UFC fans have a negative stigma.. But so should all sports fans

Dontevenguess93

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So I've been on here for a few months to kill time during my semester because classes are way too easy and I was bored. I had no exposure to UFC fans outside of a group of maybe 12 of my friends and I who all trained at the same gym for baby years together. We are not pros but we enjoy fighting and I have trained for a few years with a few UFC fighters and have had nothing but respect for them.

I came here and was very surprised at how negative fans are and I had no idea because I had never seen it. My only concept of commentary watching fights came from my friends and I and the pros that we watch fights with. Among them, there is nothing but mutual respect and positivity. In other words you never hear fighter bashing.

Here is a different story. No matter who wins the main event, every event, you (about 90% of you) guys make a million threads on why the loser sucks or was never good to begin with or is overrated, instead of just saying the other fight fought a good fight. Other times you question their heart, chin, intelligence, and toughness. For many months this bothered me because I consider every pro fighter to have heart especially in the UFC.

At the sports bar the other day though, I noticed a bunch of old dudes talking about baseball and basketball, they had you guys beat in negativity. That denounced players, coaches, strategies, all with reckless abandon and no concept of the idea that they probably knew what they were doing.

So it made me wonder. Why is critiquing and bashing of UFC fighters so different? Sports fans of all sports do it but with other sports it's considered completely normal. Why is it with the UFC it's magnified?

Agreed.

you UFC fans should be ashamed of yourselves...

Because UFC fans are more sensitive than regular sports fans and like to feel different.

The respect comes from years of watching and understanding the sport. I also noticed those that train have an appreciation for those that fight for a living

Because UFC fans are more sensitive than regular sports fans and like to feel different.

It's funny because if you go to a sports bad during a play off game, try and find a single guy not being a doushebag and acting like the expert. The whole restaurant consists of them.

The respect comes from years of watching and understanding the sport. I also noticed those that train have an appreciation for those that fight for a living

I'd buy you a beer for that comment. Well said.

did you just say you used to respect fighters, but after becoming a sherdogger (and overhearing some crotchety old shits talk about baseball) you now think dissing fighters as acceptable?

wow. you'll fit in well here.

It's a combat sport and a especially violent one at that. So MMA fans are perceived as being barbaric for wanting to watch two people beat the piss out of each other. Of course boxing is completely different because it's the "sweet science" and therefore so much more elegant and sophisticated than MMA. Hockey is different because they occasionally move a puck around the ice in between bare-knuckle fights. You get my point.

I call BS, ts doesn't have 12 friends

did you just say you used to respect fighters, but after becoming a sherdogger (and overhearing some crotchety old shits talk about baseball) you now think dissing fighters as acceptable?

wow. you'll fit in well here.

Quite the opposite I'm stating that apparently all sports fans are negative pricks who are sideline experts while I mistakingly singled out UFC fans.

Quite the opposite I'm stating that apparently all sports fans are negative pricks who are sideline experts while I mistakingly singled out UFC fans.

ahh.

yes, there is something to what you say. and there is a second factor; most people are dickish and say dickish shit on the internet that they would never say in real life. and most mma discussions happen online. hell, go to any new story and read the comments, you'll see what i mean. i don't care if it's cnn, tmz, a physics site (the bible thumpers are rampant on there trying to disavow the theory of relativity so as to justify a 7k year old biblical earth - so sad) or even facebook.

so no, this bashing that goes on here - as disgusting as it is - is probably not unexpected after looking at the bigger picture.

Very much so. TS head over to the grappling and standup technique forums and you'll see a much more reasonable crowd.

SeattleFan nailed it.

What you're seeing is an internet & anonymity phenomenon, not really anything unique to MMA or Sherdog.

As for the guys talking shit about basketball and baseball in the bar...that's another separate phenomenon. Those are team sports and most people are really fans of their specific favorite teams moreso than any on the individual athletes - and people will defend their teams and talk shit about their rivals all day. Some of this is evident in MMA as well, when a fighter becomes someone's "team."

You have 12 friends all agreeable and happy about everything fighters do?

Sounds boring as shit to me. Kind of odd too.

It isn't even about hating them as human beings.... It's about loving to hate guys as a sports fan. Like I hated Rampage because I was a huge Wand fan and it's like youre in on the rivalry. Just makes it more fun.

It's a bunch of people posting anonymously on the internet of course it's ripe with ignorant, disrespectful and crazy remarks. A significant percentage of it isn't genuine, just trolling and baiting people into over reacting. One of my friends is a massive computer geek, literally spends all day everyday online and he's basically a full time troll, I've known him for twelve years and I can never tell if he's serious. I imagine there are quite a few of these people here, they live to get a rise out of others. Don't take anything here personally and be aware that the most outrageous/offensive stuff is almost exclusively not serious

I know one big shot (former co worker) who bashes MMArtists as sucking, not knowing what they are doing. It's annoying as fuck.

It's funny because if you go to a sports bad during a play off game, try and find a single guy not being a doushebag and acting like the expert. The whole restaurant consists of them.

YEA compared to every tool who played some high school JV football and thinks they know everything about football, mma fans are prob more respectful - the general judgmental, lack of reality, commentary that goes on with mainstream sports is embarassing

basically the sport of football / basketball are awesome but you wish it wasnt packaged for complete idiots

I'm going to assume that the whole "bashing being bad" thing was established when fighters used to post here?

Back