UFC Fighters are Becoming too Dependent on "12 Week Camps".

If you're not going to train to understand the perspective there, at least pay attention to the difference in quality that fighters bring with short training camps.

A usual aggressive Mendes, who chased Aldo into a 5 round war, stands near the cage with his hands down and gets puffed in the first. Some guy training for 2 months vs someone training for 3 weeks is going to see a big difference in cardio come fight night.

^^ it not just cardio that got chad, its also his conditioning. When you are fight training you have body condition sessions where you get hit to the body and legs to toughen up for the fight. Granted he was only a few months out from his last fight so he wouldn't have gone completely soft, but this is how I saw the fight- he kept getting hit with body shots and showed connor it was hurting him (low conditioning) and his cardio fell down as a result of multiple body shots and pressure. Also the weight cut was prob quite hard for him and may have been a factor in his low stamina.

Claudia Gadelha will be physically fine for early January against JJ.

However, due to the need for a 12 week fight "camp" she may not be ready for Joanna in January.

But it's not just Claudia I'm talking about here. I'm talking about the whole UFC's culture of fight camps.

Including the Chad Mendez excuse makers saying that 3 weeks wasn't enough to achieve cardio.

I say bullshit.

If Olympic level athletes can compete in back to back international competitions quicker than that, without any loss of cardio, then MMA athletes can do it.

MMA fight camps are quickly spiraling out of control.

Years ago... UFC fighters used to fight multiple times, against multiple people, on the same night.

But then they began using 4-6 week camps for each opponent.

Then they began using 6-8 week camps.

Then 8-10 week camps.

Now they need 12 week camps or they can't fight.

After another few years, they'll need 6 month camps for each opponent.

MMA is quickly spiraling into Pussies-R-US, Inc.

It has nothing to do with healing from injuries (since those heal quickly). It has to do with "cardio" which supposedly can't be attained unless you go thru a fucken 12 week camp.

Olympic athletes (boxers, wrestlers, judo players, swimmers, etc) do not need a 12 week 'camp' just to get ready for every single opponent or race they enter.

Olympic boxers, wrestlers, Judo players and swimmers have to compete multiple times -- against multiple people -- during the same competition. Often within days or hours of their last race or fight. Yet they do it anyway without complaining about CARDIO.

Sometimes they must also compete several weeks later (or the very next month) in back to back international competitions, yet they still have the cardio to compete at the highest level (without 12 week camps).

Oh, and MMA athletes face less steep competitors than Olympians do.

So why do MMA fighters need a 12 week camp just for cardio?

They don't. It's just a bullshit excuse that is costing the UFC millions of dollars in lost/unmade main events that could be happening more often.

Discuss.

Mendes didn't have a 3 week camp. He accepted the fight on less then 2 weeks notice with about 9 days of media.

For a troll thread it's a long a op. An op I didn't read but effort none the less. C+

Claudia Gadelha will be physically fine for early January against JJ.

However, due to the need for a 12 week fight "camp" she may not be ready for Joanna in January.

But it's not just Claudia I'm talking about here. I'm talking about the whole UFC's culture of fight camps.

Including the Chad Mendez excuse makers saying that 3 weeks wasn't enough to achieve cardio.

I say bullshit.

If Olympic level athletes can compete in back to back international competitions quicker than that, without any loss of cardio, then MMA athletes can do it.

MMA fight camps are quickly spiraling out of control.

Years ago... UFC fighters used to fight multiple times, against multiple people, on the same night.

But then they began using 4-6 week camps for each opponent.

Then they began using 6-8 week camps.

Then 8-10 week camps.

Now they need 12 week camps or they can't fight.

After another few years, they'll need 6 month camps for each opponent.

MMA is quickly spiraling into Pussies-R-US, Inc.

It has nothing to do with healing from injuries (since those heal quickly). It has to do with "cardio" which supposedly can't be attained unless you go thru a fucken 12 week camp.

Olympic athletes (boxers, wrestlers, judo players, swimmers, etc) do not need a 12 week 'camp' just to get ready for every single opponent or race they enter.

Olympic boxers, wrestlers, Judo players and swimmers have to compete multiple times -- against multiple people -- during the same competition. Often within days or hours of their last race or fight. Yet they do it anyway without complaining about CARDIO.

Sometimes they must also compete several weeks later (or the very next month) in back to back international competitions, yet they still have the cardio to compete at the highest level (without 12 week camps).

Oh, and MMA athletes face less steep competitors than Olympians do.

So why do MMA fighters need a 12 week camp just for cardio?

They don't. It's just a bullshit excuse that is costing the UFC millions of dollars in lost/unmade main events that could be happening more often.

Discuss.

Olympic athletes outside of maybe wrestling and judo don't cut weight like MMA fighters do. And even the wrestlers don't cut as much weight as MMA fighters do, because they have same day and next day weigh ins. It's not comparable. To be able to safely cut 20-30 pounds in a healthy way, while still eating a lot of protein and being able to have energy to train, you need a good period of time to do that. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it is the truth.

