UFC didn't take advantage of the PPV numbers

To be fair, the card was loaded before Jones had to pull out. They decided after that they could sell the PPV with just one big match.

Still a mistake with possibly 500-700k more people watching than normally would. They saw a pretty awful show with nothing that would inspire them to order another.

They treated the show like a boxing PPV. One big main event and nothing else and the crowd acted accordingly. Quiet and didn't even fill up until the main event.

UFC should have loaded up the card. They had more eyes on their product in a long time and the did nothing to compel those people to buy another PPV again. It was a terrible show with a main event that didn't live up to the hype.

They may have done huge numbers on PPV but those people won't be coming back for more.

I have been out of the US for a while now. But my old friends who I watched Pride and UFC with, I don't think many of them really watch any PPVs at all now. Burn your customers too many times, and they stop coming back. As least the casuals that is. The hard core fans, well the UFC has us by the balls.

Mayweather bores in every fight and still gets close to a million every ppv. Also, I rather have gsp back anytime than have to watch hendricks/lawler 3.

mayweather and gsp have/had two things in common: people either tuned in to watch them win, or to watch them lose. being exciting had nothing to do with why people paid to watch them.

can i ask you why you'd rather watch gsp fight?

mayweather and gsp have/had two things in common: people either tuned in to watch them win, or to watch them lose. being exciting had nothing to do with why people paid to watch them.

can i ask you why you'd rather watch gsp fight?

You actually enjoyed hendricks vs lawler 2?

True, this isn't as bad as case as some of the others. But it follows the pattern of hyping up rushed contenders. DC is a great fighter, but he needed a real test in the LHW div. Dan and Cummins were not stellar comp, and he needed to be tested, esp given that I think the weight cut really hurt him here.

this sounds like something that might happen to mcgregor. i think he's going to destroy siver, then he's going to fight aldo and get smashed. then people are going to bitch because they will feel duped into having bought the hype.

this sounds like something that might happen to mcgregor. i think he's going to destroy siver, then he's going to fight aldo and get smashed. then people are going to bitch because they will feel duped into having bought the hype.

I agree. Connor is good, but they are pushing him WAY too fast. And as you have noted, people get hyped and dumped rather quickly. Which really gets shown here. So, people here are kinda right when a fighter finally loses, that they were over hyped.

i think Vera, outside of his stupid manager, was brought up right. He showed talent, and they fed him lower level guys, so he could shine, and get better. They really need to do that with most up and comers. No more ruining people's careers, like the Korean Zombie, he never should have fought Aldo. That was silly.

Also getting paid $20k for a title fight makes it hard to have a good camp/develop

I do not understand the thought process behind the scenes @ the UFC. This should have been a stacked card from top to bottom, but the ball was dropped before the event took place. Marquardt vs Tavares? Marquardt has been finished since his legs were chewed up by Saffiedine. Tavares will never sniff a title shot and he is a snoozer. I can see the argument for the other fights, but lack of killer instinct in some fighters is a clear problem. Miles Jury should be relegated to the prelims for the next half decade after that performance. Daniel Cormier trying so desperately for a takedown with 10 seconds to go was another eye roll moment, just as Rogan said, searching for a moral victory instead of going balls to the wall for the finish he needed.

It was a terrible card on paper.

Not imo, most people expected a highlight ko from Lombard, Horiguchi is entertaining and a tremendous FW prospect, I expected Tavares and Marquardt to be more exciting and competitive but it didn't end up like that.

This was booked to be a double champion show, and Connor McGregor.

Things don't always work out how UFC wants it. People get injured.

I've been buying PPV since 2004, and I think that was the last one. They raised prices again --WTF ? From $44.99 to $59.99 in less than year, and the cards just keep getting worse. Silva vs Diaz might be a great fight, but the card looks like more of the same.

I think they should have kept Rousey vs Puss Zingano on this card. I think they moved the Rousey fight to the Weidman card because everyone knows Weidman walks through Vitor and that fight is hard to sell. They stack that card because they know Jones-DC sells itself.

If your group is bored, it's because you are boring. Plenty of Super Bowls have been boring but the casual football fans still have a good time if you do it right.

True, but this is just a way of saying you need to do more to entertain your guests, because the biggest MMA card of the year is not going to get it done.

Who expected Cowboy to have a slow fight?? Flyweights are usually exciting and have a lot of finishes and Horiguchi has a pretty good finish rate too. Gaudinot tends to fight pretty wild. Hector Lombard is like all or nothing. Either a violent KO or a starefest so that was risky.

The only one I might've seen coming was Marquardt vs Tavares. Tavares has had a few snoozers.

For the most part, this card had a damn good chance of being exciting as hell, it was just unlucky that they all pretty much missed the mark except the main event, which was a good fight but not great.

To be fair to my boy, cowboy... his opponent was pulling a Condit all fight long. It was terrible :(

Other than that, yeah, dude... I agree.

Fights are hit or miss. They should've had more heavyweights in there though, in my opinion.

Seems like Dana is going with the Boxing model....big main event, decent co-main, and crappy under cards. Long gone are the days of five stacked fights that either meant something or were fun grudges.

It's the best way for them to make money, they know they have a main event they can sell and that's all it takes.

True, but this is just a way of saying you need to do more to entertain your guests, because the biggest MMA card of the year is not going to get it done.

Which is it? Because all I'm reading now is "this card wasn't stacked" and "i knew this was gonna be boring"

Which is it? Because all I'm reading now is "this card wasn't stacked" and "i knew this was gonna be boring"

Well, Sherdog gonna Sherdog. But I should have said most anticipated fight, because while I had nothing against the other fights, they themselves were not the big draw.

I personally do not mind slow paced fights, just like I do not mind low scoring hockey and football games. There was something specially somnolent about the Tavares-Marquardt fight.

Well, they couldn't really know that the Lombard fight and the Cerrone fight would not be good, but they really could have done a better job with the other matchups.

Back