Media UFC dropout beats 3rd undefeated prospect in boxing

D 1 Wrestler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score

Cassius” Clay (7-2-3, 2 KOs) was able to win an entertaining six-round split decision over the previously unbeaten David Kaminsky (6-1, 3 KOs) on Thursday’s Top Rank Boxing on ESPN card. Collard entered the fight as a +400 underdog on 5Dimes, but his high-volume, rough-and-tumble style proved to be very difficult for Kaminsky to handle.

By the end of the bout, Kaminsky’s face was cut up and busted, and while the 19-year-old native of Israel had his moments attacking Collard’s body in the middle rounds, Collard consistently outlanding his opponent paved the way for another upset victory. It’s the third fight in a row in which he’s handed an unbeaten fighter his first L, and you will find that his strength of schedule is impressive for his level of fighting.

Watch the highlights below, including that uh... interesting combination that Collard threw.

Last edited:
good for him. might be a decent little gatekeeper for prospects.

although it looks like he has taken a few losses

Its what Ryan Ford became quickly too for guys like Buatsi and Chudinov after going 14-0, although I was surprised Ford beat guys like Robert Berridge, Manus Boonjumnong, Sam Rapira and Serge Michel on his way up.

Its interesting to see guys make the switch, Ford couldn't get permitted for MMA to fight outside of his country of Canada due to a violent criminal past, but was able to with Boxing for some reason so at 33 he retired from MMA with 28 or so pro fights and has been dedicated to boxing for the last 5-6 years.

I hadn't heard of Clay Collard since Max Holloway beat the shit out of him, he was really a low level guy in MMA, like never a top 50 FW. I was shocked to see him beating guys with winning records in boxing and the fights I watched of his....He looks awful but is winning the wars of attrition with volume, toughness and physicality. He won't get far, but its cool to see.

Its what Ryan Ford became quickly too for guys like Buatsi and Chudinov after going 14-0, although I was surprised Ford beat guys like Robert Berridge, Manus Boonjumnong, Sam Rapira and Serge Michel on his way up.

Its interesting to see guys make the switch, Ford couldn't get permitted for MMA to fight outside of his country of Canada due to a violent criminal past, but was able to with Boxing for some reason so at 33 he retired from MMA with 28 or so pro fights and has been dedicated to boxing for the last 5-6 years.

I hadn't heard of Clay Collard since Max Holloway beat the shit out of him, he was really a low level guy in MMA, like never a top 50 FW. I was shocked to see him beating guys with winning records in boxing and the fights I watched of his....He looks awful but is winning the wars of attrition with volume, toughness and physicality. He won't get far, but its cool to see.
oh yeah i mean if he fights someone worth anything he'd get killed.

but he is probably a good test for the really young newcomers because he puts on a pretty frenetic pace so you can kinda see who is in shape and who isn't to get to the next level.

I'm all for it actually. Need guys like that to weed out the pretenders even if they themselves are not talente

I would never call someone throwing those type of combinations a "prospect".

Still cant believe Ryan Ford beat 2x Olympic Gold and Silver Medalist Manus

Cassius” Clay (7-2-3, 2 KOs) was able to win an entertaining six-round split decision over the previously unbeaten David Kaminsky (6-1, 3 KOs) on Thursday’s Top Rank Boxing on ESPN card. Collard entered the fight as a +400 underdog on 5Dimes, but his high-volume, rough-and-tumble style proved to be very difficult for Kaminsky to handle.

By the end of the bout, Kaminsky’s face was cut up and busted, and while the 19-year-old native of Israel had his moments attacking Collard’s body in the middle rounds, Collard consistently outlanding his opponent paved the way for another upset victory. It’s the third fight in a row in which he’s handed an unbeaten fighter his first L, and you will find that his strength of schedule is impressive for his level of fighting.

Watch the highlights below, including that uh... interesting combination that Collard threw.

Israel Adesanya The UFC's current P4P #4 rated fighter, reigning UFC Middleweight champion, and one of the most elite strikers in MMA today
Izzy.png

Conor McGregor The UFC's current P4P #8 rated fighter, a former two-division UFC champion and superstar, and also one of the most elite strikers in MMA today (ignoring his recent fake ‘retirement’)
Conor.png

Anderson Silva MMA's consensus Middleweight GOAT, Top 5 P4P ATG, a former UFC Middleweight champion & P4P #1 king, and one of the greatest strikers in MMA history (if not the greatest ever)
A-Silva.png

Silva and McGregor are the two most celebrated strikers in MMA history and both got stopped in boxing. Not beaten by decision, stopped, and in their professional boxing debuts. Both are locks as future first-ballot UFC Hall of Famers. They're viewed as absolute legends of the game in MMA yet they were what you would call rejects in boxing.
8ddd86d705603d027820adab48bcd99d.gif

Collard was a boxer first ,he grew up as an amateur boxer with over 100 fights so he’s actually a boxer more then a mix fighter .

In the end it doesn’t matter striking is different in MMA then boxing and if you are overly strong over the other abilities it’s big contrast . Most people on here never done either so they have no clue what their talking about comparing different striking to an entirely different set of rules and gloves used using fights in the other respective sport as evidence of how skilled a fighter is.......

Last edited:
Different sports, since some people seem confused about that.

good for him. Corny to call him a “UFC reject” with an extensive amateur boxing career. This MMA vs boxing argument is so fucking old and played out. Both sports can and will coexist.

Israel Adesanya The UFC's current P4P #4 rated fighter, reigning UFC Middleweight champion, and one of the most elite strikers in MMA today
Izzy.png

Conor McGregor The UFC's current P4P #8 rated fighter, a former two-division UFC champion and superstar, and also one of the most elite strikers in MMA today (ignoring his recent fake ‘retirement’)
Conor.png

Anderson Silva MMA's consensus Middleweight GOAT, Top 5 P4P ATG, a former UFC Middleweight champion & P4P #1 king, and one of the greatest strikers in MMA history (if not the greatest ever)
A-Silva.png

Silva and McGregor are the two most celebrated strikers in MMA history and both got stopped in boxing. Not beaten by decision, stopped, and in their professional boxing debuts. Both are locks as future first-ballot UFC Hall of Famers. They're viewed as absolute legends of the game in MMA yet they were what you would call rejects in boxing.

Lol can’t really argue with that!

never knew Adesanya was a professional boxer

Izzy.png

Conor.png

A-Silva.png

well, one poorly framed argument deserves another, i guess.

Izzy.png

Conor.png

A-Silva.png

For what it's worth Masvidal's 1-0 as a pro boxer. He's the one MMA guy i'd like to see make the transition supposing he's somehow able to get out from his UFC contract. I think he's got the best hands and best boxing in MMA along with a solid chin and good reflexes.

This guy is a wrestle-boxer who tried MMA and it didnt work out, I dont think he will be a champ in boxing but he is only 27 so we could have the next Ryan Ford or better if he keeps developing.

Good for him, maybe he found true calling in Boxing.

Early prospects at the lower level will have some issues w/ him. Clay's one of those blue collar dudes and fights like it. I remember him from the ufc, he's half decent and his technique is horrific but he's got heart for days and can take a punch. Puts his all into every fight. Good boxers will crush him but it's harder to slow a guy like Collard down in boxing than it is in mma where any decent wrassler can just put him on his ass and take away that extensive pressure he puts on guys.

He had a pretty extensive amateur career as a boxer before he ever got into mma, iirc. Either way I watched his last fight and he's a tough dude, that's for sure. The kid he was fighting hit him w/ some fucking hammers and he took em all and never stopped coming.

Back