UFC: Does the Promotion Finally See What It Has in Cris Cyborg?

Concrete Whale

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...motion-finally-see-what-it-has-in-cris-cyborg

hi-res-5a2e461cd1992f772aa0b569f3a6a41d_crop_north.jpg

Never in the history of MMA has a promotion been so reluctant to accept a contracted fighter’s stardom as the UFC was to accept that of Cris “Cyborg” Justino.

Obsessively selling the sport—both the male and female wings—as Ronda Rousey’s took plenty of time and money, and until she was blasted into obscurity by a Holly Holm head kick in November 2015, there was no room for anyone else.

Now, with Rousey gone for the better part of a year and with no return in sight, and with the bantamweight division she once ruled left in a state of flux, the UFC has been forced to accept that Rousey’s greatest foil might be the best female attraction it has got going.

So it goes Cyborg is getting another UFC fight, and this time, she’s a headliner. If nothing else, the sport makes strange bedfellows sometimes.

When Rousey ruled the roost, Cyborg was forced to the margins as an afterthought. She was afraid to come to bantamweight. She didn’t deserve a title shot because she was a PED user. She was Wanderlei Silva in a dress.

People want to see me fight in the @UFC but the only girls who want to fight me fight at 145. I'm the most ducked fighter in wmma history
— Cris Cyborg (@criscyborg) July 23, 2016

Anything the UFC and its golden goose could concoct to downplay Cyborg as a legitimate threat—and make no mistake, she always was a legitimate threat to Rousey—was done, and it was done without morals or scruples or any particular degree of tact.

Even the most ardent pro-UFC folks couldn’t support the president, Dana White, slandering a female fighter for her appearance, and top Rousey boosters couldn’t honestly say they thought Cyborg would be a cakewalk if they’d ever seen her fight.

The Brazilian is a terror in the most complimentary sense of the word. She’s graceful in her barbarity, a perpetual masterclass of technique backed up by a stopping power that almost no one in the sport can match. She’s animalistic in how she stalks prey and finishes with swift, vicious flurries. It’s a gift; it’s beautiful to the eye that’s looking around the busted noses and bleeding faces it produces.

So with Rousey more Hollywood than haymakers, the UFC has given Justino a shot. She showed up in Brazil at a UFC event, made 140 pounds and made hamburger meat out of Leslie Smith in a minute flat.

People loved it.

She was instantly a hero in her homeland, producing Octagon thrills the nation hasn’t felt since the days of a TRT-infused Vitor Belfort punting heads into the Amazon like so many soccer balls lost at a Flamengo training session.

Now she’s going back, and she’s bringing a headliner’s hell with her.

The UFC recently announced she’d be the marquee name at UFC Fight Night 95 in Brasilia in September, the type of thing that’s bound to get her country worked into a lather. Anyone who likes short main events that are rich with carnage are probably happy too, as poor Lina Lansberg is the UFC debutant drawing the assignment as Cyborg’s sacrifice. Lansberg’s 6-1 against people you’ve never heard of, and unless she is made of cast iron, you can’t like her chances.

It leads one to the conclusion that the UFC finally, in spite of itself, may understand what it has in Cris Cyborg.

She’s among the most entertaining fighters in MMA, male or female, and she has the same aura of invincibility Rousey did—only it’s been maintained for twice as long. She can carry a card and people would watch all over the world, plus she bolsters a Brazilian market that’s been flagging and can’t possibly be looking up given the publicity surrounding the Rio Olympics.

It’s a good look for the UFC and for Justino. She can be the star the promotion always wanted, even if it didn’t want to acknowledge it had her.

---

FINALLY Cyborg is starting to get the recognition she deserves. Can't wait till UFC Brasilia! Ronda WK squad triggered in 3 - 2 - 1...

She won't be a star.

1) She's unattractive
2) She's a she and WMMA stinks
3) She barely speaks English

Nope, but I posted months ago that since they pay her wage they may aswell make money off her rather than her fight in Invicta on Fight Pass.

Put a new division for her.

she's only 31.

I don't care if she wrecked other girls for the next 5 yrs.

Kinda fun to watch.

Until she makes weight, she'll be the only one missing out

She fights cans in a division nobody gives a shit about. She's a known PED user that's afraid to drop four more pounds of PED muscle, and make some attempt to legitimize her claims of being "the best."

Honestly, its a Brazilian headlining an event in Brazil. I wouldn't read too deeply into it.

Your obsession with Ronda and Cyborg is bordering on unsettling at this point.

Unless she's defending the Invicta belt, I am not interested. These sideshow matches at UFC will be absolutely meaningless. Yeah, MAYBE she'll be able to make a better dollar for UFC by fighting in Brazil than in Invicta, but still. Vacate the title if you want to follow the dollar, or concentrate on the Sport.

Will she be fighting another blown up 125 pounder, while legitimate threats at 145 lbs are brushed under the carpet?

Hilarious that people still honestly believe she can't make 135 lbs. She told Tito she was walking around at 172 lbs when he signed her like four years ago, was 160 lbs when she came off suspension, and now she's claiming to be back up to 172 lbs. (Personally I don't believe her, because while she's still carrying some unnatural muscle mass there's a lot less than there was when she was gooning people in Strikeforce.)

She's an average striker (tooled by Jorina Baars) who beats smaller women via a huge, ill-gotten size advantage -- nothing more.

Last edited:

Kinda fun to watch.

