UFC fighter pay can't be compared to other sports

Baseball players also don't take anywhere near the physical risk that a UFC fighter does. Personally baseball is the most boring thing on TV next to curling.

Fighter pay is somewhat of an issue but it isn't getting fixed anytime soon.

Baseball players don't make that much because they play a lot of games. It's because of collective bargaining.
Don't make that much? $100,000 a year for the rest of your life once you retire, plus a bang up healthcare plan isn't a lot?

What does lots of games have to do with it? Players want to play, rather than sitting on the bench. Also, when you don't play, you train and practice.

You think a UFC fighter who fights three times a year has 362 days off? Being a pro athlete is essentially a 24/7 thing. There's no such as off season nowadays. An athlete has to be in peak condition year round. Off season only means you practice and train more frequent than you do during the season. This is not just to keep your place on the roster, but to prolong your career. The better physical condition, the longer your body will last.

Baseball players (other than pitchers) can play 182 games + post season because they don't take the physical damage you take in MMA, boxing, football, hockey, rugby, etc.

I don't know what the minimum salary is in MLB, but it's at least more than $500,000. In a ten-year career you will have made at least $10 million. After that you get $100,000 a year for the rest of your life. And you are fully insured.

You are right, it's all because of collective bargaining. And it goes without saying. No employers throws out money he or she doesn't have to. It's business, not charity.

What I would like to see is that the UFC puts 10% of the revenue into a pension plan.

Don't make that much? $100,000 a year for the rest of your life once you retire, plus a bang up healthcare plan isn't a lot?

What does lots of games have to do with it? Players want to play, rather than sitting on the bench. Also, when you don't play, you train and practice.

You think a UFC fighter who fights three times a year has 362 days off? Being a pro athlete is essentially a 24/7 thing. There's no such as off season nowadays. An athlete has to be in peak condition year round. Off season only means you practice and train more frequent than you do during the season. This is not just to keep your place on the roster, but to prolong your career. The better physical condition, the longer your body will last.

Baseball players (other than pitchers) can play 182 games + post season because they don't take the physical damage you take in MMA, boxing, football, hockey, rugby, etc.

I don't know what the minimum salary is in MLB, but it's at least more than $500,000. In a ten-year career you will have made at least $10 million. After that you get $100,000 a year for the rest of your life. And you are fully insured.

You are right, it's all because of collective bargaining. And it goes without saying. No employers throws out money he or she doesn't have to. It's business, not charity.

What I would like to see is that the UFC puts 10% of the revenue into a pension plan.
You seem to have misread me. I'm not saying they don't make much. I'm saying they don't make the wages they do because of the long season, but because they have a union.

In every sport that does have collective bargaining, they fucked the players over until they organized. WME isn't going to just give fighters more of the pie. They're going to have to organize and work for it.

You seem to have misread me. I'm not saying they don't make much. I'm saying they don't make the wages they do because of the long season, but because they have a union.

In every sport that does have collective bargaining, they fucked the players over until they organized. WME isn't going to just give fighters more of the pie. They're going to have to organize and work for it.
It seems I misunderstood.

Can’t really compare mma to traditional team sports

those sports have been around for long time n are present at all levels

from high school to college n then pros

Only the best of the best make it to the top

Out of one million participant around 1000 get to play in pros.

Mma is more of a hobby turned into a pro career.

It’s basically a way for wrestlers n other martial artists without a pro league of their own to make money so of course ufc will have all the leverage

I think Frankie (RIP) talked about league sports teams owning/renting their stadiums and getting more gate revenue because of it whereas UFC is like a hobo travelling from one city to another for each event having to negotiate each event separately which probably ends up with higher operating costs vs league sports. Wish he was around to expand on this.

Who cares about what they get paid? Nobody is forcing them to fight. A fighters personal finances have no bearing on my ability to enjoy the fights.

agree . but i have to say baseball is one of the most boring sports on planet earth
I think it's fun to go to a baseball game, it's fun to watch baseball highlights and it's fun to watch playoff baseball. But yeah, watching any normal regular season baseball game on TV all the way through will put you straight to sleep.

But ye can make a correlation to the pay of a professional boxer.
Yup.

And save for the top of the heap boxers, undercard MMA fighters make more than undercard boxers.

