UFC Fighter of the Year

MMAfanWA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Lightweight champion Benson ”Smooth” Henderson (18-2) has been named the ‘unofficial’ UFC fighter of the year. He is a worthy winner, wresting the title away from Frankie Edgar (14-3) in February at UFC 144, before defending it against Edgar in August and Nate Diaz (16-8) in December. He’s the king of arguably the UFC’s most dangerous division and he’ll have plenty of challengers to the throne in 2013. See the full UFC list and breakdown here.

1) Benson Henderson
2) Jon Jones
3) Demetrious Johnson
4) Matt Brown
5) Cain Velasquez
6) Stefan Struve
7) Cub Swanson
8) Mike Pyle
9) Anderson Silva
10) Costa Philippou

From www.mmaliveshere.com

Rightfully so, well deserved. I voted for Ben as the FOTY in some MMA 2012 yearly awards I voted on too.

I really hope he understands that his argument over pay money was unfounded. Who knew that in one years time he would go on the rise as quick as he did? When he signed that contract, it would have been at or around the time when he fought Guida putting him as a mid to top tier fighter, not a champion.

Wonder what he made behind closed doors? Wonder if he is paid like a champion? Fuck the contract shit, I want to know what he took home in the last 6 months or after the first Edgar fight?

He earned it. The LW division was on fire this year.

Well-deserved, but Anderson should be top 3. Good to see Matt Brown got a look.

Kinda surprised GSP isn't top 10. Boring fighter, but he did recover from a terrible injury. Hope RGIII can make similar full recovery.

I'm sooooo sick of hearing Bendo is fighter of the year. Anybody who was gifted a decision while never finishing anybody all year should never even be in the conversation for fighter of the year!!!

yea no. He lost to edgar both times.

Damn right he did, his record may look like he won 3 title fights, but all he did was beating Diaz and get the title handed to him twice.

Where have all the Edgar lovers come from the last couple weeks? All of a sudden they think he won not just one, but both title fights with Bendo and think he will destroy Aldo.

Edgar is an admirable fighter, but this stuff is crazy

Well-deserved, but Anderson should be top 3. Good to see Matt Brown got a look.

Kinda surprised GSP isn't top 10. Boring fighter, but he did recover from a terrible injury. Hope RGIII can make similar full recovery.

How many fights did GSP have this year? One - I think that's why he didn't get a second look.

As much as i respect his skills and his fights

I'd be a hypocrite to agree with this after i scored two of his three fights against him

Back