees some rest.

Also I am pretty sure Conor does not run anymore cause of his knees. He's seen on camera doing rows for cardio these days.

Back