UFC Fight Night 172 Eye vs. Calvillo

I'm tempted by Vettori sub at nearly double the odds of him ITD, especially in the small cage. Not sure I play it

Glad I listened to u on this. I didnt take sub I just took ITD I had a feeling he would finish this one.

This is Eye's fight to lose. I'm actually shocked to see the fight with pretty much pick 'em odds...
...Go ahead, make fun of me if Calvillo wins, but I really, really don't see it...
giphy.gif

I cannot imagine Eye to be a big favourite against most of the roster.
She is a decision machine that always ends up in close fights.
According to fight finder she has been involved in 6 split decisions until now, that's probably a record on its own.

I have 3u on Calvilllo, it will likely be another competitive, close fight though.
2bet, from how the fight looked, you could put twice as much. Eye looked lost in there. How dumb am I to think it's her fight to lose?
Kyle again with the betting tip of the year. Thinking of going All in on Carvillo now lol

I was dead wrong, you guys.
Jeez. Eye didn't even win the stand-up! I thought she's gonna press forward and outvolume/outcardio Calvillo, who's known for her suspect gastank, and her defense backing up is not good. And if Calvillo manages to take Eye down, I really didn't think she's gonna be able to keep her down for any substantial time.
giphy.gif

The state of the women FLW is that bad. Some pudgy 115er goes up and beats one of the "top" fighters there without much trouble. I should've seen that. Eye was scrapping by some really bad fighters, but just because she never (officially) lost non-title fight at FLW I thought she won't lose this. Everything was in plain sight, but I was blind for it.

You guys said it best. Eye has nothing dangerous in her game. She doesn't have a killing grappling, striking or wrestling game. She's not even a volume machine. She's good enough in all phases to not get overwhelmed. But she can't take firm control the fight because her game has no bite, if I can express it that way.

It's fair to say I think that Eye was not in her best shape. She was unusual sluggish and didn't seem prepared for what Calvillo brings to the table. Maybe if she had some actual gameplan she would've edge another dicision, but even in the best scenario I would've been wrong because this was not her fight to lose as I said it is.

Would like to add something that is slightly off topic:

When I watched the fight I finally realised why she eats so many headkicks. Look at her guard and her posture:
source.gif

She is leaning forward and her right hand is down by the edge of her chin. Her right hand ain't protecting shit. This guard protects her head as well as if she didn't have her hands up at all. From the gif is visible that she loads up her right before she throws it, making it pretty obvious for the opponent and slowing it down. Also picking her chin up in the process. Bad technique all over the place. After the strike, she's dropping her arm, dragging it back, instead of pulling it fast and straight back. Rarely if ever "closing the door" on that right either. She's not finishing it with some evasive movement or maybe a clinch, even a left hook would be fine.

Southpaw kickers really got her number, but she's eating kicks from any stance really...
SentimentalCarelessIndianrockpython-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

2bet, from how the fight looked, you could put twice as much. Eye looked lost in there. How dumb am I to think it's her fight to lose?

I was dead wrong, you guys.
Jeez. Eye didn't even win the stand-up! I thought she's gonna press forward and outvolume/outcardio Calvillo, who's known for her suspect gastank, and her defense backing up is not good. And if Calvillo manages to take Eye down, I really didn't think she's gonna be able to keep her down for any substantial time.
giphy.gif

The state of the women FLW is that bad. Some pudgy 115er goes up and beats one of the "top" fighters there without much trouble. I should've seen that. Eye was scrapping by some really bad fighters, but just because she never (officially) lost non-title fight at FLW I thought she won't lose this. Everything was in plain sight, but I was blind for it.

You guys said it best. Eye has nothing dangerous in her game. She doesn't have a killing grappling, striking or wrestling game. She's not even a volume machine. She's good enough in all phases to not get overwhelmed. But she can't take firm control the fight because her game has no bite, if I can express it that way.

It's fair to say I think that Eye was not in her best shape. She was unusual sluggish and didn't seem prepared for what Calvillo brings to the table. Maybe if she had some actual gameplan she would've edge another dicision, but even in the best scenario I would've been wrong because this was not her fight to lose as I said it is.

Would like to add something that is slightly off topic:

When I watched the fight I finally realised why she eats so many headkicks. Look at her guard and her posture:
source.gif

She is leaning forward and her right hand is down by the edge of her chin. Her right hand ain't protecting shit. This guard protects her head as well as if she didn't have her hands up at all. From the gif is visible that she loads up her right before she throws it, making it pretty obvious for the opponent and slowing it down. Also picking her chin up in the process. Bad technique all over the place. After the strike, she's dropping her arm, dragging it back, instead of pulling it fast and straight back. Rarely if ever "closing the door" on that right either. She's not finishing it with some evasive movement or maybe a clinch, even a left hook would be fine.

Southpaw kickers really got her number, but she's eating kicks from any stance really...
SentimentalCarelessIndianrockpython-size_restricted.gif

Eye fell into the same trap as well but once she missed weight I basically cancelled the fight and got out of there.

Back