UFC does not promote stars, but annoying fighters

cyrusthevyrus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Their strategy is so bad. In the past, BJ, Hughes, GSP, Anderson, Randy, Chuck etc were stars, they had charisma and fight spirit. Not mentioning about the fighters from PRIDE.

Nowadays, you can see how poorly they promote themselves, showing off the money (Conor), showing off paid girls (Colby), playing the racist card (Woodley), being super-overrated (Kevin Lee, the wedding planner), being WWE stars (CM), looking like a barbie boy (Sage)

and leaving really good fighters silent: Whittaker, Gus, Volkov, Stipe; they had Mousasi, Rory, Rumble...

At least Khabib, TJ, Dom, Frankie are loved because they are fighters, not because of the WWE nonsense.

It's more like fighters promote themselves, and Worst Management Ever (WME) just follows up on it. lol

Where do you work, does your employer not promote those that make them the most money? Are we forgetting the UFC is a business?

It's just that Conor does what he wants (works for him with the ufc or not) and then everybody tries to be like Conor. Gotta be little more unique than that to become a star or even a notable name in the world of mma.

Where do you work, does your employer not promote those that make them the most money? Are we forgetting the UFC is a business?
what if you have a durable strategy? build characters and then promote them

Their strategy is so bad. In the past, BJ, Hughes, GSP, Anderson, Randy, Chuck etc were stars, they had charisma and fight spirit. Not mentioning about the fighters from PRIDE.

Nowadays, you can see how poorly they promote themselves, showing off the money (Conor), showing off paid girls (Colby), playing the racist card (Woodley), being super-overrated (Kevin Lee, the wedding planner), being WWE stars (CM), looking like a barbie boy (Sage)

and leaving really good fighters silent: Whittaker, Gus, Volkov, Stipe; they had Mousasi, Rory, Rumble...

At least Khabib, TJ, Dom, Frankie are loved because they are fighters, not because of the WWE nonsense.

The UFC are shite at promoting full stop.

Always hear this about the way they 'promote' certain fighters. Those Prime Time shows were pretty good, imo, and the one of the 2nd GSP v Penn fight got me more interested in the fight because of the episodes.

Give an example of a fighter being promoted. I don't think fighters are promoted, but some of them are given better opportunities than others for various reasons.

what if you have a durable strategy? build characters and then promote them
Doesn't work like that with entertainment unfortunately, the majority of casual fans who spend the money love shit talkers that can back it up like Conor, just having skills isn't enough which is why dominant Aldo called no shots and probably made peanuts.

Fighters today have no charisma and try to swaggerjack another fighter's style.

To busy trying to steal WWE money that they ignore the NFL, NBA, NHL money.

Was a time I would tell people I follow MMA cause I thought it was a sport. Now I am embarrassed to mention it.

ferrozo.jpg

To busy trying to steal WWE money that they ignore the NFL, NBA, NHL money.

Was a time I would tell people I follow MMA cause I thought it was a sport. Now I am embarrassed to mention it.

<33><21>{<hhh]

Their business is promotion.

Yes rewarding those who do excellent is totally valid. But a promotion company should not just let fighters do all the work.

By the way they even suck at it with trash talkers.

Conor, GSP and Jones are the only stars right now. Every event that does not have either one of them either struggles to make 300k ppvs or falls way short.

Colby is not a draw yet. And they stab him in the back the first chance they get. I don't even like the guy but Colby-Woodley had some potential. Now they probably ruined it unless Woodley-Till falls through and Colby keeps his PR-belt.

They suck at promoting but they have no interest in promoting fighters because they make big profits anyway. Despite shitty ppv numbers.

You can clearly see the difference in MMA from the early 90's (1 vs 1 martial art), late 90's (NHB early Cross Training), the Pride Era (Cross Training Prime), then the 2007-2012 UFC (Complete MMA Fighters that grew up cross training) and now (Complete MMA fighters from the get go)

This is cool because MMA is such a diverse and young sport, but at the same time I am 30 years old and began watching every MMA event during the 2002 Pride era, and before that I remember my dad watching the UFC1,2,3 and 4 on VHS.

So MMA you can have 30 year old fan who lived through so many different growing phases of the sport, where in Boxing it takes decades for it to change.

They should yes. But to assume management always does what is actually best for shareholders long term is pretty naive.

All of the fighters you mentioned as good have no charisma. You can't blame the ufc for that. Have you ever heard Rory talk? I've seen drywall with a more exciting personality, there's no promoting that.

Back