UFC Europe department is on a streak while Asian dept is on low hill

SuperChoi

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
With Mcgregor(IRE), Gustaffson(SWE), UFC Europe department is on a hell of a run with these new stars while the Asian market is making no profit out of itself except for maybe Japan.
Thanks to Europe's infrastructure on combat sports, and the fact speaking English in second language is not uncommon in Europe, these fighters have shown some great ticket sales across both Europe and U.S.

UFC is did a very good job on that, and they made profit out of it, but they should not count out the Asian market and learn how to market it. UFC hasn't been to South East Asia and has no plan, so I will explain how Asian market works.
UFC has been just forcing its own image and style into the Asian market ever since it got an idea on the market. Like, no advertisements on any great TV networks on the place and things. And the real money in the Asian market comes from the normal audience that just gets interest on the whole idea of fighting.
Pride knew its people and did a very good job on advertising itself with pro wrestling type advertisements. People of East Asia doesn't want to see fighting mostly. They think that it is a horrid thing to do or even watch others do, but they get intrigued by the colorful lights and appearance of the fighters.
Nobody knew about MMA in Korea and Japan but Fedor and Cro Cop? They loved them because "The Last Emperor", "The High Kick Master" gig was advertised all over television and the sheer appearance of these fighters made it seem dramatic. But Big Nog? They didn't give much interest in him because he was not really known or advertised.
UFC's approach on Asian Market was like what Pride did to Big Nog. Just let people know that "there is a great fighter, he is good at fighting, see what he can do!" with zero appearance of those fighters on TV where non-fans watch.
But even after UFC announced UFC Korea plans and a big event on Japan, I don't see any advertisements or UFC fighters doing anything. They are not Brazilians. They will not just cheer for their national fighters. If any UFC fighter with a cool concept will make them fans and make them cheer against their own.
So please UFC, make fighters do something. There are many fighters across China Korea and Japan and they are just being quiet. Sexyama and Dong Hyun Kim is the only fighter I know who does the advertising and it is not under UFC's orders, it is on their own only to advertise and make money themselves.
UFC should make them go up to TV more often like when Pride stars like Hunto and Wanderlei just got up to screen and played armwrestling.

Its clearly because.... Gary Cook is a fucking stud.

Maybe if DHK didn't try to throw crash bandicoot spinning shit they'd have there superstar by now

It'll be interesting to see what they do moving forward. They've got a handful of good prospects (Choi, Tanaka, Kang) and an emerging contender in Horiguchi to market there. They say they plan on going to South Korea and Japan, so I expect another round of signings of guys from those countries.
They definitely need to alter their approach to marketing and building the scene in Asia because I think they've been going about it the wrong way. Especially in China and Japan.

One question there broski.

How exactly is the UFC going to market a fist fight to people that don't want to see a fist fight? Because lights and fireworks are the appetizer, not the main course.

There are still big draws in Asian MMA. Some are signed by Zuffa: Gomi, Kawajiri (I think?), sooner or later Nakai and Horiguchi. some aren't: Aoki, dare-I-say Askren, and definitely my homeboy Shinsuke Nakamura (look him up, he's a bigger draw than ever). Interest still exists in Asian MMA and if/when Zuffa starts holding more events there, and more kids take up fighting there, "the sport" will continue to grow.

I wish Asia were still producing greats the caliber of BC1200 - AD2007.

I don't know why people think you need asian fighters to sell in Asia or European fighters to sell in Europe. Yea it's nice rooting for some local guy but i gaurantee they would prefer to see stars like Jones and Weidman over some middling fighter from their country.

Of course the ultimate seller would be a champion from their country like what gsp was to Canada.

I don't know why people think you need asian fighters to sell in Asia or European fighters to sell in Europe. Yea it's nice rooting for some local guy but i gaurantee they would prefer to see stars like Jones and Weidman over some middling fighter from their country.

Of course the ultimate seller would be a champion from their country like what gsp was to Canada.

I always enjoy dominant champions, and would like more "flux" between regions of the world, and the caliber of MMA they have. I would like a Russian UFC Champion, a South Korean, a Japanese, and maybe for good measure, a Samoan or Inuit.

Some days I wish OneFC would get really big and buy the UFC. And have all their shows in Asia so we can have soccer kicks.

Back