UFC Fight Night 73: Sara McMann vs Amanda Nunes PBP (Discussion)

I played the separate as well. It's a draftkings pick'm on the "parlay". I have Hall, Nunes, Ortiz, Alvey, Johnson. But Alvey and Johnson are no easy fits for a win.

According to the numbers, neither was Nunes. Meh, I prefer regretting being a chicken if they both win than losing 100 if any of them lose, I guess.

Does your mom know you stole her iPad? Kids shouldn't be up this late posting things they don't knew jack about. Sara defeated the most dominant wrestling champ of all time.

So because she defeated some chick does it make female wrestling some sort of a popular sport with deep talent pool? I've just checked and there were only 12 competitors in that division when Sara won her medal.

So because she defeated some chick does it make female wrestling some sort of a popular sport with deep talent pool? I've just checked and there were only 12 competitors in that division when Sara won her medal.

2004 was the first year. Very good athletes now. But Freestyle has almost zero matwork. It doesn't transition super well to mma grappling.

Icho is on a longer streak than that. 153 was two years ago. But Sara beat her at Kaplan 2003. That is a long time ago. Sara missed the ENTIRE team in 2008.

McMann was pregnant in 2008. Besides not making an Olympic team doesn't mean she's a bad athlete or bad martial artist. She finished as a bronze medalist the year before at worlds.

McMann was pregnant in 2008. Besides not making an Olympic team doesn't mean she's a bad athlete or bad martial artist. She finished as a bronze medalist the year before at worlds.

After she lost in trials to Miller. Come on man. The video is on youtube.

2004 was the first year. Very good athletes now. But Freestyle has almost zero matwork. It doesn't transition super well to mma grappling.

Well, so far there was hardly anything impressive about Sara's MMA skills. She literally got stuck on her back for 5 minutes against Tate, should have lost the fight to Lauren Murphy even tho she was on top. Her and Eye don't like getting punched in the face.

You could tell McMann doesn't train BJJ. She can't get wrestling out of her head.

Even when she gets fighters down, she get stuck in guard indefinitely.

Oh man! Not going to the ground when Nunes fell was awful.

As a mark for wrestlers that was disappointing. What was Sara thinking with the spinning shit? Nunes would be dangerous in rd 1, on the feet, then Sara's chances would go way up later, but she chose to throw strikes like that?

I wonder if she'll actually quit now. Or maybe stay around a bit just to become the 135 Lisa Ellis. She wasn't invested enough in MMA to train properly to begin with & now the division is starting to step up a gear, just being a top wrestler nearly 10 years ago isn't enough anymore.

I've been waiting for this moment for so long! Lioness is legit as it gets, but she doesn't get as many fights as she should be.

That will soon change, I see a #1 Contendership fight in the horizon.

Did McMann wipe her tears after being destroyed by Nunes?

After she lost in trials to Miller. Come on man. The video is on youtube.

What's your point?
Sara fished Top-3 in the world four times prior to that. In 2008 she was ready to move on from wrestling and start a family.

As a mark for wrestlers that was disappointing. What was Sara thinking with the spinning shit? Nunes would be dangerous in rd 1, on the feet, then Sara's chances would go way up later, but she chose to throw strikes like that?

I wonder if she'll actually quit now. Or maybe stay around a bit just to become the 135 Lisa Ellis. She wasn't invested enough in MMA to train properly to begin with & now the division is starting to step up a gear, just being a top wrestler nearly 10 years ago isn't enough anymore.

She doesn't seem to like the job
She didn't even want to promote her fight with Ronda ... I can't see her bothering to re-climb the ladder now

I can't say I was surprised.

Nunes has been improving steadily for the past 4 years. You know she's on a good learning curve training out of ATT.

I've had some issue with McMann for some time as her improvement has seemed a bit slow/stagnant. 18 months removed from her fight with Rousey, she wasn't looking like she was making substantial strides in the other parts of her game. Additionally, I'm not a big fan of her staying with her small local gym (Revolution MMA in SC). I get the whole stay with the same gym thing, but you're competing against athletes training at the top gyms with the top athletes in the sport.

It's really hard to keep up with the pack training with the smaller gyms when you have powerhouses like ATT, Blackzillians, Kings MMA or gyms with deep pockets that can fly in top talent to train with like Glendale. That and if you're the #1 dog in your gym and you're not a champion then you should probably be seeking a tougher training environment.

The funny thing is I included Nunes on the list of fighters that could present a problem for Cyborg at 135 a few weeks back and people were laughing. Nunes has steadily improving striking and has been working her judo (brown belt) and BJJ (black belt) for a long time. Even though she had holes in her game you could see steady improvement from fight to fight.

Big win for Nunes, and it looks like McMann is out title contention for quite a while to come.

See, this is how over-rated McMann's wrestling always was. I don't care about the Olympic credentials, this isn't Olympic wrestling. It's MMA and not every wrestler transitions well to the sport....see Mark Munoz as a near-perfect example, whenever he faced a top opponent who was a lesser wrestler than him, on paper.

McMann's wrestling has rarely been used to do more than LNP far lesser decorated women for 15mins. She;s hardly a damaging wrestler, she's so one-dimensional it's ridiculous.

Fairplay to Nunes though. She's a finisher, or at least vaguely exciting, hope she continues to do well as WMMA needs more finishers.

Back