Can’t really compare mma to traditional team sports

those sports have been around for long time n are present at all levels

from high school to college n then pros

Only the best of the best make it to the top

Out of one million participant around 1000 get to play in pros.

Mma is more of a hobby turned into a pro career.

It’s basically a way for wrestlers n other martial artists without a pro league of their own to make money so of course ufc will have all the leverage
You can compare revenue sharing.

Nobody is saying X in the NBA makes Y, therefore X in the UFC should make Y.

The UFC doesn't even have a retirement plan for the fighters.

The UFC has leverage because of exclusive contracts. As I have written here before, the NHL used to have such contracts. Teams owned you for life. Bobby Hull was the biggest sports star in Chicago in the 1960s and possibly the NHL. When he demanded a raise, he was forces to make a public apology to the owner. The Blackhawks were going to pay him what they wanted and Bobby had nowhere else to go.

You can compare revenue sharing.

Nobody is saying X in the NBA makes Y, therefore X in the UFC should make Y.

The UFC doesn't even have a retirement plan for the fighters.

The UFC has leverage because of exclusive contracts. As I have written here before, the NHL used to have such contracts. Teams owned you for life. Bobby Hull was the biggest sports star in Chicago in the 1960s and possibly the NHL. When he demanded a raise, he was forces to make a public apology to the owner. The Blackhawks were going to pay him what they wanted and Bobby had nowhere else to go.

youre comparing apples n oranges

in today’s pro leagues it’s not one guy owning the entire league. Every team is owned by one guy.

the closest thing to ufc would be Vince McMahon owning entire xfl or ice cubing with big 3.

Huge tv deals means these league are very profitable.

Owners had to get together n put salary caps in order to control players salaries.

If player a is not getting what he wants from team x, then he can go to team y n get max contract.

If player a feels is not pay what he’s truly worth he can even go overseas n there’s so much potential money to be made that if a pro league was underpaying their players, new league would emerge n there would be bidding wars.

Right now we have evidence that it’s not the case with mma.

Ufc = mma n Other leagues simply can’t compete.

If mma was as big as those other sports mma promotions would be lining up to give millions to ufc free agents.

afflictions tried such a thing a decade ago n went under.

youre comparing apples n oranges

in today’s pro leagues it’s not one guy owning the entire league. Every team is owned by one guy.

the closest thing to ufc would be Vince McMahon owning entire xfl or ice cubing with big 3.

Huge tv deals means these league are very profitable.

Owners had to get together n put salary caps in order to control players salaries.

If player a is not getting what he wants from team x, then he can go to team y n get max contract.

If player a feels is not pay what he’s truly worth he can even go overseas n there’s so much potential money to be made that if a pro league was underpaying their players, new league would emerge n there would be bidding wars.

Right now we have evidence that it’s not the case with mma.

Ufc = mma n Other leagues simply can’t compete.

If mma was as big as those other sports mma promotions would be lining up to give millions to ufc free agents.

afflictions tried such a thing a decade ago n went under.
That's not true. As I wrote, exclusive contracts is what limits movement. Fighters can't go to Rizin even if they want to. Randy Couture, for example. We all know this. We also know that fighters don't complain because they fear punishment.

You are right in that the UFC is a de facto monopoly. They let Gegard go. The UFC doesn't even care about having the best fighters, or fighters who want to fight, because they don't have to. It's a major league that operates as a bush league. That's why I would never pay to watch the UFC. Why would I give money to an organization that underpays its employees and doesn't put in any effort? Dana has the easiest job on the planet, yet fails at it. Why would I give my money to this lazy fatso?

A baseball player has the opportunity to play in up to 182 games in a year. A baseball game is 2-3 hours long. A UFC fighter has the opportunity to play 1-3 fights in a year. A fight is up to 15-25 minutes long.

Baseball gets high ratings. UFC gets lower ratings than Cops reruns.

A baseball player can generate up to 32,760 minutes of TV revenue in a year. A UFC fighter can generate up to 75 minutes of TV revenue in a year.

This is one big reason that UFC fighter pay can't be compared to athletes in other sports. There are many others. Bottom line, UFC fighters are always going to make less than athletes in other sports except for the guys at the very top of revenue generating ability.
How old are you? 6? Fuck man. People so stupid.

Thanks for the update lol

Back