This is Sherdog, I am sure some among us appreciate women getting dominated and wrecked to the point they can barely walk.

1) she is a ped bust waiting to happen,could u imagine her destroying some girl finney style for 15 -25 minutes but it not being stopped and then she fails in the ufc,a women who looks roided to the gills beating up a women who doesnt would not go over well with casuals

i actually used to like cyborg back before i will die if i go to 135 then back tracks says she will go,then no i dont want to do it.but the worst is she put on 10 pounds on her inshape walk around weight and is now like look im 170 i cant make 135 when she used to be 160

She won't be a star.

1) She's unattractive
2) She's a she and WMMA stinks
3) She barely speaks English

1) She's a fighter, not a model.
2) WMMA is starting out, its getting a lot better.
3) Who cares.
4) I bet you're fat.

1. She's not a draw

2. She's a steroid cheater and looks like it

3. She only fights undersized cans

4. She's a liar

5. The UFC now realizes she's not a draw after UFC 198 only did 325,000 buys and that's why she's headlining a free show this time.

6. She needs to shut up or make weight.

I love watching her fight.

Fuck the haters.

Put a new division for her.

she's only 31.

Kinda fun to watch.
Fuck the 115 and 135 lbs. Make a 120 - 140 lbs.
120 lbs : ideal for current 115 lbs, for big 105 and small 135 lbs.
140 lbs : ideal for current 135 lbs and for small 145 lbs.

Fuck the 115 and 135 lbs. Make a 120 - 140 lbs.
120 lbs : ideal for current 115 lbs, for big 105 and small 135 lbs.
140 lbs : ideal for current 135 lbs and for small 145 lbs.

I'm In.

But the whole 135lbs womens div is against that lol

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...motion-finally-see-what-it-has-in-cris-cyborg

hi-res-5a2e461cd1992f772aa0b569f3a6a41d_crop_north.jpg

Never in the history of MMA has a promotion been so reluctant to accept a contracted fighter’s stardom as the UFC was to accept that of Cris “Cyborg” Justino.

Obsessively selling the sport—both the male and female wings—as Ronda Rousey’s took plenty of time and money, and until she was blasted into obscurity by a Holly Holm head kick in November 2015, there was no room for anyone else.

Now, with Rousey gone for the better part of a year and with no return in sight, and with the bantamweight division she once ruled left in a state of flux, the UFC has been forced to accept that Rousey’s greatest foil might be the best female attraction it has got going.

So it goes Cyborg is getting another UFC fight, and this time, she’s a headliner. If nothing else, the sport makes strange bedfellows sometimes.

When Rousey ruled the roost, Cyborg was forced to the margins as an afterthought. She was afraid to come to bantamweight. She didn’t deserve a title shot because she was a PED user. She was Wanderlei Silva in a dress.

People want to see me fight in the @UFC but the only girls who want to fight me fight at 145. I'm the most ducked fighter in wmma history
— Cris Cyborg (@criscyborg) July 23, 2016

Anything the UFC and its golden goose could concoct to downplay Cyborg as a legitimate threat—and make no mistake, she always was a legitimate threat to Rousey—was done, and it was done without morals or scruples or any particular degree of tact.

Even the most ardent pro-UFC folks couldn’t support the president, Dana White, slandering a female fighter for her appearance, and top Rousey boosters couldn’t honestly say they thought Cyborg would be a cakewalk if they’d ever seen her fight.

The Brazilian is a terror in the most complimentary sense of the word. She’s graceful in her barbarity, a perpetual masterclass of technique backed up by a stopping power that almost no one in the sport can match. She’s animalistic in how she stalks prey and finishes with swift, vicious flurries. It’s a gift; it’s beautiful to the eye that’s looking around the busted noses and bleeding faces it produces.

So with Rousey more Hollywood than haymakers, the UFC has given Justino a shot. She showed up in Brazil at a UFC event, made 140 pounds and made hamburger meat out of Leslie Smith in a minute flat.

People loved it.

She was instantly a hero in her homeland, producing Octagon thrills the nation hasn’t felt since the days of a TRT-infused Vitor Belfort punting heads into the Amazon like so many soccer balls lost at a Flamengo training session.

Now she’s going back, and she’s bringing a headliner’s hell with her.

The UFC recently announced she’d be the marquee name at UFC Fight Night 95 in Brasilia in September, the type of thing that’s bound to get her country worked into a lather. Anyone who likes short main events that are rich with carnage are probably happy too, as poor Lina Lansberg is the UFC debutant drawing the assignment as Cyborg’s sacrifice. Lansberg’s 6-1 against people you’ve never heard of, and unless she is made of cast iron, you can’t like her chances.

It leads one to the conclusion that the UFC finally, in spite of itself, may understand what it has in Cris Cyborg.

She’s among the most entertaining fighters in MMA, male or female, and she has the same aura of invincibility Rousey did—only it’s been maintained for twice as long. She can carry a card and people would watch all over the world, plus she bolsters a Brazilian market that’s been flagging and can’t possibly be looking up given the publicity surrounding the Rio Olympics.

It’s a good look for the UFC and for Justino. She can be the star the promotion always wanted, even if it didn’t want to acknowledge it had her.

---

FINALLY Cyborg is starting to get the recognition she deserves. Can't wait till UFC Brasilia! Ronda WK squad triggered in 3 - 2 - 1...
She's a cheater. Cheaters fucking suck, they should all be permanently banned. Fuck Cheaters Fuck all of them.

Back