News UFC Featherweight Felicia Spencer retires from MMA

Sounds like a too durable for her own good situation. I’ve long felt that she was one of the toughest fighters in WMMA- no one really hangs in there with Cyborg and Nunes without getting put down. And I’m not trying to say hang in as if to imply the fights were close. They were lopsided but you could see how tough Felicia was. She did not mentally withdraw from the fight and she had the durability to back that up.

I’d imagine with someone like Condit- who obviously had a much longer career but the point stands- it might be a similar mentality. You can rely on your insane durability and keep on fighting, but at some point you have to worry about what that cumulative damage will look like down the line.

GDR is getting screwed by Dana & Hunter on pay. Why would any female athlete want to move to the UFC?

Holm and Tate on their way out also. This is what happens when you pay like shit and have no collegiate recruiting in place.

Wow only 31 years old with 2 of 3 losses to Nunes and Cyborg. Very surprising.

Best of luck to her in her next opportunities.

Probably got offered Nunes next again lol

I think she doesn't believe she can actually be the best and her division has so few people to fight.

She was an Invicta champ. I believe she was paid $140K to fight Nunes. She actually made some decent pay.

She teaches Math, and seems to really like training kids at the gym as well. She has a nice guaranteed income. She took her shot, and fell a bit short. But, she had the balls, and heart to hang in there with two destroyers at 145.

I suspect she actually wants to have a child as well. Just a good overall choice. I wish her nothing but luck.

She had a decent career for the weightclass she was competing at. Left off with a pretty dominant win.
Good for her! Seems like a great person too.

Agree. Cyborg gave her a flogging but she’s certainly tough as hell, no quit in her, good luck to her

If you have two brain cells to put together, is obvious why she's retiring. She's at an age where she needs to make a decision to have children or not, and obviously has to stop fighting to do so (and would be too old by the time she could fight again to compete) so retiring is the only logical step to take. It's a unique problem that only female fighters will have to deal with, since men don't have to change their lifestyle to have a kid. We might actually see a lot of good female fighters retire early for this same reason.

If you have two brain cells to put together, is obvious why she's retiring. She's at an age where she needs to make a decision to have children or not, and obviously has to stop fighting to do so (and would be too old by the time she could fight again to compete) so retiring is the only logical step to take. It's a unique problem that only female fighters will have to deal with, since men don't have to change their lifestyle to have a kid. We might actually see a lot of good female fighters retire early for this same reason.

Quite a few have had kids then come back. Pena had time out to have a kid and she's fighting for the title. Miesha is back, Nina is back, Lansberg, BVB and Kunitskaya are all planning on coming back as far as I know.

I'm happy for her, despite being surprised. She was a great finisher, and she only lost to the very best. She also looked very tough in defeat, every time. She had a great mount.

I know she works as a teacher back home. I'm sure the troublemakers in class enjoyed watching Ms. Spencer from homeroom get battered by two Brazilian juicerats.

where is back home? in Canada? because she's been living in Orlando for the past few years and I think this is home for her? Teaching isn't a lucrative industry here in Florida, pay is shit, although they did just give new teachers a small raise a few years ago (but somehow didn't up the pay for people who had been working for years with a slightly lesser pay lol)

where is back home? in Canada? because she's been living in Orlando for the past few years and I think this is home for her? Teaching isn't a lucrative industry here in Florida, pay is shit, although they did just give new teachers a small raise a few years ago (but somehow didn't up the pay for people who had been working for years with a slightly lesser pay lol)
She teaches math online in Florida. That combined with I assume a paid teaching job at her gym probably provided nicely. Clearly she seemed good with it. As well as giving her the freedom to train. If teachers are underpaid that’s a whole other issue, for a different thread.

She teaches math online in Florida. That combined with I assume a paid teaching job at her gym probably provided nicely. Clearly she seemed good with it. As well as giving her the freedom to train. If teachers are underpaid that’s a whole other issue, for a different thread.

oh nice didn't know she was doing that here virtually. Good for her. I guess if she can make ends meet between teaching/coaching than good for her.

Back