UFC didn't take advantage of the PPV numbers

No, No, and No

You want a sure fire KO finish on a card, you don't bank on Flyweight division to deliver that.

You put two sloppy heavyweights together for that job, like Shawn Jordan vs Jared Cannonier.

Kyoji has 9/15 wins via KO. Better ratio then a lot of HWs. He's like asian Dodson. Its perfectly reasonable to expect him to finish, especially since they're trying to build him up.

Yeah, the UFC always hypes a dominate champ. Friggin Hardy was suddenly some Ko machine. After a casual watches a card, they gotta wonder why they even bothered.

Hardy was definitely one of the more egregious examples. He was rushed into that fight well before he was ready (ok realistically he never would have been ready but he hadn't done enough to be considered a contender at that point) and then they hyped the shit out of it. I remember things like if Serra who isn't a striker managed to land on GSP, what was gonna happen when this devastating KO artist fights GSP and only needs to touch him once to put him to sleep. People went into that fight thinking it was going to be an "edge of your seat" fight. They are still probably trying to figure out today why they shelled out $60 for it!

I am not a "the sky is falling" kind of MMA fan. But I do think the UFC has been making a mistake for some time in how it hypes fights. They are being too short-sighted. Yeah it may get you a few more PPV buys but ultimately you lose what might have been a regular customer. Think about whoever paid for DC/Cummins. I know they can't just come out and say "this card is gonna be somewhere between meh and ok". But some of the hype is basically just flat-out lying in how it sets expectations for those that don't know better. Better to have a balanced card and hype the whole thing then to oversell one aspect of it and then have all your eggs in that basket because the rest of the card is sub-standard.

The UFC put together 2 very solid co-mains and couldn't have known the other fights would be as bad as they were. But they rolled the dice on fights that had the potential to bomb instead of loading up on a card that probably had a record number of casuals and their one chance to snag many of them as future fans.

I've always wondered as a single fight how much Rashad vs. Rampage hurt the UFC.

Biggest letdown that I can think of off the top of my head. I don't know if all the time off between the fight and TUF was what did it or it was just mostly fake-hype to begin with. Then Rampage laying an egg didn't help. I was so excited for that fight until it actually started.

Haven't we all accustomed ourselves to the inconceivable notion by now that the UFC seems to be doing just that? They seriously seem to be focused on determining precisely how diluted and disimpassioned a product they can deliver and still scrape by the standard baseline profit for their numbers. Really pathetic. They should have had a Lauzon-Varner or a Faber-MacDonald type of matchup on last night's card to strengthen it.

Not to say that last night's card was bad. There were a few fights I was looking forward to (Jones Cormier not included) but if this is the best they can produce for a PPV, they seriously need to shake up their executive management.

its cheaper this way for them and people bought it - they know we ain't that smart as a fan base otherwise and capitalize

You didn't put down $60, you split it.

Sorry your group was boring.....mine spent way more money that that and had a blast all the same.

Correction spent $15 between the four of us (girlfriends/wives didn't pay); but even at $15 its enough for us to stay focused on the screen. Thats good though that your friends having a better time than my friends while having spent more money though; it means there is a better chance it'll happen again soon for your group than mine.

As i'll be back to the bar scene for them, no doubt. Was a nice change of pace, just wished it delivered better for my group so that we could do it more often.

tv slots are what they need to capitalize on. prelims were good

... and sometimes the Super Bowl is 45-7. The UFC can't control the outcome of the fights, and I assure you they wanted a few finishes as badly as you did. That's the way it goes sometimes, and ultimately the suspense of the unknown is what makes the finishes so great.

They control the matchups. None of these matchups had any hype behind them or were even ppv worthy. The only matchup relevant to a division was Cerrone v. Jury, and even then, you don't expect Jury to be an exciting fighter based on his UFC fights.

Gaudinot isnt even an elite flyweight, let alone ppv worthy. Horiguchi is a prospect. Nate and Tavares were one loss away from being cut. Burkman might not even be UFC worthy, let alone have his first fight back be on a ppv.

These are not fighters or matchups you make expecting to draw eyes to your sport. These are fillers.

