UFC fighters react to Chael Sonnen vs Vitor Belfort at UFC 175

Munoz should not be allowed to do interviews.
Why?

Just because the two guys fighting in the title fight both knocked him out and he can't understand why he isn't the number one contender?

That's a pretty good day in the media by Dana White standards! But yeah, don't think Mark thought that through!

Munoz: 2-2 in his last 4 fights
Sonnen: 1-3 in his last 4 fights

Going off record is just silly.

Over that span of four fights, Munoz has fought Leben and Boetsch.

The two worst guys Sonnen has faced are Rua (former World Champion) and Evans (former World Champion).

Rafael Natal has a better record over his last four fights than Chael Sonnen. So, by your logic Natal is more worthy of a title shot than Sonnen. LOL.

Furthermore, who cares about past fights? You beat the #1 contender...well, that makes YOU the new #1 contender.

Dan Hardy summed it up perfectly imo. Chael is now a caricature of himself.

Pretty asinine to claim that the #9 LHW on Planet Earth (#3 MW on Planet Earth before he moved up to LHW a year ago) has become a caricature of himself.

Chael Sonnen (alongside Urijah Faber) has been as dominant as any non-World Champion over the last 5 years.

To be fair I'd be just as butthurt
Yep

He wanted to fight Vitor to avenge his loss and get a title shot. Now he knows Vitor most likely has his next two fights booked. And if Vitor doesn't beat the winner of Weidman/Machida then who knows how it all shakes out. He may never get his rematch. And this guaranteed probably at least another one or two more fights extra for him to get a title shot as Vitor was probably the only guy left with Machida and Weidman fighting and Silva out that he could have beat and gone right to the tithe shot. Vitor is probably laughing his ass off. It really was a brilliant move. I don't like Vitor much but the guy knows how to play an angle when he sees one

that response would make sense if he were complaining about Vitor being in a title eliminator (which no reasonable person would) but Chael just got utterly humiliated by Rashad.

That fight was at 205. A guy fighting for the belt at 185 should not be penalized for anything that happened at a higher weight class, even if what happened was puke inducing.

Chael gets shots because he is man enough to step up and fight anyone anywhere on any amount of notice. Dana has always rewarded that.

Yes, he has lost 3 of his last four, but they were against two GOAT champions in their division and the #1 contender in the division above his natural weight. Not exactly the cakewalk path to take. If he beats Vitor, who has been a murderer and is the current #1 contender, he deserves it.

Thissir.

Yeah, but let's be honest. Chael has almost no chance of winning.

I completely disagree. As matter of fact, I'd say odds are better than not that Chael wins.

You really think Vitor is gonna knock out Chael from his back?

Pretty asinine to claim that the #9 LHW on Planet Earth (#3 MW on Planet Earth before he moved up to LHW a year ago) has become a caricature of himself.

Chael Sonnen (alongside Urijah Faber) has been as dominant as any non-World Champion over the last 5 years.
I normally like Hardy but what a dumbass comment. Chael thought he was finally getting his grudge match against Wand. They tell him instead he is going against the number one contender who has brutally knocked out his last three opponents and he says "no problem"

He knows he probably has little chance of winning that fight. Way less than the Wand fight which was probably the reverse odds. And it isn't even a title fight. He is essentially letting a much better fighter step in and potentially kick his ass for an easier road to the title but he doesn't turn it down. And he is getting ripped on? Wtf?

Is that guy Luke Barnatt a potential top 10 fighter? It looks like he is undefeated and is a 6'6 middleweight.

Potentially? Yes, IMO.

Barnatt's a beast. Had a filthy flying knee KO on TUF. He actually got finished by Dylan "The Villain" Andrews on TUF but fights on TUF don't count for/against your record.

I normally like Hardy but what a dumbass comment. Chael thought he was finally getting his grudge match against Wand. They tell him instead he is going against the number one contender who has brutally knocked out his last three opponents and he says "no problem"

He knows he probably has little chance of winning that fight. Way less than the Wand fight which was probably the reverse odds. And it isn't even a title fight. He is essentially letting a much better fighter step in and potentially kick his ass for an easier road to the title but he doesn't turn it down. And he is getting ripped on? Wtf?

A man has the courage to fight the #1 contender who is putting homies in body bags seemingly as often as girls have their period...

And that makes him a caricature of himself?

Logic...

Not even once.

Everyone seems so quick to shit on Mark while completely ignoring that his losses were against Machida and Weidman. I normally wouldn't care but there's a whole lot of, "Chael only loses to the best!", in this thread.

A man has the courage to fight the #1 contender who is putting homies in body bags seemingly as often as girls have their period...

And that makes him a caricature of himself?

Logic...

Not even once.
Exactly

I'm not one to just blame shit on people being jealous but I think this time it's the only explanation. Chael has made his own luck by always being willing to fight anyone on short notice and by putting asses in seats. And this time he had nothing to do with it and loses a grudge match for a way more dangerous fighter. That deserves nothing but respect. Maybe if other fighters had his charisma and approach to fighting they would get the same breaks. People will point to the money he will make but then why do so many other fighters turn down tough fights and especially on short notice? If the guy is willing to get in there then he should be able to reap the rewards for doing so

Everyone seems so quick to shit on Mark while completely ignoring that his losses were against Machida and Weidman. I normally wouldn't care but there's a whole lot of, "Chael only loses to the best!", in this thread.
I think the point is Mark is complaining getting knocked out by two of the best while beating two middle of the pack fighters should earn you a title shot.

His complaint I guess should be how can I get a match against Wand where the 4th time he pulls out Vitor agrees to fight me as an injury replacement after having to pull out of his last fight probably due to a dirty piss test

They are basically mad Chael was the "beneficiary" of fighting Vitor even though he had nothing to do with it and also don't seem to understand this isn't a title shot. They are coming off like the ugly girl jealous of her better looking friend. Its not Chael's fault his opponent was dirty so Vitor picked him to fight. Chael didn't scam the system. Things just broke right for him. Providing Vitor doesn't kill him before he can get a TD

Munoz: 2-2 in his last 4 fights
Sonnen: 1-3 in his last 4 fights

Munoz:

L - Machida
W - Boetsch
L - Weidman
W - Leben

Sonnen:

L - Evans
W - Shogun
L - Jones
L - Silva

Four UFC champions, including a convincing W over one of the best at LHW.

Damn, Rockhold looks heartbroken.

Duffman would give the guy a hug, but two anacondas should not be in the same building. Oh YEAH.

Back