UFC exec: Stitch's Reebok 'comments had nothing to do' with firing

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
UPDATE:

UPDATE: The UFC has responded to Bloody Elbow's request for clarification on Epstein's comments with the following statement:

"Jacob ‘Stitch' Duran has not been banned from UFC and he is free to corner any athlete if they choose to pay for his services. We want to provide other cutmen the opportunity to work UFC events. UFC certainly respects Duran's experience and accomplishments as a cutman, and wishes him the best. We will not comment about the other reasons that lead to the ending of his independent contractor agreement with UFC, other than to say it had nothing to do with his comments about Reebok."

All of which makes Lawrence Epstein's recent comments about Duran's firing to the International Business Times seem like an especially dramatic shift from a story that had been pretty well accepted and spoken to by all parties involved:

"Unequivocally, his comments had nothing to do with him getting let go. I can't be more firm on that. There are a variety of reasons that he was let go, but nothing to do with his comments on Reebok," Epstein said. "He's trying to paint this thing as, he said some stuff about Reebok and as a result, he was let go. It's just not true. That's not the reason why he was let go. I can't be more clear on that."

Epstein's comments came as part of a larger story on the influence of sponsorship money in low paying sports, a landscape where the UFC is currently front and center alongside USA men's track and field.

More: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/1...reebok-comments-had-nothing-to-do-with-firing

Last edited:
< --

Nailed it. Stitch probably got fired for some other reason(s), but seeing how MMA nerds were pissed about the Reebok deal, he decided to make it out like he was a martyr for his Reebok comments. Very shrewd, Stitch, very shrewd.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Yeah, bullshit.

"There are a variety of reasons he was let go, but none of which I can think of quick enough to make up right now."

Lol right it was just a coincidence.

Although what can the Ufc say? They can't admit it

It had nothing to do with his Reebok comments.

Granted, he got let go like a day after that article came out but it had absolutely nothing to do with that.

< --

Nailed it. Stitch probably got fired for some other reason(s), but seeing how MMA nerds were pissed about the Reebok deal, he decided to make it out like he was a martyr for his Reebok comments. Very shrewd, Stitch, very shrewd.

lol Don't tell me you believe this garbage

cant be more clear but cant clearly say what. clearly, unclear.

"Unequivocally, his comments had nothing to do with him getting let go. I can't be more firm on that. There are a variety of reasons that he was let go, but nothing to do with his comments on Reebok," (basically he stole my sandwich from the fridge) Epstein said. "He's trying to paint this thing as, he said some stuff about Reebok and as a result, he was let go. It's just not true. That's not the reason why he was let go. I can't be more clear on that."[/I]

Can't be more clear on how unclear he is :icon_lol:

Damage control obviously

It isn't like he got fired for being bad at his job

< --

You believe the UFC lawyer?

Can someone explain to me what the big deal is about this guy getting fired? I personally don't give a shit, but obviously a lot of people do, why?

< --

shut up Dana

lol...damage control when it really wasn't even needed. The thing was already out of minds, out of sight...now he has to come and lie about it in public. Dumb.

Yeah the UFC has less than zero credibility at this point so I'll go ahead and believe Stitch

Ehhhh...

Seems strange. He's such a hot commodity in the combat sports world and has been for decades. He travels the world working with the absolute best fighters on the planet. He'll be okay without the UFC, but I am curious what would cause the UFC to let him go. Can we just get 1 of the "many reasons", please?

Ehhhh...

Seems strange. He's such a hot commodity in the combat sports world and has been for decades. He travels the world working with the absolute best fighters on the planet. He'll be okay without the UFC, but I am curious what would cause the UFC to let him go. Can we just get 1 of the "many reasons", please?

I would love to see them come up with them

Unless they had it on record him no showing or being late or something other....every fighter asked about the guy loves his work as a cut man

Back