UFC fighters react to Chael Sonnen vs Vitor Belfort at UFC 175

That fight was at 205. A guy fighting for the belt at 185 should not be penalized for anything that happened at a higher weight class, even if what happened was puke inducing.

All your fights count and considering that the Vitor fight is at 205 you are doing some serious mental gymnastics.

Two top 10 wins for Jacare. That's pretty much how Chael got the second shot at Anderson (Stann, Bisping). Vitor vs Jacare would have been the true #1 fight, but Jacare is injured anyway.

Yeah Jacare is pretty close in the running, but all I've been saying is that Chael getting the fight isn't that big of a deal. First of all, he'll have to beat Vitor which is easier said than done, and then at the end of the year, there's no one else really free to face the winner of Weidman/Machida.

Exactly

I'm not one to just blame shit on people being jealous but I think this time it's the only explanation. Chael has made his own luck by always being willing to fight anyone on short notice and by putting asses in seats. And this time he had nothing to do with it and loses a grudge match for a way more dangerous fighter. That deserves nothing but respect. Maybe if other fighters had his charisma and approach to fighting they would get the same breaks. People will point to the money he will make but then why do so many other fighters turn down tough fights and especially on short notice? If the guy is willing to get in there then he should be able to reap the rewards for doing so

Very well said, buddy, esp. the part about money.

Yeah bro, cause he's got more wins in his last 4 fights, right?

You said it yourself, numbers are not all. Quantity of wins in your streak is not more relevant than who you have beat.

Vitor stepped in to fight Chael, and Vitor is currently the #1 contender in the UFC ranks under the champ. If Chael beats the #1 contender he has a better case than anyone, except Jacare, who is injured. Munoz lost to Machida and Weidman and has wins over Boesctch in his last three, and he is fighting Mousasi who is ranked at the bottom of the top 10 at present.

I don't understand how people think this would be a 'free' title shot.

Chael would be DEFEATING the #1 contender guys, and the #2 contender (Jacare) is injured. That would surely put him over Rockhold or Munoz in the ranks.

And Vitor stepped in to fight Chael, not the other way around. This is all because Wanderlei flopped. The UFC spent a LOT of resources and made lots promoting the Wanderlei vs. Chael fight, and now they have to put something that can potentially fill that bill. Vitor was the answer.

It's tremendously ironic that considering how much Wanderlei hates Sonnen, he just basically did him a huge favor, a far greater good than losing to him. He made him a potential contender for the title.

Last edited:
I don't know what Chael has on the Fertittas and/or Dana, but I'm over him talking his way into title fights.

And bollocks to a fight at 205 being for the next middle weight title shot.

Back