The UFC is diluting its product. In fact, it kinda reminds me of those Guitar Hero games. They had a great product and then pushed out so much of it non-stop they effectively nuked its market. I know plenty of people who have felt burned by UFC PPVs. You can get some seriously lackluster fights for $60. They need to stack their stars on their PPVs, IMO, and leave most of the other fighters to cable. They can't get away with 2-star PPVs like boxing can. That or put some more effort into it. Look at Pride and how the pageantry of those shows in and of itself was worth watching. The UFC is all macho-macho and that's about it. The whole buildup is done to death by this point. It seems like a machine repeating itself. Not very entertaining.

Thats why buying a card is a always a risk. Best cards can turn out shitty. Perfect example last night.

Hardy was definitely one of the more egregious examples. He was rushed into that fight well before he was ready (ok realistically he never would have been ready but he hadn't done enough to be considered a contender at that point) and then they hyped the shit out of it. I remember things like if Serra who isn't a striker managed to land on GSP, what was gonna happen when this devastating KO artist fights GSP and only needs to touch him once to put him to sleep. People went into that fight thinking it was going to be an "edge of your seat" fight. They are still probably trying to figure out today why they shelled out $60 for it!

I am not a "the sky is falling" kind of MMA fan. But I do think the UFC has been making a mistake for some time in how it hypes fights. They are being too short-sighted. Yeah it may get you a few more PPV buys but ultimately you lose what might have been a regular customer. Think about whoever paid for DC/Cummins. I know they can't just come out and say "this card is gonna be somewhere between meh and ok". But some of the hype is basically just flat-out lying in how it sets expectations for those that don't know better. Better to have a balanced card and hype the whole thing then to oversell one aspect of it and then have all your eggs in that basket because the rest of the card is sub-standard.

The UFC put together 2 very solid co-mains and couldn't have known the other fights would be as bad as they were. But they rolled the dice on fights that had the potential to bomb instead of loading up on a card that probably had a record number of casuals and their one chance to snag many of them as future fans.

True, this isn't as bad as case as some of the others. But it follows the pattern of hyping up rushed contenders. DC is a great fighter, but he needed a real test in the LHW div. Dan and Cummins were not stellar comp, and he needed to be tested, esp given that I think the weight cut really hurt him here.

There are bad cards, it happens(Pride 30 anyone?). But the UFC seems to not even try to set up good cards, or at least have some decent co main events. It's not awful, but you can see the decline in quality.

Not as bad as UFC 76 with Liddell / Jardine called "Knockout" without a single knockout in the results.

What a shit thread. Lol!

The card was terrible from the start.

It had only two good fights on there. What did you expect? The UFC is who put out another stinker with a a bad line up of match ups.

Why in the hell is Tavares on any card? He should be a prelim fighter for life. And what has Marquardt done in years to get on a card with a Jones/Cormier type of fight other than make his ass whoppings look exciting by getting crushed so badly.

I bet there would have been twice as many finishes on the card if they just used the small cage.

It was a great card on paper with the potential with some really exciting fights, just didn't turn out that way, it happens.

cant predict fights.

Good cards happen that dont sell, look at 178. Then everyone complains about low PPV numbers and UFC is dying and cant create stars.

Shit happens, sometimes big cards/fights deliver, sometimes they dont, sometimes cards that dont sell become the event of the year.

They treated the show like a boxing PPV. One big main event and nothing else and the crowd acted accordingly. Quiet and didn't even fill up until the main event.

UFC should have loaded up the card. They had more eyes on their product in a long time and the did nothing to compel those people to buy another PPV again. It was a terrible show with a main event that didn't live up to the hype.

They may have done huge numbers on PPV but those people won't be coming back for more.

As a big fan of the sport since its early days I have to agree. Alot of the fihts were snoozers and alot of my friends fell asleep during the fights up until the main event. One even fell asleep after the thirs round of the main event. More often than not the free cards the UFC puts up are more exciting than the ppvs. Thats a shame too because not much can be done to counter that from happening. Do I regret ordering 182? Yes because I ended up giving Jones a % of what I paid, I can only hope DC got some ppv cut just to make that more tolerable. This was the first Jon Jones fight I went out of my way to watch since the Rampage fight.

Was that one of the events with the least finishes? Probably the most boring card of all time?

first ppv my family bought in years and it was shit

Back