You aren't the one who has to go and risk your life inside and outside the cage to entertain people. They do. They don't just risk their lives, but also their careers. The UFC contract says they can cut you off of one loss, without cause. Not to mention, guys like Chad go and jump at opportunities and fuck themselves with a bad cut and a bad performance. How soon you think he will get a rematch with Conor? Probably never. It's easy to say someone should just stay in shape. But the truth is, very few people can sustain that kind of schedule. If he was injured from over training you would bitch then too.

So since you will bitch no matter what, might as well do what is best for them.

an overlooked problem is that its a lot harder to stay healthy for a 12 week camp than a 4-6 week camp. and guys wont fight through because they will need to rest and start the 12 weeks over again...

Guys are fucking lazy and they need 12 week camps because they get fat between fights. A lot of these fucks hate working out and eating healthy; they're only in this for the fortune and fame.

It shouldn't be surprising that so many of them have this shortsighted approach to training. Anyone who engages in this sport has an usual relationship with their own future.

Mendes is a bad example because he really did have a short-ass camp for a highly unorthodox opponent, and he does stay in shape all the time.

Agree with TS. This is hurting the sport.

Gadelha has thicker arms than a typical male with six-pack abs that protrude like a bodybuilder's.

By the way, a typical steroid cycle lasts 12 weeks. Source.

Why the fuck can't you type in paragraphs? If you ever typed in microsoft word you'd probably brutalize the bullet point button.

Agree with TS. This is hurting the sport.

Gadelha has thicker arms than a typical male with six-pack abs that protrude like a bodybuilder's.

By the way, a typical steroid cycle lasts 12 weeks. Source.

Claudia-Gadelha-UFC.jpg

115Lbs Female....
There is nothing like the Brazilian vegetables, prepared by chefs from Nova Uni

Guys are fucking lazy and they need 12 week camps because they get fat between fights. A lot of these fucks hate working out and eating healthy; they're only in this for the fortune and fame.

It shouldn't be surprising that so many of them have this shortsighted approach to training. Anyone who engages in this sport has an usual relationship with their own future.

Mendes is a bad example because he really did have a short-ass camp for a highly unorthodox opponent, and he does stay in shape all the time.

Most guys are professional and no contender would ever get fat. These are dedicated athletes.

johny-hendricks-looking-fat-with-sandwich.jpg

112414-UFC-welterweight-champion-Johnny-Hendricks-SS-PI.jpg

travisbrowne_johnyhendricks_ufc_twitter.jpg

The guys that are dedicated for 365 days a year don't need a 12 week camp. Guys that make this sport their job don't blow up, and those are the guys that can handle 6 to 8 week camps for big fights.

Most of these "fighters" are just athletes who happen to choose fighting as their sport.
Long ass camps & 50 million sparring sessions is the reason injuries & drug use is rampant in MMA.

Donald Cerrone.

If fighters stayed in shape and wanted to fight more they could, they just don't.

I came to say this and it was already the first post. Faith in sherdog has been restored (or atleast 1/10th of it.)

But yeah, olympic athletes usually train much longer prior to olympics than MMA fighter for a single fight, so its not a miracle how they can be in shape while they are competing in olympics. And people that enter olympics usually know it 12months ahead when they are competing and where.

But MMA fighters could fight more easily if they wanted. Thats why i agree that 12weeks camp is hindering them, but then again i dont think everyone is so disclipined and focused on fighting that they are training everyday. TBH i think most of them just get fat after fight, then do a camp and go fight again. Chad Mendes was in pretty good shape for a weeks notice to fight, considering that somebody else could have easily came in looking like Butterbean.

I say bullshit.

Well, I don't. And neither do the fighters. So this thread is ill-informed and aimless. Do better next time.

I can't believe the amount of people who are taking this guy serious. I stopped reading at MMA fighters are pussies.

Most guys are professional and no contender would ever get fat. These are dedicated athletes.

johny-hendricks-looking-fat-with-sandwich.jpg

112414-UFC-welterweight-champion-Johnny-Hendricks-SS-PI.jpg

travisbrowne_johnyhendricks_ufc_twitter.jpg

The guys that are dedicated for 365 days a year don't need a 12 week camp. Guys that make this sport their job don't blow up, and those are the guys that can handle 6 to 8 week camps for big fights.

Hendricks doesn't get fat....He stays fat. Until he has to fight.

i feel this a problem as well
problem lies both with the UFC and fighters
the UFC can't seem to find fights for some of their resources ( mitch mitchrione, markos etc)
fighters are a lot picky of who they fight and where their opponent lies in the division and how far out the contract is signed etc, i say just fight, a few gimmies wont hurt your resume :)

Mendes didn't have a 3 week camp. He accepted the fight on less then 2 weeks notice with about 9 days of media.

He was also notified that he was an alternate a few weeks before that, he would have (or should have!) had about 5 weeks. Is that long enough? I'm not a pro fighter so I cannot say, but this 'Mendes had two weeks' rubbish should stop.

Back