UFC didn't take advantage of the PPV numbers

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by High Altitude, Jan 4, 2015.

1. High Altitude

High Altitude Brown Belt

UFC has more people watching the PPV in a long time and all the fighters did is give all these people another reason why they should not be buying.

Huge opportunity to gain some traction lost.

2. estranged

estranged Black Belt

not like they knew what's gonna happen tho

3. cheequee

cheequee White Belt

agreed TS

4. Maladroit

Maladroit Purple Belt

Tavares vs Marquardt and Horiguchi vs Green Hair didn't atract new fans, that's for sure. Those were FS2 caliber fights since the beginning.

5. Kirin

Kirin Death Operator Platinum Member

Totally agree, ts. When you are anticipating such a large audience, you should be trying to wow them and have them chomping at the bit to come back for more rather than underwhelming them, making them regret their purchase/their time investment, and being skeptical on whether they'll be ordering another ppv this year.

6. KeepItRealist

KeepItRealist Gold Belt

Yeah, I think it will impact potential Weidman vs Belfort buys.

Silva vs Diaz should not be a PPV main event. It should have been on the undercard of this fight or Weidman-Belfort.

7. VIP1349

VIP1349 Silver Belt

Wasn't the best show for sure but you have two great PPV's coming up, they may not do the numbers 182 did but they'll still do fine. You assume Lombard will finish and you assume Jury won't not fight at all. Shit happens.

8. MMA

MMA Silver Belt Platinum Member

Who expected Cowboy to have a slow fight?? Flyweights are usually exciting and have a lot of finishes and Horiguchi has a pretty good finish rate too. Gaudinot tends to fight pretty wild. Hector Lombard is like all or nothing. Either a violent KO or a starefest so that was risky.

The only one I might've seen coming was Marquardt vs Tavares. Tavares has had a few snoozers.

For the most part, this card had a damn good chance of being exciting as hell, it was just unlucky that they all pretty much missed the mark except the main event, which was a good fight but not great.

9. orangecuse

orangecuse Gold Belt

They did too take advantage of their fans. They hyped it up, they had a big #timeisnow promotion and never once mentioned the price increase during the hype.

10. I Hate You

I Hate You _________________

I've said for years, having GSP as the champ boring people to death was killing them in the long run. Having a million folks turning over hard earned cash only to be bored to sleep was not a good business plan. Well, here we are a few years later, MMA is dying for fan support and they get the chance to turn it around, and well... the ghost of GSP rises.

11. Navy_Chief

Navy_Chief Black Belt

Seems like Dana is going with the Boxing model....big main event, decent co-main, and crappy under cards. Long gone are the days of five stacked fights that either meant something or were fun grudges.

12. INoHespectChael

INoHespectChael Black Belt

Mayweather bores in every fight and still gets close to a million every ppv. Also, I rather have gsp back anytime than have to watch hendricks/lawler 3.

13. Meathead Jock

Meathead Jock WAR ASKREN

This.

Have to agree though with the TS, aside from the main events first 3-4 rounds, everyone at the get together was pretty bored. Had the fights delivered more there probably would have been talk of doing it over again for Silva vs Diaz, but I think most of the casuals left the night fairly bored wishing they would have spent their time and dollars elsewhere. Not to mention the awkward McGregor interview that dragged on and on.

14. Kingfarthur

Kingfarthur Purple Belt

They have 47 events this year, it practically impossible for them to stack a ppv card.

15. 86'd

86'd Cha Ching!

I did. Not because of Cerrone, but because of Miles Jury. Dude is a scrub.

As far the main card goes, the only fight I thought had a chance of having a finish was the Lombard fight. And Burkman is a savy enough veteran that was reaching

Even at the prediction drawing at the bar I was attending I predicted all decs. other than the Lombard fight.

16. Fumbles

Fumbles Yellow Belt

Pretty sure they were going for it. With Hector, Horiguchi and Cerrone I'm sure they were expecting all of those to be exciting finishes. Just how the dice rolls sometimes.

17. killacali

killacali Yellow Belt

agreed TS good thread

18. McSpikes

McSpikes Purple Belt

They should have had the obvious KO having HW fight on the main card instead of roidless Nate

19. skombolis

skombolis Gold Belt

That must have been a nightmare for casuals. I was literally thinking that during the card. I was having a hard time giving a shit until some sporadic moments in the Cowboy fight and then Jones and DC. And had I not been emotionally invested in the fight and who won, I could see being kind of "meh" about it and I am a regular follower.

For casuals and especially casuals hoping to see an exciting card and an exciting main with DC winning, it is hard to imagine what they took away from that card. And given all the hype, what are the chances of them buying into anything like that level of it again? Once maybe at best and for some only? The UFC better hope the next card is awesome.

20. skombolis

skombolis Gold Belt

There have been a few prelims lately that I thought produced better than the main cards